noob amp question

chdrummer

Oct 24, 2007
i have a 6505+ that i cant get to stop squealing when i add my new maxon od808 in the chain. it only does it with guitars with active pickups. i have an isp decimator noise suppressor in front of it.

any suggestions?

chdrummer said:
i have a 6505+ that i cant get to stop squealing when i add my new maxon od808 in the chain. it only does it with guitars with active pickups. i have an isp decimator noise suppressor in front of it.

any suggestions?

I think you should have the ISP decimator AFTER your Maxon pedal to get rid of noise ;-)

What type of ISP is it? If its the G-string, you want to run it through the FX loop because its not doing anything if it isn't plugged into the FX. Like everyone else said, it needs to be after your OD pedal. You need to turn up the threshold so that feedback is eliminated. If you are still having feedback on maximum settings and you are not playing that loud, I thing you might want to turn down your gain on the amp becuase seriously, turning up the gain all the way to 11 is for beginners.

What type of ISP is it? If its the G-string, you want to run it through the FX loop because its not doing anything if it isn't plugged into the FX. Like everyone else said, it needs to be after your OD pedal. You need to turn up the threshold so that feedback is eliminated. If you are still having feedback on maximum settings and you are not playing that loud, I thing you might want to turn down your gain on the amp becuase seriously, turning up the gain all the way to 11 is for beginners.

its not the g string, its just the pedal. the gain is only half way up so i think im ok there! guess i just need to switch the pedals around!

... my new maxon od808 ... only does it with guitars with active pickups ...

If the problem were acoustic feedback from the amp to the guitar it should do it whether the pups are active or passive, as the feedback "signal" originates in string movement.

Squealing only with active pups could be a result of interference causing oscillations in the pup's internal preamp.

Interfernce pickup could be caused by a bad joint in the Maxon. Don't assume it's perfect even if it's brand new.

See if you can borrow another Tube Screamer off someone else, and check if squealing happens with a known good pedal.