Night Is The New Day - potential 5.1 mix???

thedeadwing

Aug 30, 2004
Some time after TGCD was released (I think it was about a year later) Peaceville re-released that album as a CD+DVD package with 2 Bonustracks taken from the My Twin EP and a 5.1 surround mix of the whole album. I must admit I haven't listened to the 5.1 mix of TGCD that much, but mainly because TGCD doesn't really benefit from the surround environment imho. Maybe it could have done better mixed in 5.1, I don't know exactly...

...BUT:

With the musical depth of 'Night Is The New Day' with its many atmospheric layers I could imagine it would work perfectly in 5.1 surround sound, if mixed properly. I hope for such a treatment for this masterpiece! What do you think about that idea? Would you support such a release if it may happen?

I would get it simply because I own a pretty awesome surround sound system that really can show off some 5.1 mixes quite well, lightbulb sun is a good example. Sounds entirely different on it and yes, of course id pick up a 5.1 mix in a heartbeat.

I'd get it only if it included every single song from the NITND sessions (including all b-sides). TGCD was still missing "Code Against The Code" and "Unfurl" (yes I know that song wasn't recorded at the same time but it still belongs on the album since it was a b-side to a song that actually was on the album).

I'd get it only if it included every single song from the NITND sessions (including all b-sides). TGCD was still missing "Code Against The Code" and "Unfurl" (yes I know that song wasn't recorded at the same time but it still belongs on the album since it was a b-side to a song that actually was on the album).

when will you stop complaining about extra songs not being on their albums? just like the amazing "wait outside" on black sessions, which happens to me in my top 3 katatonia songs, it wouldnt fit with the album. get over it.

I'm very much hoping for a 5.1 mix, if it's done by Steven Wilson. I don't really like Jens Bogrens surround sound mixes (from what I can tell, the TGCD-mix doesn't even make use of the center channel, and while he made signifcant progress on the Opeth 5.1-mixes he's done afterward TGCD, they don't come close to Wilson's tasteful way of doing 5.1.).

just like the amazing "wait outside" on black sessions, which happens to me in my top 3 katatonia songs, it wouldnt fit with the album. get over it.

Oh I know, if there is one thing that I hate, it's 'variety' on an album. I want every single song to have a common theme and sound so that I won't forget which album I am listening to.

:rolleyes:

I have never in my life, heard a single song off any album that made me say "wow, that song really does not belong on here". I want variety on any album and I want to hear ALL parts of the album's spectrum included, no matter how different it sounds from the rest of the material. One song could be a mosher's delight and the next song could be a gentle, cheerful r&b type piano ballad and it wouldn't phase me in the least. It's just one additional piece to the overall puzzle the band created and I want each and every little bit of it. Why this belief/frustration is not shared by my fellow music lovers is too far beyond my ability to explain.
Jack