noisegate question: BOSS NS-2 or ISP NOISE DECIMATOR ?

gabriel g.

Sep 7, 2006
Hamburg
www.myspace.com
Need a noisegate realy bad.
The boss is around 100€
the ISP NOISE DECIMATOR around 150€

is the ISP THAT MUCH BETTER?

dont have the money for the rack unit so dont start on that ;)

The ISP Decimator ProRack G SLAYS boss NS-2. I have never tried the ISP pedal though, so can't really say. Because of your last line, I think you seriously should save 150e (used) or 250e (new) more and buy the rack thingy :)

My 5150 II has pretty much hum coming from the preamp and the ProRack G cleans that incredibly well, so I don't have any bad things to tell about the real deal.

The Boss NS-2 sucks out quite a bit of tone while the ISP Decimator is almost unnoticeable in tone loss if there even is any at all. The ISP Decimator G-String is similar to the rack version and appears to have a faster gate and can also be inserted after the guitar and into the effects loop at the same time.

I don't have either of the ISP pedals, but I bought a used Decimator Pro Rack G a couple weeks ago. I started a thread on around here some were.

Anyway I the Pro rack rules. I would assume the G string would also be really good. Before the Decimator I used a MXR smart gate and the Decimator is much better.

But I could live with the Smart Gate. It stopped the guitar from feeding back when I was not playing. The Pro Rack actually stops the hiss from the preamp on my 5150. It was so good it was shocking.

Depends on your budget I payed around $60 bucks for a used MXR Smart Gate. I payed around $260 for the Pro Rack.

I have the ns2 in my current rig, it doesn't work bad but tried the decimator recently and the boss unit looked like a cheap unit compared to it.

The rack proG is on my wish list now, since my 5150 is REALLY noisy, and I need 2 gates (one in front, one in the effects loop) to get the sound I'm after.
The boss works well if you can't afford the isp though, but the decimator is worth the extra money. ;)

I'm interested in this aswell. Sorry for hijacking your thread but I have a question for the Pro Rack G users:
On the official page (http://www.isptechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=65), if you click through the images to the third one you will see an example setup. But isn't this the Pro Rack G Stereo Mod version of the unit? Or is it the normal unit?

I know the normal Pro Rack G has 2 channels but isn't for "true" stereo setups, but one chain is for the instrument and one for the FX loop. The picture however looks like a true stereo setup to me, because you have two In/outs for the Loop and then a third in/out for the guitar. Help, anyone?

ProRackG.jpg

I need a noise-gate for my live setup and although not as bad as the original 5150, the 5150 III is still a noisy motherfucker and I get annoying feedback during the band practices. Also I need to change between clean and hi-gain several times per song and the NS2 would most probably cut the clean signal. "Just turn the NS2 off for clean parts" yeah yeah, but I am busy enough with changing channels, switching pickup positions and hitting my MXR Carbon Copy in 0,1 ms.

Guys, can anyone post an example of the tone loss the NS-2 brings? I use one and have used it for years. I try and try to listen for tone loss, and I just do not hear it. Mic'd or live at practice.....the distortion channel sounds the same to me (or if there is tone loss, its basically so little that I can't tell). Cleans is a different story. I hear it cut off notes of my cleans but we're talking high gain here, not cleans.

@Jipchen: don't know which one it is but it is not the regular ProRackG because it doesn't have an "input" and "output" plugs... (unless their latest versions do...) so I guess it's the stereo mod.
Ah thanks Brett. So the ProRack G normally has just the CH1 and CH2 In- and Outputs, that would make sense to me. Damn it this thing is expensive and I really don't want to need it because I will not buy a rack and just one more pedal would be much less hassle than a non-racked rack unit placed somewhere on top of the amp. But I need to be able to play cleans without stepping on another pedal everytime. Hmmm :zombie:

Guys, can anyone post an example of the tone loss the NS-2 brings? I use one and have used it for years. I try and try to listen for tone loss, and I just do not hear it. Mic'd or live at practice.....the distortion channel sounds the same to me (or if there is tone loss, its basically so little that I can't tell). Cleans is a different story. I hear it cut off notes of my cleans but we're talking high gain here, not cleans.

You can hear the tone loss with the ns-2 at the end of the video when he switches between them.

Last edited by a moderator:
But look where his threshold knob is....about 2:00 or so. I bet if it was set to MAX it wouldn't be noticeable. I dont know, I've never noticed the difference, but I run my pedal in front of my amp as I'm not worried about the amps white noise because who's really going to hear that while playing a gig?

the release on the ns2 is set TOO fast in that video, THAT's when it starts to kill tone

You mean Decay? Same thing, though. I set mine up that way and it's fine. threshold to about MAX, Decay on MIN......

yeah ... sorry decay, pedals at my practice space! max settings on ns2=tone suckage. back it off ever so slightly and it sounds loads better