Noob question.. About Camel

Definitely Moonmadness.

And if you have the extra cash, also buy In the Court of the Crimson King, by the prog band King Crimson. This last is quite melancholy and sad compared to the prog of the era. It's got a certain atmosphere that's quite comparable to Opeth. I don't know whether they are an influence or not though.

Well its nice to hear someone take an interest in this great band. Thier history is now 36 years with like Opeth style changes withing a feel or sound.
to my mind a good starting place would be one of thier live records as it will give you the best of what camel offers in many ways and also a chance to hear songs in thier purest form. I hope you will find Andy Latimer a revelation he is one of the most emotional of guitarists out there.
I would suggest either Never let go or comming of age, both show Camel in recent years and at the top of thier game in live tems.
Studio wise im not going to suggest The Snowgoose as in my opinion camels A Live Record from that time gives you some classics plus the snow goose live with an orchestra and also Andy Wards demon drumming and Pete Bardens excellent organ work.
If you want a studio album id say try I can see your house from here it features a track called Ice wow the lead guitar part is 1 take and an awsome song or maybe Rajaz. Harbour of tears and Dust and Dreams sound better on the live albums i have named. I also like Stationary traveler (a bit to 80s in production but still interesting)
If you like jazz influenced music then one of my favoriot albums and the one that got me into Camel is Raindances a mini master piece of its time.
The first album is good to but a bit like Orchid a taster of what was to come.

Enjoy

:headbang:

not the jazzy parts.. not really the emotion i had in mind.. but im still new to the whole 70s prog rock thing so maybe i'm hearing it completely different than you are

If you want more reflective music then i would suggest Harbour of tears or maybe Rajaz
camel is not that often melecolny or sad having said that Stationary traveller has many levels and the obviouse one is about people trying to leave east germany for the west knowing they will probably never see thier loved ones again. also i think a bit about the possable culture shock they would encounter.
Harbour of tears is about the irish leaving for america and many of them will again never see thier familys
dust and dreams is about the Grapes of wrath novel and again about moving on to survive.
Rajaz is quite reflective as Andy Latimers dad had died and sees some reflection in the music.

the early stuff is quite light hearted and not what i think you are looking for.

Anyone into atomic rooster

have you tried The groundhogs song the Garden from thank christ for the bomb.

Their first four albums are pretty much amazing. Their later ones Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink are also amazing although not as many people seem to think so. My favorite track by them is Unevensong (especially the ending), which is on Rain Dances (not bad but not one of their best albums I think).

+1 on Rajaz.

It's definately on par with the first 4 albums IMO - Sahara and Lawrence have beautiful lead guitar work.

Harbour of tears is their best album in my opinion. Camel is superb.
bw., i hardly post here...so hello everyone. :)

Definitely Moonmadness.

And if you have the extra cash, also buy In the Court of the Crimson King, by the prog band King Crimson. This last is quite melancholy and sad compared to the prog of the era. It's got a certain atmosphere that's quite comparable to Opeth. I don't know whether they are an influence or not though.

In the Court of the Crimson King is 50% quite good, and 50% quite bad.