No more tabs :(

I saw that article and posted it on a similar board I frequent. An interesting point made in the article, was the webmaster of a tab site said something to the effect of the majority of the tabs on tab websites are by artists who don't even have tab books out.

unknown said:
I saw that article and posted it on a similar board I frequent. An interesting point made in the article, was the webmaster of a tab site said something to the effect of the majority of the tabs on tab websites are by artists who don't even have tab books out.
it also mentioned that most of the tabs aren't totally accurate. which i find to most often be true.
i still don't see what the problem is...

Mxtabs.net, gone

Taborama.com - Up
Metaltabs.com - Up
Ultimate-guitar.com - Up
Guitartabs.cc - Up
Olga.net - Up
Guitaretab.com - Up
Tabcrawler.com - Up

Guitartabs.net has a bunch of links, this isnt BIG yet, and even when it is, they wont shut everyone down
start saving copies of tabs to your hard drive.

I don't think any musician is going to say anything about this (favoring shutting down tab websites), because I think pretty much every guitarist and bassist (and some drummers) have used tabs from websites. This is the fucking MPA...bastards.

"Unauthorised use of lyrics and tablature deprives the songwriter of the ability to make a living, and is no different than stealing."

.... riiiiiiiiiiight.

Y'know, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Chubby Checker, Muddy Waters and Buddy Holly are all losing a lot of money! We should all buy their official music books, the ones they get paid for.

Fucking MPA.... (M)ighty (P)enis in (A)sshole

DarkNoise said:
"Unauthorised use of lyrics and tablature deprives the songwriter of the ability to make a living, and is no different than stealing."

.... riiiiiiiiiiight.

Y'know, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Chubby Checker, Muddy Waters and Buddy Holly are all losing a lot of money! We should all buy their official music books, the ones they get paid for.

Fucking MPA.... (M)ighty (P)enis in (A)sshole

90% of the artists dont even get paid unless they CONTRIBUTE to the tab book. All the money goes to the artists publishing companies or the publishing company who puts out the book.

Only if the artist actually tabs it themself do they get a cut.

Pretty Interesting.

I fail to see how artistic interpretation of someones music is illegal? I mean if someone wants to use a song in a movie or whatnot they can have some "interpret it" and get it ALOT cheaper than paying the primary artist. Its much the same with TABS, cause most of them are tabbed by average folks, so essentially they are also interpretations of the songs and therefore not actually copyrighted?

Its a money grabbing scheme.

guitarguru777 said:
90% of the artists dont even get paid unless they CONTRIBUTE to the tab book. All the money goes to the artists publishing companies or the publishing company who puts out the book.

Only if the artist actually tabs it themself do they get a cut.

Pretty Interesting.

As stated by a former lawyer I know:

It means the ARTIST'S COMPANY get's paid (and so too, then, does the artist).

What is more, it is completely incorrect to say that only if they actually write it out themselves do they get paid. Indeed, almost NO modern musicians write out their own sheet music (or tab) by themselves. It is precisely one of the things that an artist contracts with a publisher to do FOR them.

The publishing company writes the actual sheet music, gets the book deal and collects the money for the artist.

Exactly, and providing they arent sold or whatever i cant see how they violate any sort of copyright. Sadly, i guess it was inevitable they would eventually realise this was an avenue of profit making they hadn't explored :(