Non Metal

Yain

New Metal Member
Sep 11, 2013
Jerusalem, Israel.
Hi, does anyone here enjoys other non metal genres? I like some country artists, hip hop, and pop rock/hard rock. Wondering what about you all

I mostly into Power metal and Heavy metal. Thrash, prog, 80s, shred, neoclassical, symphonic, video game metal, lil bit of death & black. And plenty of crossovers.

But as far as non-metal goes I suppose Classic rock, prog rock, hard rock, glam rock, AOR, alt rock (Bit of a Muse, Radiohead fan.) etc.

And there's Classical music, particularly baroque and romantic-era.

Occasional classic pop - Beatles, Elvis, Abba, etc.

I tend to listen to classical music more and more. It's really relaxing to do when reading:) Part from that I'm listening to folk music a lot.

I also like classical music. I think Ive heard some long classical song at some point, got bored of the long piano solo in it and then stopped listening to that genre. But its so relaxing while doing things that I just have to hear it again soon

Been listening to a bit of funk rock and a bit of ska recently. I love newer ska but can't stand punk so it's quite difficult finding decent, consistent bands/albums as the two genres are so tightly intertwined.

It's the bass that does it for me.

Is anyone here listening to metal/hard rock and it's subgenres as your primary choice of music and these other genres as a secondary choice or the other way around? When I started listening to music I first listened mostly to folk music, then more and more I listened to metal and the like. Now I feel like I'm going back more and more to folk and less to metal. Perhaps it goes in periods, or I'm just getting more pickier, but I'm getting bored much more easily listening to harder stuff lately. Part from a few bands that never fail me:).

Is anyone here listening to metal/hard rock and it's subgenres as your primary choice of music and these other genres as a secondary choice or the other way around? When I started listening to music I first listened mostly to folk music, then more and more I listened to metal and the like. Now I feel like I'm going back more and more to folk and less to metal. Perhaps it goes in periods, or I'm just getting more pickier, but I'm getting bored much more easily listening to harder stuff lately. Part from a few bands that never fail me:).
I became interested in listening to music at a relatively late age, I dont know exactly when or what age, but I remember it was pretty late. I remember not being interested in my childhood, so I think I started listening to music at circa age 14. I think my first was hard rock/post grunge of canadian/american bands like nickelback, breakin benjamin, theory of a deadman and so on

After that I started discovering metal music. One of my first metal bands were slipknot, disturbed and Korn. After that I discovered my probably very first power metal band, DragonForce. I remember being so excited when I heard Once in a lifetime. It amazed me in every aspect, so yeah I'd say DragonForce are what made me love Power metal in the first place

About the question which genres I listen to more, I'd say metal for sure. But when I first started listening to music, it was hard rock/post-grunge. Had no knowledge about metal back in the day

My guilty pleasures definitely have to be 80's synth driven pop such as Pet Shop Boys, A-ha, Duran Duran, Talk Talk, Erasure....that kind of thing. Great stuff for power metal cover versions as well as we've seen so much of over the past 10 years.

Certainly. Over the last year or so my ears have been itching for all types of other music. I'll listen to the old greats that I've never gotten tired of but nothing new seems to interest me in the metal world. Not sure if it's normal to "max out" on a certain genre but I'm probably there! I like more relaxing music these days anyway, something with more groove and mellow synths :D

Certainly. Over the last year or so my ears have been itching for all types of other music. I'll listen to the old greats that I've never gotten tired of but nothing new seems to interest me in the metal world. Not sure if it's normal to "max out" on a certain genre but I'm probably there! I like more relaxing music these days anyway, something with more groove and mellow synths :D
Whats relaxing music to you, Michael? For me its classical music and jazz, stuff like that. I dont know what genre has groove and mellow synths, its difficult to tell because theres so many styles these days

@Natan, here's a sample of some music I've been obsessed with lately, stuff I consider relaxing. The first one is a remix of another song, the vocals aren't changed, but everything else is subdued synthesizers; the next one is just a pretty piano piece I found and fell in love with

Oh, and yes, PLENTY of ambience and electronica! Two of my favorites. I fall asleep to sounds of nature every night as well. Very relaxing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting voice that singer has on the first song. Might check out albums by that band, was going to do that a while back I believe but didnt get to

And second one is just piano.....yes, piano's always relaxing. Thanks for sharing, came here after an exhausting day and your songs made me feel better!

Heres a song I find relaxing if anybody wants to check it out -

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not the only one, then:). Perhaps it's got something to do with what part of life you're in, as well. Lately I've been wanting more deeper lyrics, with which I can relate and/or think a lot about. And I feel that not many bands fall under that category...

Kind of the same principle as when you're in love and like listening to love songs;).

I can relate in a way. I love the crispness and definition that electronic instruments have, especially on a high end audio system. I just don't like the song structures and the fact that any lyrics are ostensibly about getting laid or having a party.

There really should be more stuff out there like Daft Punk's Digital Love. A rare example of an electronic song structured like a rock song, complete with widdly synth guitar solo!!

Daft Punk's "Contact" is one of my top songs of the year. No words except the spoken beginning, and I just find the constant buildup of energy to be done perfectly - love to play this one at night with the bass high :)

I gotta admit here though, that king of leon band is amazing. I'll check them out further soon, really glad I could find out about a good band from here. Always happy to learn about new bands

When it comes to lyrics, I rarely pay attention to that in metal since metal in general has tendency to be noisy, so that doesnt allow me to hear what the lyrics are about at times. Some vocalists also have an unclear voice which makes it difficult to tell what the words are. But in Country music for example, most singers have a clear voice and thats also part of the reason why I like that genre