Nightwish: One and only complaint.

Annette's statement says a whole lot about the state of the band I think. Maybe Kamelot is giving Nightwish pointers on how to replace a singer.

From Nightwish's facebook:

We were in hell today. Vocalist in a hospital. Show about to be cancelled... But nobody gave up an inch. With the help from the ladies Elise and Alyssa from Kamelot we actually managed to pull of a relaxed and great show! The crowd doing the mass karaoke with the band playing was absolutely amazing. We were humbled and grateful at the same time. This is unity and help from friends and fans. Anette is already recovering thanks to the medical staff and whatever powers there exists. The shows will go on. We give our greatest respect to Alyssa, Elise and the crowd in Ogden Theatre, Denver. You rule!!!

From Amaranthe's facebook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djVXwl7PI_I

~Jen

I was at the Concert. The Nightwish set was smaller(around 1 hour and 5/10 minutes). Elize sang 5 songs, Marco sang 3 ou 4 and there was also some of instrumental songs....

Storytime - Elize & Alissa(singing with the lyrics on their hands)
Wish I had an angel, Amaranth, Nemo, Over the hill and far away by Elize

Was a excelent gig despite the lack of knowledge from Elize(lyrics wise). Second song they had to start over because Elize screw the opening....:)

This is so metal. You can tell Elzie is struggling with Over the Hills and the crowd is all like "don't worry, we'll help!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at the Concert. The Nightwish set was smaller(around 1 hour and 5/10 minutes). Elize sang 5 songs, Marco sang 3 ou 4 and there was also some of instrumental songs....

Storytime - Elize & Alissa(singing with the lyrics on their hands)
Wish I had an angel, Amaranth, Nemo, Over the hill and far away by Elize

Was a excelent gig despite the lack of knowledge from Elize(lyrics wise). Second song they had to start over because Elize screw the opening....:)
Based on the vibe and reaction of the crowd - do you feel that most people were happy that they performed with Elize and Alissa, or were a lot of people complaining that they should have cancelled and given refunds? In the video of "Nemo" and "Over the Hills and Far Away," the crowd reaction seems awesome, but I'm genuinely curious what people were saying after the show.

Anette is certainly entitled to her opinion, but if the fans came away satisfied, her blog post comes off looking self-serving. I feel for her, the last thing you want when you're dealing with a health scare is to stress about your job, but creating public dissension - or even the illusion thereof - doesn't seem like the best idea.

This story just shows me bigger proof that Anette has become an effin' diva. Read her statement after the show:

"And one more thing..
... I was never asked if it was ok they used Elise and Alica in the show last night. I don't think it's a good decision they made and I'm sorry for those of you who came to see the whole band but got something else. But I was very ill and this decision wasn't mine.

...Thanks for your support! And you know, this is just music. Like life, sometimes we get ill and shows do get cancelled. Rihanna wouldn't ask Britney Spears to sing for her if she was ill;=)

To think a show is more important than the humans in the band is for me, so totally not in this world."

First her own management (separate from the band), and now this? Ughh...

I agree with AngraRules. I've never liked Anette's vocals, they are too poppy, but that is all she has in common with Rihanna or Britney Spears, ha. I mean come on! Either she has a epic case of self-delusion or of insecurity. Maybe this will make the guys make up with Tarja (hope & pray)

I agree with AngraRules. I've never liked Anette's vocals, they are too poppy, but that is all she has in common with Rihanna or Britney Spears, ha. I mean come on! Either she has a epic case of self-delusion or of insecurity. Maybe this will make the guys make up with Tarja (hope & pray)

She's making it like the band is being selfish. The band did what they had to do in order to save the show for the 2,000 people there (or whatever the amount). Call that selfish... :lol:

I think you hit the nail in the head with the insecurity comment. Annette has always come across that way. She knows she's always going to be judged by the fans (at least half of them) and compared to Tarja. I think to this day, after so many years, she still has a hard time with that.

Based on the vibe and reaction of the crowd - do you feel that most people were happy that they performed with Elize and Alissa, or were a lot of people complaining that they should have cancelled and given refunds? In the video of "Nemo" and "Over the Hills and Far Away," the crowd reaction seems awesome, but I'm genuinely curious what people were saying after the show.

Anette is certainly entitled to her opinion, but if the fans came away satisfied, her blog post comes off looking self-serving. I feel for her, the last thing you want when you're dealing with a health scare is to stress about your job, but creating public dissension - or even the illusion thereof - doesn't seem like the best idea.

No complains about the stuation. After the Kamelot gig Tuomas and Troy came from backstage and explained the situation. They asked the crowd if it was ok if the played with Elize/Instrumental.

It's impressive that they already knew the songs well enough to sing them.

Perhaps NW is already looking at them as future singers (maybe ditching the single female vocalist, and doing a Therion type of thing). I don't think Anette will last. She's always getting sick on tour, or having some type of mental breakdown. It's clear that she struggles with that lifestyle, so, Nightwish, being a heavy touring band, really should be looking for somebody new to take the reins, or just bring Tarja back.

Personally, I'd be happy if Marco just sang everything.

I love what Anette brings to the records, and it was a tremendous treat watching her perform with the band in Atlanta. It's a shame that she seems a bit flaky and overly emotional, particularly in a public space where it can come off as unprofessional... certainly doesn't help her job security. I hope she finds her balance as I hope to see and hear much more of her work in the future.

- Chris

It's clear that she struggles with that lifestyle, so, Nightwish, being a heavy touring band, really should be looking for somebody new to take the reins, or just bring Tarja back.
This statement is a contradiction. No one struggled with "that lifestyle" more than Tarja. Just saying.

I'm a bit disappointed in Anette for making that statement especially when it appeared she really had developed the confidence to deliver consistently and truly feel a part of the band. Getting sick happens - to just about everyone, especially vocalists. I think it was admirable that the band decided not to disappoint the fans. And should they have made Kamelot cancel too? Anette seems to be looking at the situation from a very limited, personal perspective. As a fan who lost a lot of money over Tarja's cancellations, I think allowing the fans to get something for their money is commendable and, after all, it's just one show - hopefully.

This statement is a contradiction. No one struggled with "that lifestyle" more than Tarja. Just saying.

Tarja is still living "that lifestyle" though. She's still touring with a "metal" band (even if they're not playing metal anymore). The only difference is that it's her solo band, her show and she basically calls the shots. It's not like she's performing 5 times/year at the Opera. :lol:

I agree with you.

That being said, I'd be SO SAD if my band went on and replaced me without my knowledge. I don't know about the band dynamics when it comes to Nightwish, but I like to think that we're all friends (we have BBQs!) and that when we joke about replacing each other, it's just a joke. I couldn't imagine doing a show without one of my guys and not saying anything to them. That seems very strange.

However I agree that she probably shouldn't have made her feelings so public. Now everyone knows that something is up with Nightwish. They made a mistake in not speaking to her privately, and now she's made that same mistake.

I agree with you.

That being said, I'd be SO SAD if my band went on and replaced me without my knowledge. I don't know about the band dynamics when it comes to Nightwish, but I like to think that we're all friends (we have BBQs!) and that when we joke about replacing each other, it's just a joke. I couldn't imagine doing a show without one of my guys and not saying anything to them. That seems very strange.

I totally hear you on that. However, it doesn't seem to me as though as Anette is an equal part of Nightwish as the other members. She's the "recent hire", in other words. She's in Nightwish, but the band isn't hers and she doesn't make the calls. No matter how much people say otherwise, I think she's no decision maker, nor does she having decision-making powers in the band.

However I agree that she probably shouldn't have made her feelings so public. Now everyone knows that something is up with Nightwish. They made a mistake in not speaking to her privately, and now she's made that same mistake.

Agreed. She should be smarter than that, but hey, that's what divas/drama queen do right? She said in her statement that she "was never asked if it was okay to do the show with Alissa and Elize", but not that she was "never told." For all we know, she may have gotten a call saying "Hey, just to let you know, we're doing the show with the girls."

Option a) Don't perform. Band, promoter, venue and booking agency all lose money. Fans get very upset because they bought tickets to a show and didn't get it.

Option b) Allow band to go on and do ONE show with a replacement. Everyone walks away happy. Everyone makes the money. Get better, come back kicking even more ass to make up for it the next gig.

Who's really sounding selfish here?

It's impressive that they already knew the songs well enough to sing them.

Perhaps NW is already looking at them as future singers (maybe ditching the single female vocalist, and doing a Therion type of thing). I don't think Anette will last. She's always getting sick on tour, or having some type of mental breakdown. It's clear that she struggles with that lifestyle, so, Nightwish, being a heavy touring band, really should be looking for somebody new to take the reins, or just bring Tarja back.

Personally, I'd be happy if Marco just sang everything.

he said that he did not know all the lyrics