"No Girls Allowed?"

Air Raid Siren said:
I think as an artist you have to make a conscious decision to open a gourmet restaurant and serve only the best! Though you may not make as much money as one could by catering to the masses, in the end, the quality overrides the quantity and you can do very well if you're interest lies in providing only the best. Like attracts like. Because at the end of the day there are no guarantees in this world. Plenty of bands and musician who are more than willing to compromise their integrity, do so & are never seen or heard of anyway. Then, what's left? Nothing but regret.

Amen. If you do what you do because you love it and not worry about selling a cajillion records, it'll reap far more rewards personally than it will monetarilly. Success in this world is weighed far too heavily on income than it is on personal satisfaction. However, bills must be paid, so some sacrifices must be made on occasion. It happens to all of us, no matter what we are doing in our lives, but it shouldn't be the focus.

nlukes said:
Here is a website that pertains perfectly to the subject line of the misconception of the lack of female guitarists.

http://www.guitarwoman.com/

yeah, i wonder if david segal's spin would be different after visiting this website, or even this thread.

when i first started playing over 15 years ago, it wasn't cuz i saw a guitarist (male or female) that inspired me. i just wanted to play, no one was going to stop me, and that's how i still feel.
the quote from nancy wilson about playing lead feels more like ego pose is surprising to me because for me that's not what it's about and never will. her quote is probably taken out of context cuz i learned her intro to crazy on you when i first heard her shred this so wtf! to me it's about self expression and the guitar is a great vehicle for this - it can be loud, soft, complex, simple, the list goes on.
we all know about the media and it's demands - we all support and feed into and from this monster at some level - and yeah discrimination sucks. i've lost out on several gigs because of this - it's disheartening when you know your a better player but don't fit the mold. yeah, but don't hate the player, hate the game!
bottom line for me - i fell in love with my guitar, not the idea of it. it's weird, but it completes me. my mom asked me the other day when i'm gonna stop and pursue something more successful. but you know, at the end of the day the goods aren't the stuff around you that you can sell on ebay.

Amen to that, Sara.

I play the guitar because I love the sound. That's what drew me to rock and metal from the start. Its a gratifying, uplifting, aggravating, and frustrating experience all at the same time. There are days when you can't miss a note, and days when you have difficulty staying in tune and in key and on time. I was playing this Satruday past and I happened to get both Adrian's and Dave's solos right while playing Prodigal Son. Not note for note, because I know I don;t have the musical knowledge or wherewithal to do that, but it sounded like *me* playing the solo. I'm not heavy into playing solos either, but when I do, its always going to sound a little different. I come at it from a different approach, though I try to keep the context of it.

I said in my yahoo360 page that my ambitions of playing in a band and playing out died a long time ago, simply because I couldn;t find the right people to play with, but I play the instrument because I love it. Hell, I bought two guitars in the past year after owning three for over 15 years. Hell, I'm trying to desperately avoid starting the downward spiral that is buying effects. But I do it for the love. I don;t think I am very good at all, even though I have been told otherwise (and I still haven;t forgotten, Jenna, I'm going to have to get a Guitar Port to be able to play through my puter and have it sound right; mic'ing my amp is just not working). I'm still learning to say through what I play "This is me."

I feel for you, Sara. It should be all about the music, no more, no less. That's why I appreciate you and the Maidens so much; you're earning that respect person by person, making them listen to the music that you play, and basically saying through that music, "This is who we are, this is what we do, we're good at it, and by the end of the show, you're going to agree with us" without being belligerent about it.

As to Nancy Wilson and what she said, it does take a certain kind of humility to not want to solo. As has been said in previous threads, too many guitarists want to masturbate instead of doing what fits the song. There are precious few players that can put themselves out there and keep within the context of the song. But considering that Nancy is also much older now than she was when she was shredding (and yes, you can pay rhythm and shred), her thoughts on that most likely have changed. When I see early Heart videos, she is out there and in your face, while in later ones she is much more subdued. Getting older kinda does that to you.

I remember there was a band that I hung out with in the early 90s called Shotgun Serenade. I took lessons from one of their guitarists, I used to hang out at their practices all the time, I went to their shows, and I pimped them whenever I could. Looking back on it, it was a band that played a style of music that just outright died after the emergence of grunge and alternative. They were about three to five years too late, which is why they never really went very far.

Anyway, the guitarist who was teaching me had really good ability, but sometimes he tended to want to show that off too much. There was a song where he had a solo that fit the song perfectly. It was simple, right in the pocket, and expressed what the lyrics of the song were saying. But, in a fit of ego, because one day I (who could barely play a pentatonic scale at the time), played that solo note for note, he changed the solo to something faster and more technical. The song lost its impact, to my ears.

MiniMurray said:
yeah, i wonder if david segal's spin would be different after visiting this website, or even this thread.

when i first started playing over 15 years ago, it wasn't cuz i saw a guitarist (male or female) that inspired me. i just wanted to play, no one was going to stop me, and that's how i still feel.

bottom line for me - i fell in love with my guitar, not the idea of it. it's weird, but it completes me. my mom asked me the other day when i'm gonna stop and pursue something more successful. but you know, at the end of the day the goods aren't the stuff around you that you can sell on ebay.

Great analogy about the materials goods on Ebay... You are out there touring with your friends in the Maidens and the guitar is feeding you and paying the rent. Sounds like success to me.

Lord of Delusions said:
I think everyone's mom says that at one point or another! :lol:
Truer words were never spoken! I've been doing this almost half my life and up until this last visit, my mom has thought I'd permanently lost my my mind. Being with me in a busy stretch and really seeing what I did, she actually finally started to understand a little better this passion I feel for what I do.

Sometimes ya just have to wear down the opposition....eventually they'll come around - they have no choice!! :lol:
Besides, deep down, all good parents know they did right if their kids know who they are and know what they want.