Nile (less low growls as they progress?)

wyldeguitarist

New Metal Member
Sep 2, 2007
I've noticed that Nile doesn't do as much low growling in their newer music as in their earlier stuff. I've only listened to some of Those Who The Gods may detest, am I just hearing a few songs with less of the lows, or did they start steering away from super-low growls after Annihilation?

It's because they're slowly selling out going mainstream. Until they record a cd like Saurian Meditation, which will break Nile into the maintream and hollywood. A small selected few cds will be signed by actors/actresses from The Mummy Returns and will sell on Ebay. Pyramid's with mummies and all kinds of mummy merch like clothing and jewerly will be distributed. People will be walking around like Egyptians. Pharaohs will rule all, brains sucked out of our noses with a straw and mummified.

Walk like an egyptian all day

I don't think Nile is going mainstream, because they're about as mainstream as death metal can be, it seems like they're becoming less mainstream. The normal stereotypical death metal vocals is the cookie monster growls, but he is doing a lot more roars or shouts I guess than before, so it seems like they're becoming less mainstream. Those whom the Gods detest was an excellent album even without low death growls.

yeah you're right. most people on this forum dislike Nile.
It's funny

Something about the style of riffs that makes me like them more than any dm band. Maybe it's just the writing style as a whole.

This was actually one of the reasons Ithyphalic was a little disapointing for me, Dallas did most of the vocals.

Ithyphalic is a weak album, and after Annihilation there was a huge expectation. TWTGD is far superior, and Kafir is a great song, one of the best moments during their gig.

Ithyphalic is NOT a weak album. Yes, its weaker then AOTW, but thats also 99% of all metal albums ever released.

As a whole I didn't like Ithyphallic as much as their other albums, but there were a few really cool tracks on it, or at least tracks that had amazing parts.

I love Nile and in general I have liked their progression alot. I remember when I first heard about the band and someone said or wrote that they hd 3 vocalists. I was interested and gave it a listen. And while I loved the music the vocals were so much alike that it didnt really matter.

when Dallas really started coming into his own as the fronman on AftW I just loved it. Now he's doing most vocals but whenever Karl does his deep full-of-air-growls it works great as a counter. But I definately want Dallas to keep doing his stuff. Its harsh, brutal and you can hear just about every lyric :)

As a whole I didn't like Ithyphallic as much as their other albums, but there were a few really cool tracks on it, or at least tracks that had amazing parts.

For me Ithyphallic wast bad but its just not memorable. I also felt it was just more of the same to soon after AotW. They needed more progression at the time and Ithyphallic wasnt it.

Actually I thought it was way different than AotW, different energy. Technically speaking it was mixed/produced pretty well. AotW and the albums before are a bit muddle at times. TWTGD probably has their best "sound" yet though. And the solo's are SO much better than before

I think it's amusing how the metal scene changes over time and how certain ideas expressed will generate such a following and just snowball from there.

These days, I hear more negative things said about Nile than positive. I believe this anti-Nile ship set sail with Annihilation of the Wicked, ironically, their most well-received album. But I guess that's the typical backlash effect you suffer when many positive things are said about your band.

I remember when In Their Darkened Shrines came out. The perception was that Nile was this excellent death metal band who kept getting better and better with each album. I hardly ever heard anyone talk shit about them then.

Anyways, I've always thought they were a pretty good band. I don't understand the hatred they get especially when you take into consideration how the rest of death metal scene is doing.