Nile is the best American death metal band

Having picked up Nile's latest CD a few weeks ago, I must honestly say that I am not impressed at all. Have been listening to Death Metal for the lasat 15 years and I am not sure what the hype is all about. Pretty generic and unmemmorable songs.

Yes they can play, but the songs are all forgetable and numerous bands do what they do a lot better, ie: Morbid Angel, Decapitated, Cannibal Corpse.

Also hear they are a dismal live act to boot. Standing around like wooden stakes on stage. Not a good thing for a band that plays high energy music. Napalm Death has been wiping the floor with them on the current tour. Will check them out myslef when the hit NY next month.

Menawhile the latest CD has been put on Ebay ... Sorry, flavor of the month.

I personally thought that their live show was amazing!! sounded so damn good. and they move around as much as they can having to play what they play..

Nile:yuk: I have had the displeasure of seeing them a few times on various tours (about to see them AGAIN next week:rolleyes: ). I guess I am just really not into this type of music. It's fucking NOISE in my opinion...a close runner up is Hate Eternal. Damn these guys are bad. Let the flaming begin...

Originally posted by ShadowLioness
Nile:yuk: I have had the displeasure of seeing them a few times on various tours (about to see them AGAIN next week:rolleyes: ). I guess I am just really not into this type of music. It's fucking NOISE in my opinion...a close runner up is Hate Eternal. Damn these guys are bad. Let the flaming begin...

What the shit are you seeing them next week for then? 3 out of 5 bands on that tour are all in the same vein of extreme aggression. SYL and Dark Tranquility are different, but Nile plays after them... you can just leave.

BTW, I don't really like Nile either. I tried time after time to get into Black Seeds of Vengeance, but I just couldn't do it... then I heard some songs on the new one.. Didn't really care for them.. Tony Laureano kicks ass though... I've heard about half of Catacombs... I don't find anything special on there either.

I admit that extreme death metal like Nile takes some getting used to. One thing that used to bother me about that style of death metal is that during the blast beats it's sometimes hard to hear what the guitars are playing, as the drums almost drown them out. But after a while you get used to it. The guitarwork is often very technical and complex. I like many other bands that play extreme death metal, like Insision, Cannibal Corpse, Hate Eternal, Sinister, Immolation..... If you don't like Nile, you probably don't like those bands either. I suppose it's somewhat of an aquired taste.

I'm not sure if I'd say Nile is the best US death metal band, but if they aren't, they're damned close.

One thing I do know is that Nile is not "noise" by any stretch of the imagination, opinion or not. If they are to you, your definition of "noise" is off. They ARE wickedly brutal technical death metal, which of course is not everyone's cup of tea.

Actually, the "flavor of the month" is to hate Nile. Extreme metal fans (ie. those with a mind to even hear the music) call them out on everything from gimmicky to merely commonplace, while metal fans unaccustomed to this kind of progressive music say its just noise.

I can't argue with the former claims very well-- if you believe any types of artistic endowments are gimmicks, or that Nile themslves actually considers their work somehow representative of Egypt (hahaha - *fiction* people, un-nihilistic and "gay" though it may seem to you), then you are an idiot who hasn't read this far besides. And if you really think Nile offers nothing new in their melodies and riffs, then you should suggest to me the preceeding bands which Nile supposedly rip off. Of course, no one can guarantee a person will like a certain melody, that's somewhat personal. Those naysayers should at least admit to that, rather than make up stupid qualifying reasons which only reassert their ignorance.

More frustrating, but easier to understand are the people who claim Nile has no melody, and is just a blur of noise. Like others have said, smashing the antiu and like songs seem at first like atonal washes of blastbeats, but when you take the time and intellectual courage to listen to whats being played underneath, you find deftly structured melodies. I do like traditional metal, but Nile stands above them-- listen closely to Serpent Headed Mask or Barra Edinazzu. Melody is more than arch enemy harmonies or nightwish vocals. I wish I knew more theory to say more about that, but suffice it to say you dont need to be a music major to understand nile's melodies-- just an active listener. Headbang on, otherwise.

Now, this is coming from someone who used to listen to some of the most melodically simple music around, and even I was (eventually) able to open my mind to the band. Of course, actively listening to another's argument seems to be a lacking skill in this generation.

The criticism Nile actually deserves few give or properly articulate, which is that their work has gotten progressively LESS interesting since Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka (though the change is almost imperceptible on Black Seeds). ITDS is their most straightforward, melodically and structurally simple album yet. It does make other headways with emotionally poignant, epic melodies though (sarcophogus end, wind of horus riffs, invocation to seditious heresy beginning/end riff). I'm still hoping for the progressive quality of neprhen-ka mixed in with this new penchant.

So yes-- Nile is america's current best death metal band. I love morbid angel, but they need to put out an album like Formulas again to "regain" the throne-- and even still, their more groove oriented style doesn't neccesarily displace or even compete with Nile, imo. They co-exist as kings of metal, hehehe.

Originally posted by Life Sucks
I admit that extreme death metal like Nile takes some getting used to. One thing that used to bother me about that style of death metal is that during the blast beats it's sometimes hard to hear what the guitars are playing, as the drums almost drown them out. But after a while you get used to it. The guitarwork is often very technical and complex. I like many other bands that play extreme death metal, like Insision, Cannibal Corpse, Hate Eternal, Sinister, Immolation..... If you don't like Nile, you probably don't like those bands either. I suppose it's somewhat of an aquired taste.

I do like other bands like Immolation, Insision, Suffocation, etc... but I just don't like Nile... I tried my best to get into them, but couldn't.

Originally posted by kuraikat
Actually, the "flavor of the month" is to hate Nile. Extreme metal fans (ie. those with a mind to even hear the music) call them out on everything from gimmicky to merely commonplace, while metal fans unaccustomed to this kind of progressive music say its just noise....
....So yes-- Nile is america's current best death metal band. I love morbid angel, but they need to put out an album like Formulas again to "regain" the throne-- and even still, their more groove oriented style doesn't neccesarily displace or even compete with Nile, imo. They co-exist as kings of metal, hehehe.

Wow, man. Very nicely put. Do you write for a 'zine or something?

markgugs--

nope, i teach and tutor english though. it would be fun to write for a zine someday, though id have to properly punctuate/capitalize my lazy writing...

i am working on a nile website (on the backburner now though :( ) at which I plan to more eloquently publish some of these ideas. It's not like every person MUST WORSHIP NILE! haha, no, I actually respect people like Extreme Deformity who gave them a chance and simply didn't like it. Im actually acutely interested in those small minutae of why certain people just dont like certain bands. Obviously there are superficial reasons half the time, but what makes a people like a melody is of great interest to me. Another lifetime and id have taken that music major, and found out ;)

ill be at the nile show this friday anyhow, with girlfriend... she's small so ill be keeping to the back, hehe

Cool, very cool.

What I basically meant though, lol, was that you write very WELL, a trait that isn't exactly commonplace around these parts. I'm a Journalism/Politics double-degree graduate myself, and I'm not all that used to people who take the time to post with decent grammar, spelling, etc.

Not that there's anything wrong with those who don't, mind you, especially considering UM's global reach and all. Just wanted to give a thumbs up on your approach & style is all.

Have fun at the Nile show; I've a good friend in Houston who saw the tour opener and confirmed that they slayed. I'll be touching down in SF next Tuesday for 1 week on business, just in time to catch Opeth next Friday night! Nile's not until 2/11 for me (back in NYC)...but I can be patient. Cheers man!

Originally posted by Extreme Deformity
What the shit are you seeing them next week for then? 3 out of 5 bands on that tour are all in the same vein of extreme aggression. SYL and Dark Tranquility are different, but Nile plays after them... you can just leave.

Well you got part of it right...I am going to the show to see Strapping Young Lad and Dark Tranquillity. Whether or not I leave depends on my ride ya know? I am probably not driving to the show. If I was taking myself then I would obviously leave right away.

Originally posted by kuraikat
Actually, the "flavor of the month" is to hate Nile. Extreme metal fans (ie. those with a mind to even hear the music) call them out on everything from gimmicky to merely commonplace, while metal fans unaccustomed to this kind of progressive music say its just noise.

More frustrating, but easier to understand are the people who claim Nile has no melody, and is just a blur of noise. Like others have said, smashing the antiu and like songs seem at first like atonal washes of blastbeats, but when you take the time and intellectual courage to listen to whats being played underneath, you find deftly structured melodies. I do like traditional metal, but Nile stands above them-- listen closely to Serpent Headed Mask or Barra Edinazzu. Melody is more than arch enemy harmonies or nightwish vocals. I wish I knew more theory to say more about that, but suffice it to say you dont need to be a music major to understand nile's melodies-- just an active listener. Headbang on, otherwise.

Now, this is coming from someone who used to listen to some of the most melodically simple music around, and even I was (eventually) able to open my mind to the band. Of course, actively listening to another's argument seems to be a lacking skill in this generation.

So yes-- Nile is america's current best death metal band. I love morbid angel, but they need to put out an album like Formulas again to "regain" the throne-- and even still, their more groove oriented style doesn't neccesarily displace or even compete with Nile, imo. They co-exist as kings of metal, hehehe.

See, I really think that it's the opposite here..."the flavor of the month" happens to BE Nile...hence why they have the popularity that they do. I honestly believe that I am in the general minority in disliking them, not BECAUSE they are the "flavor of the month" or anything of the sort. I did state in my original post that I just really don't care for this particular form of music. To me, this extreme aggressive metal IS noise. Maybe they do have some "underlying technical melody", but it didn't strike me off the bat enough to give it that kind of attention. It didn't make me curious enough to give it a chance and buy a CD to listen to them outside the live setting. My distaste for them is more of a personal preference than anything else. I can have respect for bands that I don't necessarily like...more so than a lot of my fellow "metal friends" even. Nile just didn't do it for me in that way...if I offend then hey, sorry. It is just my opinion though.

People are so quick to judge the intelligence and background of others on this board it seems. I am not naming anyone in particular here. This is just a generalization I have found. I have been a musician all my life and did actually major in music. I forget what superb detail people expect on here, heh. It seems you have to be that way or you get dismissed as a shallow-minded idiot that doesn't have a clue.

I expected the backlash, but I would like to say that I appreciated the way most of the posts were written, without personal jabs and such. (a common occurence on here). Carry on:) .

Well, I gave Nile a good chance also. DL some songs in the past from all their records and recently even bought "In Their Darkened Shrines", but could not get into them. They come across as rather souless and lacking personlaity to me. The whole Egyptian thing wears thin real quick, especially since the guys are from North Carolina?!?!? Not sure what their connection is to that part of the world or culture besides things they read in history books. I have a hard time believing bands of this nature.

Lyrical content is important to me in addition to the music. I think bands from all genres that succeed are the ones that speak from "within"

I listen to the EAGLES when I need some soulful lyrics and DEATH, for example when I need some angry pissed off ones. They sing about what they "feel" .. this is very important in all music.

Also I feel Nile take themselves a litle too seriously considering the type of music they play and the lyrical content of their songs.
At least Cannibal Corpse or early Carcass always did their thing in a more "tounge-in-cheek" way.

Like I said, I have been listening to extreme bands for 15 years. Was into Morbid Angel since their THY KINGDOM COME demo days and still am into most types of bands at 32, but Nile I believe is trapped in a corner with their "themes".

This is just my opinion, not a bashing on anyone elses.