Nightingale - Tour 2005

Hi. This is my first post here, but I'm reading this forum for hm... - years. Seems that I didn't have anything smart to say till now ;) .

I met Dan's music after "Moontower" had been released and after that I kept to discover his further projects. So I beloved Unicorn, Pan-Thy-Monium, Karaboudjan, but of course Nightingale was the mostly liked. Surely one of the few favourites bands ever. So, after the news about The Aniversary Tour had been released, decision about going to see Dan, Dag, Tom and Eric playing live was quick and clear. Everything booked - plane, concert tickets, hotel. We live in Poland (Krakow) and You know - it's a few hundreds of kilometers but nevermind ;) . I though, that Berlin (You know - its a little town in Germany ;) ) - perhaps the capital of european rock/metal music (i mean numbers of gigs being organized) would be the best place to see Nightingale. I read about the club - K17 - 4 condignations, some significant bands played there. I was sure that should be the best place...
But when we were aproaching to this place on Tuesday evening, from second to second i realized that I was a bit wrong ;). There was no crowd, almost nobody in front of the entrance. I had 666 strange quick thoughts like "concert cancelled!", "wrong date, man!", "not this k-17 club", "wrong city" etc... No poster, no nothing to make me calm. We are showing tickets (a moment of thrill) and... we are entering. Small scene and (thanks goat!) Nightingale's logo behind the scene. ok, let's buy some beer! but... where the fuck is the audience?! Just few people sitting at the bar. I was totaly confused (the time was 20 pm, so the gig should be started soon). Ok, beer bought, CD, DVD, T-shirt bought, Polish fans met (greetings!). Yes, Polish group of fans was very significant - 5 people (haven't met before), what was the 25% of the all audience this evening... It was the first concert in my life I could count all the attendance. I was as much suprised as dissapointed. I couldn't understand this fact. I still can't.
Anyway - the first band started to play. I dont want to comment, some people here said that they played ok but for me it was horrible and please don't make me drill this topic more. The second band was much better but after all I was so anxious about the last band gig that I couldn't analyze the gigs before.
After all guys from Nightingale started the final arrangmets. I felt that they were disappointed about the audience and it looked it would be not very good atmosphere. Fortunely, I was wrong again this evening. The show started, all (so few :) ) people gathered by the little scene and first time I felt good this day. "Nightfal Overture" made me forget about all the strange circumstances. And next "Raincheck on my Demise" made the Band forget these either. Everybody had a great time (especialy me ;) ) jumping, moshing, singing - what they prefered best. I saw no man standing with hands in the pocket. The sound was quite good, and the songs perfectly perfomed, a bit more aggresive, rocky, some of them (ie "Deep Inside of Nowhere" a bit re-arranged I think) . The idea of playing keyboards from a playback was very good (but they should have be a bit more loudly).
So, i was enjoying the concert like little beavis-style boy at the rock-party :) but SOME PEOPLE ON THE STAGE were not serious too! I must say that Dag is the most evil-looking musician i've ever seen ;) . More than guys from Dark Funeral which i saw few years ago. And the neon-lights in Dag's mouth made me to roll on the floor laughing (I couldn't focus on the show man!).
I won't write down the whole setlist, because it was the same as gigs before. More or less. After the show it was a time for a little chat, photos and so on. Very nice.
Great that guys played the best as they could, no metter how many people had come. Some say that's profesionalism - i will say that they simple love to do it. I saw Dan's face happy like little kid enjoying new toy :) . Rest of the band either.
Once again thanks to all of them and all of the audience who had a good time dispite the fact of small attendence. All of that made this evening strange, special and unforgetable.

Special :wave: to Polish fans met there (You promised to send me my photo - kriz@black.art.pl please! :) ).

Berlin? A town with no Nightingale fans... Conquered. Shame on You.

The gig in Arnhem definitely rocked! Even though there were not many people, those who were there all seemed to like it. It's a pity that Nightingale is only playing in such remote places as Baarlo and Arnhem. I am from The Hague and it took me all the night to get back, but is was really worth it. Next time I hope you will get booked in "013" Tilburg or "De Melkweg" in Amsterdam. Nightingale's level is way higher than most bands playing in these large venues.

cheers, hertog http://hertog.lightman.nl

heeeeeeYYY!!!
i was in arnhem!!!
well.. it took me long time to reach arnhem. hehehe.. anyway i live in delft.. near the hague,, but everything was good!! i met him personally, talk with them and everything!! pics included. !! is for me (a bolivian guy... yeah.. southamerica!) a big luck to see them live!!! thats it.. hehe.. i just want to thank them to be so good people!! !!
i had to stay walking around in arhnem... i didnt know that the trains stop at midnight.. hhhe.. anyway everything was perfect that time!!! :hotjump:
some pics soon!

marcelo

It was a great show @ Baarlo. Not that much people, but it was great and there was a nice atmosphere. Had a chat with Dan and co, I met Cenzu and I took a lot of pictures from the show (I will upload them on Sunday or Monday).

Thanks for the pictures!
I see that guys from the other bands did backing vocals. Can you tell us a bit about? They did'nt do it in Krefeld, so I'm asking.

Ha yes! During 'Still Alive' Dan called everybody for some backing vocals, and the guys from 'Dynamic Lights' got on stage and had a sing-along with Tom and Erik. It was totally awesome because everybody was having fun at that moment.

The gig at Baarlo was pretty cool, and it was probably the most crowd there from all the tour-places (Unicorn, you should have come there, too ;) )

They played "Deep Inside Of Nowhere" aswell, I liked that very much, and also after a bit more than a week of tour you couldn´t find any sign they´d be more tired than at the beginning. Dag brought a thing_like_"teeth" that flash up in different colours, he used that at one song and it was a pretty remarkable view :tickled:

Dynamic Lights-people came later to couple of visitors, me, too, and thanked we were there *LOL* They ruled again, while Tomorrow´s Eve had less response than at Krefeld, I don´t know, they started with a good song but then it went down. They have a damn good groove at some points, so if they would just cut out all the keyboard-show off and too long parts in songs which don´t fascinate and where they lose the audience, then they would be really decent.

A downthing was that between NG-set and encore the Organizer of Baarlo had to go on stage and announce the Prog-Power festival (which takes place at the same venue) quite extensively. That cut the mood and it didn´t fit in. Nicer would have been to hand out little papers with the information, or just make a short (!!!) announcement, and this maybe before the whole Nightingale-gig. I believe most visitors anyhow know about PP. Fortunately NG came back afterwards, even if people had to be silent to listen to all the talking...

btw, can anyone tell me if Tom Björn has an UM-account, too and which name?

Safely back home!
Baarlo was great. Everyone in the band seemed to have such a good time and it was very nice.
now off to bed!
hope the guys from Nightingale got home safley from the tour.

ps.
It was nice meeting you somberlaine and fireangel.

As the organizer of the gig in Baarlo we would like to thank all the people that were at this show. We also would like to thank all the bands who gave a perfect show. It was a good evening.

And those who did not like the promotion we made for ProgPower, well, sorry for that, but we have to take every opportunity to make promotion. I hope you all realize how much work it cost to organize a festival like ProgPower, so every bit if promotion is essential. That's why we used this opportunity.

cenzu said:
Safely back home!
Baarlo was great. Everyone in the band seemed to have such a good time and it was very nice.
now off to bed!
hope the guys from Nightingale got home safley from the tour.

ps.
It was nice meeting you somberlaine and fireangel.

Ha, you're the Finish dude Somberlain was taling about!