Nightfall Overture Review

Dan Swanö

The Watcher
Nov 3, 2001
www.swano.com
When I heard that the Swano team had re-recorded some Nightingale songs from the first albums, I was thrilled to hear the new versions! My first impression is: WOW! First of all, the production is amazing, it definitly sounds killer and better than before. Even if I love the magic of the original recording, I really like the new versions. The guys gave an amazing perfomance on those new versions and also they re-did an Edge of Sanity song called 'Losing Myself' and this version is amazing! I always love that song so I was more than happy to hear it again with a fresh sound! Also a new track 'Better safe than sorry' got a HUGE chorus that stuck in my head instantly! If you're a fan of the band you have to check this out. This new song is more than amazing! God, that band is awesome! Swano is probably one of my favorite songwritter. This guy definitly knows how to put some hooks in a song! It's cool to have some non-complex progressive elements without forgetting to put some big melodies, hooks and memorable choruses! I love this catchy stuff! The new version of early classic 'Nightfall Overture' is strong as hell. Yes, there's plenty of my favorite Nightingale songs that wasn't on this limited edition CD (songs like 'Deep inside of Nowhere', 'Scarred for Life', 'So Long', 'Alive Again', 'Atlantis Rising' etc...) but guest what, the original version are awesome and didn't need another version. Swano redid some songs to makes them sound better and that definitly work! He made me re-discover some good songs like 'Steal the Moon', 'Alonely', 'I Return',etc.. The only little thing I could complain is the fact that I much prefer the original chorus in the song 'Revival'. Musically, this song sound 100 times better than before but he changed the vocal melody in the chorus and I much prefer the original melody. Having said that, for the overall album, the vocal performance is amazing. Probably the best performance of his career. He's tight as hell, he emotional, he's intense and sound aweosme! Another amazing record! Nightingale is like an addiction! I need another new record NOW!!! :)

Granted that the compositions of Swano and Co. are always above any preconcieved musical standards, the TRUE highlight of the 'Nightfall Overture' album is the production quality. This is a top-notch recording surpassing any work Dan has done within his own projects or while working for another band.

The magnitude of grit and clarity of the guitar sound cannot be expressed in mere words. The drum sound is simply crushing and everything else pales in comparison. Colin Richardson, Andy Sneep, Fredrik Nordstrom, and Daniel Bergstrand take heed. You have been surpassed. If this album is widely circulated, you will be losing a lot of clients to Mr. Swano.

My first thought was that this album would be a nice celebratory way for Dan, Dag and the Nightingale bunch to reflect on their accomplishments. Upon further review, this album takes aim at every aspect of the business of creating music. From sound engineering, mixing, technical competency, this album serves as a measuring stick from which all other prog, metal, rock musicians SHOULD be judged.

The immediately accessible and very personal 'Better Safe Than Sorry' is a nice touch and an otherwise FLAWLESS album.

Actually, the only thing I'm not so excited over is the drum sound on Nightfall Overture and Dreamreader

Thanx Matt....very warming words. I am slowly getting where I wanna be.
The mixes I am finishing right now, THE PROJECT HATE and EDEN´S FALL both sounds really nice and this far SECOND SKY sounds just like I dreamt it would

Here I was starting to put Second Sky in the same timeframe as 'Chinese Democracy'.
I'm still holding on....

Dan -- The thing I really like about the album is that even though it's a greatest hits of sorts, the songs are different. They are a different listening experience than the originals. I think that makes it a really worthwhile purchase.

I agree with that review pretty much to the word! The new album has re-kindled my love of Nightingale 100%!! Since I first listened to it with my full attention yesterday, I've played it 4 times, plus played Alive Again, The Breathing Shadow, Emotional Wasteland, the first 2 Unicorn demos, and Moontower! This thing gave me the kick I needed to get back into Nightingale, and the great sound on it just makes it so much fun to listen to!

The songs that I really prefer the originals of are Revival, Alonely and maybe Glory Days, since those were 3 of my absolute favourites and just don't have quite the same vibe. I still love the new versions, and the run of songs from Revival, Steal the Moon, Alonely and I Return is one of the best things I've heard in a long time!

Really eh? I don't know if I like the sound of Moontower's guitars/keys too much, it's a little on the lifeless side. He's come a long way since then to my ears.

Hi folks!
I´ve just become a new member of this Nigtingale forum, just because I´m a fan to the band I just had to join you all ;) . I´ve to tell you that I got the *Nightfall overture* album today and just like the review above I agree 100%. The album is fantastic. VERY well done you guys in Nightingale. Damn it, you all play so tight together *so professional* and the sound overall is amazing, so clear and there´s so much energy in all of the songs. I´ve to say that Swanö himself has one of the best voices in the world *perfect hardrock vocalist* with so much energy and feeling in using the voice the right way in every moment of singing.

Keep on rocking guys! :headbang: I´m impressed! Tomorrow will be with you!

Mvh Jimmy/Jimbob

Djm said:
Here I was starting to put Second Sky in the same timeframe as 'Chinese Democracy'.
I'm still holding on....

and I'm still waiting for Chinese Democracy

I know Matt's gonna have a hard time believing that!