Nightfall Overture: Why Stop?

Eyesore

Apr 9, 2002
Boston
www.eyesoretimes.com
OK, so I finally got my copy of Nightfall Overture and it is simply brilliant!! I really like The Breathing Shadow, but compared to the rest of the CDs I think the sound of the CD suffers!! It does have a bit of its own magic because of that sound and I've always loved the CD, but now that I hear these songs on Nightfall Overture I just can't help but want to hear the rest of the songs from The Breathing Shadow in that same manner! =)

So, any chance of that whole CD being re-recorded?? :headbang:

Hi there

It´s not entirely out of the question. I once did something called the atlanta medley with a bunch of trax from the first album. I always wanted to re-do Gypsy Eyes...maybe one day...I am not dead yet!!

if you continue this project, please keep an eye on "Scarred For Life". It´s one of my favourite tracks EVER and I adore the last guitarpart in there :dopey:

So this is already brilliant as it is, but when this could be any better, then I probably will listen to only one song for several months in a row :D

See, I think every album but The Breathing Shadow has a sound consistent with each other, you know? I love the new versions of the songs from the other albums, but the difference isn't that big. The difference between the new versions of The Breathing Shadow songs and the old versions is HUGE, though!!

I would like to hear a re-recorded Crimson with the same cast, just with the "Nightfall Overture" production

:)

Eyesore said:
See, I think every album but The Breathing Shadow has a sound consistent with each other, you know? I love the new versions of the songs from the other albums, but the difference isn't that big. The difference between the new versions of The Breathing Shadow songs and the old versions is HUGE, though!!

TBS was supposed to sund lika a goth record and the other ones like a hardrock band. The big difference is drumachines, syntbass and
vocal from the lower regions
If you took some of these TBS songs out of the "gothcontex" they wouldn´t surivive.

I totally agree. That is why the Atlanta medley became such a failure. Noone in the band understood when one song ended and the other begun!!! They all sounded like one schizo hardrock song with 6 different verses and choruses!!

As an old 80s Goth the first album did really appeal to that part of me, but somehow the drum machine just didn't quite work for me. Especially as Dan is more than capable himself.

What was the reasoning behind that? I kind of tribute to Doktor Avalanche perhaps?

Not sure that I would want TBS to be updated in the same style as the later albums, but I have always harboured a quiet wish to hear it with proper drums. That and see the band live, of course...

The latest version of Nightfall Overture is simply fantastic, thank you. :worship:

Hello folks, my first post! :)

I only recently discovered NIghtingale, and just picked up Nightfall Overture from the U.S. (I'm in Austraila). Great CD so far!!

Dan Swanö said:
I totally agree. That is why the Atlanta medley became such a failure. Noone in the band understood when one song ended and the other begun!!! They all sounded like one schizo hardrock song with 6 different verses and choruses!!

:D I think playing the CC album was a better choice. I think "Lesson in evil" could be a killer in a new recording but enough of the past. Now we have some new hot songs to do ....Jay Greydon !!

Yep...I think I need something to do when I am a "broke pathetic ex-not really a rockstar" I will release all my stuff re-recorded in lousy versions with bad sound and sell straight to my fans....;)

Gurgelguff said:
TBS was supposed to sund lika a goth record and the other ones like a hardrock band. The big difference is drumachines, syntbass and
vocal from the lower regions
If you took some of these TBS songs out of the "gothcontex" they wouldn´t surivive.
You think? I admit I'm a somewhat-recent Swano fan, only been listening to his work for about 2 years now, maybe less, so I'm not schooled in the history of the releases and whatnot, but I'm not sure the songs would lose their quality by re-recording them.

Sure, they would lose that sound and feel of The Breathing Shadow, but the songs would remain quality songs and therefore take on a new dynamic, you know? Like I said, The Breathing Shadow is not a bad album by any means, I love that album, but I would still love to hear those songs in the same sound of all the other Nightingale releases. Either way, I'm still a happy, subserviant fan!! :worship:

I personally find that the whole 'wall of sound' guitar tone really adds to The Breathing Shadow's atmosphere as well as the super-low vocals in some of the songs, and I think that re-recorded as an Alive Again-style album, it'd be *completely* different.

Then again, is that a bad thing? ;)

I have been pining for a rerecording of the tBT album since the idea first surfaced here. The concept of hearing A Lesson in Evil, Alone? and Eye for an Eye, all with the absolutely crushing sound Dan managed on Nightfall Overture, makes me silly with excitement.

Hell, I would go as far as to finance the recording process myself! :loco:

This whole rock style is making a big comeback in the US... I'd wager that if it fell onto the right ears, it would have the potential to be very BIG over here.

Timmeth said:
I would like to hear a re-recorded Crimson with the same cast, just with the "Nightfall Overture" production

:)

hell yeah, that would be great! After the re-recorded Crimson is released there should follow a show with that line - up playing Crimson I and II! Now that would kick ass!

I am listening to So Long (Still I Wonder) and thinking "hey, Dan should re-record this tune"

It's totally one of my favorite Nightingale songs.. it's SOOO good

Timmeth said:
I am listening to So Long (Still I Wonder) and thinking "hey, Dan should re-record this tune"

It's totally one of my favorite Nightingale songs.. it's SOOO good

So Long (Still I Wonder) is good as it is, and so is Crimson I. I think I does not need to be rerecorded, really.
For me the two rerecorded tracks from TCC have benefit from rerecording least.
I agree with Fireangel that "Scarred for life" would be a good choice.

*heh* And while we´re at it, I just had some ideas for further cover songs ;)

HIM "Buried Alive By Love" in Edge Of Sanity-Version (nice lyrics, too, "to die is to know that you´re alive".. *LOL*)
HIM "Funeral Of Hearts", one of the sweetest melodies ever, in Nightingale-Jazzprog-Version
Depeche Mode "Enjoy The Silence" in Bloodbath - Version :loco:

Just yesterday I won that Black Mark Tribute Vol. 1 from ebay, nice price, that´ll be cool to have with all the songs.

edit: Unicorn, new title? ;)