Nile is the best American death metal band

pest666 said:
Unlike you who comes up with an opinion and generalizes it to everything, I actually have been talking to people from across the country, and NO ONE has said Nile were worth seeing. That's Oregon, California, Texas, Illinois, etc. Apparently you must have caught the one night on the tour where they actually passed go.....

The only close minded person here is you and your little friend, who believe all the hype and don't actually listen to the music. It has nothing to do with them appearing in magazines, although I'm amazed at who gets pushed by the magazines. Believe what you're spoonfed.....

Please, continue to amaze us with your worldly insights, you "professional troublemaker" you. :rolleyes:<----smiley inserted to show exasperation at having to debate with teenagers.

Cryonaut X said:
Basically everything Nile does outside of the orchestrated bits has already been worked over by Immolation, Incantantion and the NYDM scene in general. For that matter, the best songs off two of their three full length albums include major sections lifted directly from other artists (namely Gustav Holst and Candlemass).

well, I have heard every Immolation and Incantation album. While I like both bands marginally, I just don't find many similarities, except between nile's more straightforward songs like black seeds of vengeance. As far as I know, neither incantation nor immolation has ever done a song like: Serpent Headed Mask, Multitude of Foes, Masturbating the War God, Barra Edinazzu, or Smashing the Antiu. "Serpent Headed Mask" in particular demonstrates "shifting-sand," progressive guitar riffing that hasnt been explored by the (now) straightforward style of NYDM.

If the question is of innovation: then granted, Nile was writing shit (festivals of atonement) while these artists were furthering the genre. But nile has since matured and contributed to DM with progressive songs like I mentioned in the previous paragraph. Songs that would make a band like Atheist, also a fave of mine, proud.

I guess we just have different tastes in what makes DM good, because I find Ramses and Unas, the "rip-off" songs, to be not particularly good. Also, their sound bits and samples (probably the point they get most harangued for) I also find inconsequential and cd-skip worthy.

i was just listening to Onward...
I can see the similarities in many riffs. But, and I'm sure you're expecting this rebuff, by those standards (tremolo riffs and chromaticism) practically *every* band has ripped off incantation/earlier bands. And of course the idea of chromaticism and dissonance is in no way unique to metal either.

if you think nile is overrated as innovators, then fine. I find plenty of new contributions in the fine details of the melodies, but thats something I cant readily explain why I like. The "hyperblast" feature, if not completely unique in its derivative nature of normal blast and metal rythms, is at least a refreshing "change of pace" [hohoho]. There are a glut of these types of bands today playing so-called "technical" hyperblast metal-- I just dont think nile is one them.

Quiet all you bee-aches!!!! I say Nile rules! Case closed!;)

*This was sarcastic and not meant to stir up flames or anything like that, though I do say Nile rules*

Nile is, in fact, the best current US death metal band. Hate Eternal are good, but they can be kind of boring to me at times.

I think Nile's albums have been some of the strongest death metal releases in the past 10 years.

I like Nile...I love the riffing, the solos, and the Egyption themes (although some think it's a gimmick..)
ITDS is a nice progression and sans some of the samples, I think the Cd is pretty damn good...Kinda sucks that no one stays for Nile when they are headlining (Arch Enemy blew them off the stage, so did SYL and Napalm Death), however I've spoken to Dallas Toler Wade and he's a nice humble, down to earth guy. After a year of repeated listens BSOV grew on me as now I appreciate it as a true metal classic..
Love the liner notes on Nile's CD's too.More Egyption mythology that the Discovery channel..
Insane drumming from both drummers in Nile, great solos and riffing..gRRRR..LOL....-l-

NILE FUCKING SUCKS!!!!!!

ha ha....there are way more better death metal bands:

Death
Morbid Angel
Cannibal Corpse
Decapitated
Angel Corpse
Dying Fetus
Napalm Death

eh whatever...anything is better than nile...seriously...they are way too overrated...

digitaldemon62 said:
NILE FUCKING SUCKS!!!!!!

Death
Morbid Angel
Cannibal Corpse
Decapitated
Angel Corpse
Dying Fetus
Napalm Death

eh whatever...anything is better than nile...seriously...they are way too overrated...
Death don't exist anymore, (but are one of my favorite bands RIP Chuck Shuldiner), Morbid Angel are missing Erik Rutan and Jared Anderson, Cannible Corpse are overrrated, Decapitated are good (for being very young) but are genric,Angel Corpse WERE good, Dying Fetus's first lineup was better, Napalm Death rule..
Nile doen't suck it's just you..Even Morbid Angel are good freinds with and are fans of Nile..-l-
I find Cryptopsy to be bette than Nile..That's just my personal opinion as Cryptopsy are by far my favorite death metal band...-l-

digitaldemon62 said:
NILE FUCKING SUCKS!!!!!!

Death
Morbid Angel
Cannibal Corpse
Decapitated
Angel Corpse
Dying Fetus
Napalm Death

Death - isn't around anymore, and I don't even consider their last few albums to be death metal, though I like Death a lot.

Morbid Angel - I would have to disagree that they are better than Nile

Cannibal Corpse - ditto

Decapitated - they aren't American, as we're talking about the best American death metal band

Angel Corpse - Never heard them

Dying Fetus - good, but I like Nile better

Napalm Death - they aren't really an American band and I think Nile is better

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Nile are great musicians, and I like how many of their riffs are written in that "middle eastern" sounding scale. I guess I would say that they are my favorite band all around.

FailingAcension said:
Haha....personally I was ready to literally blow Naplam Death off the stage they were sucking so bad/forum/images/smilies/supergrin.gif
Don't know where you saw Nile on the "Art of Noise" tour..BOTH times that I saw Nile in support of ITDS the support bands blew them off stage and people left after Arch Enemy, and even though the Chance (Poughkeepsie, New York) was sold out for the Art of Noise tour date, EVERYBODY was there for Naplam Death (who slayed by the way) as people promtly filed out after Napalm's set..You're lying if you say that 70% of the crowd stayed for Nile..Or you're on drugs..

FailingAcension said:
At they show I was at people were getting so tired of Napalm Death they would yell "Nile!" in between their songs! lol /forum/images/smilies/lol.gif
If ya don't like Napalm Death just say so..Napalm death are the god fathers of grind and were releasing Cd's when you were in diapers and I was just a teen..Again you are a liar..Considering Napalm Death's fall 2001 USA tour with Dimmu Borgir was cancelled due to the terrorist attacks (September 11th) many people were hyped to see Napalm Death..In reality check the reviews for the tour, check MetalJudgments (www.MetalJudgment.com.) review of the "Art of Noise" tour (as a show in LA was also reviewed)..Metal Judgment said that people were yelling for Napalm as NP have a huge following in the USA that has spanned over two decades..I like Nile, but Napalm Death have a bigger following..I even spoke to the very nice and humble Dallas Toler Wade and HE even said that SYL and Napalm Death were bringing in "alot of people" as Dallas was surpised that The Chance (Poughkeepsie,NY) was packed to the balcony..The Chance was only half packed when Nile supported Morbid Angel and only thirty people showed when Nile headlined the same venue with local bands two years earlier..Now you tell me who brought in the fans for the Art of Noise tour?

I love Nile. It's relaxing for me. This sounds weird, but the rythyms, especially the drum beats are so constant it hits that "mellow center" in my brain... that whole hypnotic quality thing. Morbid Angel's "Formulas Fatal To the Flesh" has the same effect on me. My top bands to relax to are: BB King, Miles Davis and Nile :)

deathbearer said:
If ya don't like Napalm Death just say so..Napalm death are the god fathers of grind and were releasing Cd's when you were in diapers and I was just a teen..Again you are a liar..Metal Judgment said that people were yelling for Napalm as NP have a huge following in the USA that has spanned over two decades

The thing about people screaming Nile in between Napalm Death's songs is very true. I was one of those people. Despite your constant referral to Napalm Death's "huge fanbase", that doesnt mean shit when you dont have the music to back it up. When compared to Nile technically, Napalm Death are playing nu-metal. Hell, when compared all around, Napalm Death sucks. This is just in my opinion (which we all know is correct), so dont come back with the all-time greatest phrase on this site when slammed: "that is just in your opinion!!". Yes, if you havent guessed, Nile is my favorite band and is much better that Napalm whatever.

Charubic Murder said:
The thing about people screaming Nile in between Napalm Death's songs is very true. I was one of those people. Despite your constant referral to Napalm Death's "huge fanbase", that doesnt mean shit when you dont have the music to back it up. When compared to Nile technically, Napalm Death are playing nu-metal. Hell, when compared all around, Napalm Death sucks. This is just in my opinion (which we all know is correct), so dont come back with the all-time greatest phrase on this site when slammed: "that is just in your opinion!!". Yes, if you havent guessed, Nile is my favorite band and is much better that Napalm whatever.
I don't know what planet you're on, (or what drugs you're on) but NAPALM DEATH have NEVER sold out to the nu metal trend..Like I said Napalm Death are a GRINDCORE band influenced by both death metal and hardcore..Napalm predates both the nu metal trend and Nile..
I do like Nile alot, but at the shows I went to, the opening bands pulled in the vast majority of the people (Arch Enemy last summer, Napalm Death and SYL last winter) a t the shows..There were reports of this allover the USA..Don't know or care about Texas..
Maybe you don't like Napalm Death or grindcore but it is simply ignorant to assume that if you don't like or identify with a band it must be nu metal..
You simply don't know metal history or what you're talking about..Napalm Death were around in the ealry 80's and were metal pioneers (around the very start of death metal)..Lee Dorian of Cathedral was a member of Napalm, and it's not very often that you get a chance to see NP in the states (they are British)..
You idiots from Texas would be hard pressed to debate metal when either you are very young and just jumped on the metal (Nile) bandwagon, or you don't realize that Nile picked ND to be on that tour and things went very well, as dates were practically sold out..
Dates were NOT sold out for Nile's previous tours and wether or not you like ND is NOT the question as much as the poplularity of ND (grindcore pioneers) in the states and how many people the opening bands of the bill pulled in (including SYL, Dark Tranaquility, The Bezerker (I hate the Bezerker)..
As much as I like Nile, and I stayed for the whole show, Napalm Death stole the show throughout the tour (Arch Enemy did the same last summer)..
These European bands have appeal in the USA and people come to see them on US tours as much as Nile..Get real and get wise..-l-

deathbearer said:
I don't know what planet you're on, (or what drugs you're on) but NAPALM DEATH have NEVER sold out to the nu metal trend..Like I said Napalm Death are a GRINDCORE band influenced by both death metal and hardcore..Napalm predates both the nu metal trend and Nile..
I do like Nile alot, but at the shows I went to, the opening bands pulled in the vast majority of the people (Arch Enemy last summer, Napalm Death and SYL last winter) a t the shows..There were reports of this allover the USA..Don't know or care about Texas..
Maybe you don't like Napalm Death or grindcore but it is simply ignorant to assume that if you don't like or identify with a band it must be nu metal..
You simply don't know metal history or what you're talking about..Napalm Death were around in the ealry 80's and were metal pioneers (around the very start of death metal)..Lee Dorian of Cathedral was a member of Napalm, and it's not very often that you get a chance to see NP in the states (they are British)..
You idiots from Texas would be hard pressed to debate metal when either you are very young and just jumped on the metal (Nile) bandwagon, or you don't realize that Nile picked ND to be on that tour and things went very well, as dates were practically sold out..
Dates were NOT sold out for Nile's previous tours and wether or not you like ND is NOT the question as much as the poplularity of ND (grindcore pioneers) in the states and how many people the opening bands of the bill pulled in (including SYL, Dark Tranaquility, The Bezerker (I hate the Bezerker)..
As much as I like Nile, and I stayed for the whole show, Napalm Death stole the show throughout the tour (Arch Enemy did the same last summer)..
These European bands have appeal in the USA and people come to see them on US tours as much as Nile..Get real and get wise..-l-

Okay, obviously you've never had an english class in your life. Lets examine what i said: "When compared to Nile technically, Napalm Death are playing nu metal". Now, if my thoughts serve me correctly (as they always do), that was comparison of technicality. I would have had to say "ND is nu metal" for your incoherent ramble to be true. Moving on, you again stated that ND is more popular. Now, again using the large organ in my head, I can distinguish that this is almost the same as saying that they have a bigger fanbase. Examining yet again what i said: "Despite your constant referral to Napalm Death's "huge fanbase", that doesnt mean shit when you dont have the music to back it up." So, in reality, you need to take classes on how to read a group of words that involve something (subject) performing or doing something (verb).