Noise gates! Which goes where?

CraigJohnsJr

MASSiVE- Guitarist
Feb 18, 2014
NY
www.facebook.com
I have an ISP decimator and a DBX 166xs. Right now the ISP is in the input chain, and the DBX is last in the effects loop. (I use one side, right into the other side, as I heard this is best.) I'm going for that my-amp-sounds-like-its-off-unless-im-playing type of deal.

I heard the ISP is best in the input chain, but the DBX 166xs has compressor options which might be nice for the guitar, and I don't know if those work in the FX loop.

Suggestions?

He said he has one.

With two noise gates your setup sounds about right. I don't think any noise gate will make it sound like the amp is off though, you'll always have the light shhhhhh in every amp I've used at full volume.

yeah that's wgy I said if it doesn't work get a g-string. it has a second circuit for the fx loop. so it cuts the sound going in and out for the perfect "off" feeling. the plus on it is you can leave it on even if you change the amp to the clean channel and it won't cut off too much. never heard aof a noisegate with a single circuit thats good in the effect loop. in most cases you want that kind of gate just after the guitar. i wouldn't use two different noisegate in your rig. because the tonal behaviour would be unprediczable. thats why i said get g-string if it doesn't work although a simple isp decimator should also be ok.