Thanks Mikael for all the great influences!

Demoke said:
Coming back to the beginning of this thread, I'd like to thank not only Mike but also NineFeetUnderground. Many bands I've checked after his recommendations and I happen to like almost all of them. So, cheers, guy!

Yea I agree, I got into Anglagard and Caravan because of him (plus a few other bands).

I got into opeth from listening to bloodbaths NMF, so im still pretty new to opeth. But from listening to opeth has made me more picky to what music i listen to, i wont buy an album unless i fall in love with it.

Opeth touches melodic death metal for the growl and the heavy sound and prog for the polyedrich structures, the concepts and the innovative and artistic innovation.

death metal, the hard & raw one, must be understood. In this sense, there are some great bands like Morbid Angel, first Entombed, Obituary etc. for the melodic scene Hypocrisy, Edge Of Sanity, last At The Gates etc. :)

the only one band that is exempt from any criticism is Death from 1993 to 1998 (and the. Chuck Schuldiner is the best metal guitarist of all times, great music, wonderful solos, very high-rate lyrics and a unique style (nobody can play like he did). And he wrote all music and lyrics.
There is also Dark Tranquillity, if you consider this band a death metal band (but some people say not because they're too melodic, experimental, elegant and out of the death metal concepts).

let the metal flow, and support music not rumors ;)

for the man who asked about a band similar to Opeth to listen: Novembre. This Italian band started at the same time/a little before Opeth and we can say that they influenced each other. Novembre is a bit more gothic in the style howewer.

Woods of Ypres is miserable, like a third rate Opeth. They don't come close to Opeth on the following:

Musicianship - All aspects
Songwriting - All aspects
Vocals - All aspects

How can you people like both Opeth and Woods of Ypres??? It's like a 75% regression in music, I can't understand it.

Arnold Layne said:
I checked out death, they were ok had some cool riff's. Morbid angel, where the slime lives is kinda meh, and rapture? (a vid with some dude in a net) is repetative and shit. Death metal is over-rated

a band that has 8 albums in their career...please tell me those aren't the only 2 songs you've heard from Morbid Angel. You'd be one ignorant fool to conclude that death metal is overrated after hearing 2 morbid angel songs and a few Death songs.

Dreadful said:
a band that has 8 albums in their career...please tell me those aren't the only 2 songs you've heard from Morbid Angel. You'd be one ignorant fool to conclude that death metal is overrated after hearing 2 morbid angel songs and a few Death songs.

OF course there is bloodbath, cannibal corpse and nile (nile i didnt mind). But Ive heard enough to know I dont like it, and people go on about it to much. Dont think much of black metal either, and ive listened to more of that.

Looking for a Job said:
akerfeldt's vocals > geddy lee by a mile

since when is rush about the vocals lol? yyz's bass > mendez :D

by the way, to you stuff is only over- / underrated when YOU say so....

Melinda's Lover said:
Early Genesis > Opeth, all aspects.

Is really necessary comparing great bands which are different but still great?

Genesis is one of the best prog rock band of the early 70s and a masterpiece for all rock.
Rush is a legend of hard rock & prog rock, 30 years of unique musicianship.
Opeth is one of the best metal bands of the last ten years (IMHO with Dark Tranquillity, Nevermore, Katatonia, Fear Factory, Korn).

They're all great. Three great bands.

Don't need to diminish one of these. :)