Night Is The New Day reviews

Katatonia Moderator

New Metal Member
Nov 22, 2009
Here's a list of reviews and scores so far for Night Is The New Day. If you know more, feel free to post and/or link them in this thread.

UK

Powerplay (10/10) - “…an inspiring, near-flawless metal tour-de-force that threatens to leave most of their competitors way behind and choking on their melancholic dust…”
Guitarist (5/5) - “…the standard never drops from truly masterful…”
Rocksound (9/10) - “…the Swedes have quite possibly penned their very own masterpiece here…”
Terrorizer (8/10) - “…Night is the New Day fills the vast space opened by ‘Distance’…”
Metal Hammer (8/10) - “…If this album is the result of Katatonia confronting their inner demons, let’s hope they never cheer up…”
Ultimate Guitar (9/10) - “Katatonia return with one of their most complete and gratifying efforts yet…”
Scratch The Surface (8/10) - “…it’s a unique and intense set of songs…”
One Metal (4.5/5) - “…Katatonia’s finest work to date – an album staggering in both its ambition and its accessibility, showcasing beauty and despair in equal measure…”
Thrash Hits (5/6) - “…Katatonia stand proud as one of the fore runners of the doom laced rock movement. Night Is The New Day delivers a blindingly good orchestrated soundscape. It is a perfect example showing how Jonas Renkse and Co not only helped define the genre but they also have a massive influence in shaping its forward movement…”
Kerrang (3/5) - “…keeps a creative light burning throughout…”
Shake N Stir (4/5) - “…It’s nothing short of remarkable…”
Get Ready To Rock - “…The Night And The New Day is not only the best album that Katatonia have released thus far, but also an effort that ought to one day be treated as one of the best offerings of atmospheric Rock/Metal music! It really is that simple!”
Rush On Rock (8/10) - “…this is the prog metal masterpiece fans have been praying for. Ingenious and inspirational…”
Sea of Tranquility - “…there’s no denying it sounds impressive, capturing that dark melancholy feeling atmosphere…”
Reflection Of Darkness (9.5/10) - “…It’s as if a load of angels have raided a really good music shop and decided they might like to have a go at being the best metal band in the world… it’s one hell of a brilliantly executed album…”
Zero Tolerance (4.5/6) - “…Katatonia are as beguiling & moving as ever…”
Classic Rock – “…Katatonia’s music doesn’t need dressing up because it truly speaks for itself…”

FINLAND

Soundi (5/5) - “…the most versatile and consistent Katatonia album ever…”
Sue (9/10)
Inferno Mag (3/5)
Imperiumi (8/10)
HS.fi (3/5)
Rokkizine (9/10) - “…as a whole, this could be their strongest album ever…”
Desibeli (3/5)
Yhteishyva (4/5)

DENMARK

Antenna.nu (6/6)
Diskant.dk (9/10)
GAFFA.dk (4/6)
Clonemetal – ”…Night is the new Day er en sindsrejse ind i tusmørket…”
NRG.dk (5/5) - “…Katatonia stadig har fengeren på pulsen…”
Powerofmetal.dk (95/100)

USA

Decibel (9/10) - “…Night is the New Day is so strong I’m confident with a little elbow grease Katatonia might just be the darlings of 2009. If they aren’t I’m kicking ass and taking names…”
Metal Underground (4.5/5) - ‘…Fans of any era of Katatonia’s work will love Night is the New Day, and anyone who hasn’t checked them out yet will have a stunning jumping off point to get started. The album is one to actively work through over a series of listening sessions, and each journey through just makes the music better…’
Hails & Horns – “…could possibly be the band’s finest album to date…”
Daily News Pennsylvania (4/5) - “…consider this another level of their legend…”
Metal-Rules (4.5/5)
Althaus – “…Night is the New Day is definitely one of the best albums released in 2009 and should find its way on to any music lover’s end-of-year shopping list…”
California Chronicle – “…Artist of the Week – Katatonia have completely transcended the genre they helped create with an album that defies categorization, its appeal going far beyond metal, goth, or what have you, the sound of a veteran band finally having all the pieces fall into place at the perfect time…”
Heavymetal.about.com (4.5/5) - ”…Night Is The New Day is a true album, with each song filling in a piece of a larger palette. The individual songs are their own are excellent, but taken as a whole take on a whole new dimension of power and cohesion…”
Komodorock (8.4/10) - “…Night is the New Day is a fantastic release, dark, heavy, progressive and atmospheric – just what you want from Katatonia…”
Popmatters (9/10) – “…Katatonia has completely transcended the genre they helped create with an album that defies categorization…”
Rocksellout (5/5) - “…An incredible mix of metal, gothic and indie rock influences…”
Sputnikmusic (4/5) – “…Katatonia finally start to deliver on the potential they’ve displayed for their whole career…”
Contrapuntist - ”…This is one of the best albums I’ve heard in a long, long time…”
Ultimate Guitar (8.7/10) - ”…Absolutely one of the big releases to be taken into consideration when metal’s contributions to the year 2009 come to be revisited…”
Blabbermouth (8/10) - “…the listener is bent to the band’s will and taken on the journey — uncomfortably numb, but we’d want it no other way…”

CANADA

Exclaim – ”…Night is the New Day features dark aggression at its core, swimming in ambience and post-rock atmospheres…”

NORWAY

Norway Rock Magazine (5.5/6)
Scream Magazine (5/6)
Østlendingen (5/6) - “…Katatonia rendyrker en musikkstil som de selv har mye av æren for at eksisterer…”
Imhotep (5/6) – “…Killer band. Killer album…”

GERMANY

Rock Hard (8.5/10) plus album of the month – #1 in soundcheck
Zillo album of the month – #1 in soundcheck
Legacy (14/15) plus album of the month – #1 in soundcheck
Heavy! (11/12) plus #14/76 soundcheck - “…Diese Band spíelt in einer ganz eigenen Liga!”
Metal Hammer (5/7)
The Pit (9.5/10) - “…Die Schweden sind und bleiben einmalig…”
Visions-Underground (9.5/10)
Metal.de (10 /10) – “…Mit Night Is The New Day bringen Katatonia ihren eigenen Stil endgültig zur Perfektion…”
Eclipsed (7/10)
Musikreviews (13/15)
Powermetal.de (8,5/10)
Sonic Seducer “…die katatonischen kronjuwelen…”
Sounds2Move
Plattentest.de (8/10)
Obliveon (9,5/10)
Metalnews (7/7)
Nocturnalhall (10/10)

ITALY

Metal Maniac (8/10)
Rock Hard (8.5)
Rumore (8/10)
Metal Hammer (8/10)
Grind Zone (8/10)
Debaser (4/5)
Metallus (8/10)
Metalitalia (7.5/10)
Metallized (78/100)
Loud Vision (9/10)

NETHERLANDS

Aardshock (85/100) - “…This is one of the best Katatonia-albums, if not THE best one…”
Metalfan.nl (95/100)
Roarezine (4,5/5)
Lords of Metal (94/100)
Gothtronic (9/10)

SPAIN

Kerrang (5/5) – “…the only thing I can do is to recommend as hard as I can both this album and this band…”
This Is Rock - “…They keep being the same but even more amplified…”
Rafabasa.com (9.5/10)
The Metal Circus.com (8.7/10)

SWEDEN

Sweden Rock (8/10) – “..Även denna gång är Katatonia synonymt med skyhög kvalit酔
Close-Up (8/10) – #2 in soundcheck - “…sitt starkaste album sedan Last Fair Deal Gone Down…”
Aftonbladet (4/5) - “…Den enda benämning Katatonias metal behöver är fantastisk…”
Expressen (4/5) - “…här finns så många subtila nyanser att man ständigt lockas tillbaka…”
Göteborgs-Posten (4/5) - “…ett melodiskt mästerverk att drunkna i…”
Uppsala Nya Tidning (4/5) - “…svenska mästare i gotisk dysterrock av det tyngre slaget…”
Dalarnas Tidningar (4/5) - “…suggestiva stämningar byggs upp sten för sten…”
Dagbladet I Sundsvall (4/5) - “…senhöstkänslor som faller till marken och ger näring åt den depressiva rock/metal Stockholmsbandet utvecklat och raffinerat sedan mitten på 90-talet…”
Nya skivor.se (4,5/5) – “…I sanning en potentiell klassiker i sin genre…”
Musikindustrin.se – “…en glimrande uppvisning i melankoli. Suggestiv, vacker melankoli. Känslan höst har nog sällan formulerats bättre än så här på skiva…”
Metalshrine.se (4/5) – “…Night is the new day är förträfflig i sitt varma vemod…”
Global Domination (8/10) – “…the latest in Katatonia’s amazing discography is on-par with their distinguished quality…”

FRANCE

Obskure (84/100) – “…Definately a great band among the greatest bands…”
Heavylaw 8/10 - “…Irresistible, addictive!”
Spirit of Metal 19/20
Progressive Waves 9/10 - “…Katatonia offers an oustanding, timeless and unmissable jewel. A masterpiece in the metal scene…”
Progressia 9/10 - “…Masterpiece, a black sun shining from thousand fires. Maybe the best that Scandinavian metal gave for years…”
Kaosguard - “…A new masterpiece…”
Music Waves (9/10)
Eklektic Rock (18/20)
Metalship (8,3/10)
Metalorgie (18/20)
Heavysound (8/10)
Cercle Noir (8/10)

AUSTRIA

Darkscene (9/10)
Stormbringer.at (4/5)

SERBIA

Metal Sound Mag (9.5/10) - “…One of this year’s key releases…”