noisegates.... ISP? NS-2? Rocktron?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Looking at upgrading my noisegate on guitar rig.

Currently own the NS-2 and have ran it just fine for years in front of the amp.

Tried it in the loop years ago and it never seemed to quiet the guitar during quick pauses and mute-stops and what have you.

Decided to look up Decimator on ebay and the price of a pedal version alone is around $100-150, depending on the I, II, or G-String models.

I was hoping for a rackmount version because I just hate having pedals cluttering my stage space. Looks like I'll be dropping at least $400 on the rack version.

Can anyone make up my mind for me? :lol:

I really don't ever notice the NS-2 killing my tone unless the battery is dying. I guess I can live with it for now, but I really just want most of my shit mounted in a rack and not have to worry about set-up time at gigs.

Give this a try, I haven't tried it myself, but tons of people swear by it

ns2.png

Yeah, I've heard of this method before. I just don't see the point as my amps natural "hiss" isn't bad at all. Maybe I'll give it a shot next practice.

Why does it need to be 'X' pattern though? What's wrong with going guitar -> NS "In" -> NS "Out" -> amp, and send/return into loop?

Just seems like even more setup time though, unless the thing is tucked away somewhere and always hooked up.

Yeah, I've heard of this method before. I just don't see the point as my amps natural "hiss" isn't bad at all. Maybe I'll give it a shot next practice.

Why does it need to be 'X' pattern though? What's wrong with going guitar -> NS "In" -> NS "Out" -> amp, and send/return into loop?

Just seems like even more setup time though, unless the thing is tucked away somewhere and always hooked up.

I believe it's like running 2 noise suppressors as opposed to 1. That way it hits on the way into the amp and in the loop as well

it works great in that set up, i have the isp decimator pro rack G and its the best gate ive ever used. i also have the g-string which is very similar but not as adjustable. whats cool about running them before the amp and in the loop, is that its so precise about cutting the noise right when u stop playing and not until then. it uses the first signal as a template basically and tells the second gate not to close until theres nothing in the first gates path and if there is any other noise getting into the second gate that wasnt in the first one it shouldnt be there and it gets cut out

Tbh I think the NS2 works fine, Colin Richardson used one on the Rise To Remain record, good enough for him so it's good enough for me.

I do find that the ISP opens a bit faster though.

I own the ns-2 and it works ok, but for live at high volumes with high gain it shows its short comings. I have never used a rackmount dedicated unit though. But I tracked a guy who used an ISP pedal. IMO it seemed on par with the boss.

I have the isp and mxr smart gate. Both work just as well. Mxr has more adjustments but atleast for me there's not much use for the special features. Isp is simple and effective. I use my mxr in the fx loop and isp in the front. No complaints once you get the thresholds adjusted.

That's about all my knowledge on gates so I can't help too much. :D

i like the rocktron over the ns-2 for that price range, but the isp slays them both IMO. it is the only gate i have ever used where i didnt need to to tweak the pre and presence on my amp afterward to get back to my preferred tone.