Quality of the 5.1 mix?

Metamyr

Feb 7, 2006
Minnesota, USA
www.clanmyr.com
I just ordered the 5.1 mix of The Great Cold Distance through my local Border's book store. Using this method, i technically have no obligation to go purchase it once it comes in, but i probably will. However, I wanted to get a quick opinion on it before i do.

I've really been into surround sound mixes lately. Opeth (Still life and Watershed) were both very impressive (ghost reveries less so), and Porcupine Tree has some extremely impressive ones as well. There's also some really good depeche mode ones i've heard.

However, I've also heard some 5.1s that didn't really seem like they did much with it. They didn't expand on the original sound that much, and basically weren't worth the extra money.

So, any opinions on the great cold distance 5.1 mix? I'm a bit skeptical considering it's the first one they've done.

it's awsome man, iv'e heard sounds i never noticed on the original and alot of the drum parts sound so clear and extra juicy, as well as the guitars and effects are just nicely advanced. well worth the monies :headbang:

hmm. id agree.. there are alot of more noticable sounds, but the original album sounds pretty good through 5.1 anyway. as a sidenote, i think live consternation sounds great through 5.1 :-D