Mikael Alerfeldt in the G3 ...??!

A. Iverson

deceased
Jul 17, 2005
Bahrain
I have been listening to Opeth since 1998. I was recently introduced to the G3 by my friend; and i was unimpressed. These guys go mainly for speed,, most of their music lacks beauty. On the other hand, Mikael and Peter may not be so fast (although they have some really ripping kickass solos), yet their music is beautiful beyond anything by the G3; those so-called "best guitarists in the world". So i just wondering,, who nominates these guys? How come they are chosen year after year as the best 3 guitarists on this planet..? Do Mikael and Peter have any chance of performing in the g3, even if only as guests of honour ...???

the sentiment of the post is correct and true, i agree. Unfortunately though i don't think peter or ackey will get to the G3 because they are in a band. All the guitarists (i know) that are in it are solo ones. :(

it will never happen, and it shouldn't. i watched a dvd....to me, it seems like its more of a showcase of speed and egos. the music doesn't seem to be the focus. the guitar lead guitar level is through the roof...its like the other musicians aren't even there.

^true, and malmsteen's there so you dont want to look at him for too long, plays well but DORK ALERT

The G3 is not a competition, and its not an award for best guitarist or anything. Joe Satriani holds the G3... its his concert and he invites people to come along, perform their music and at the end of the night jam on some hendrix or zappa or zz top ... i think its fuckin amazing and that would be my most anticipated concert other than an evening with Opeth... tons of great guitarists have gone on the G3 tour (i think there has been six) although a good number of them include Steve Vai, who was Satriani's student for the longest, so they are like a team...and although there is lots of shred at the G3 concert there is also tons of slow stuff... especially at the one with Satriani, Vai, and Eric Johnson...

as for the guys from Opeth at the G3... well, the G3 is a "jam" and we know that these guys don't jam too much... although I have noticed that they are starting to lean towards it a bit more... also the G3 is kind of a virtuoso thing, so I don't know if they really fit that sort of thing... Even Mike says he is no Jeff Loomis...

G3 is not an announcement that they are the best.. they just do it for fun, but a lot of people who watch it think that they are the best guitarists...

EDIT: BTW... if you've watched the G3 with Malmsteem you will see that Steve's band is just as front and center as he is...but I do admit that Malmsteem has a serious ego...

and you are ALWAYS fucking miserable ^

i think the G3 needs to be taken for what it is. A chance for guitarists to show off. It is fun to watch but there isn't much "meat' to it as it were, i must say I wouldn't mind seeing it, i heard its very good

G3 does kinda suck.... Eric Johnson was fairly enjoyable to watch, but Joe and Steve are just... ehhh... I dont like fast show offy things like that...

this is why when people say dream theater is awesome, i dont understand that.. because its just a basic song ripped to pieces by fast pointless guitar solos and keyboard solos... I do like some Dream Theater, but they arent the greatest or even close....

PS... speed metal is lame too...

i don't like any of those gay solo guitarists. it gets fucking boring. WOW okay, you can play anything on guitar ever (or so you think) and you can do it fast. horray!..let's write 5643464 of the same song.

I think g3 is mainly for those virtuoso guitarists that like to shred. It doesn't mean those guitarists suck, it's all subjective anyway. I think they are great guitarists, but of course I'd put Akerfeldt's guitar playing over any of those g3 players anyday, unless Michael Romeo went on that, then it'd be a different story for me, haha.

funny thing is, i hold mike as the greatest solo guitarist in a rock setting of all time - even though he doesn't play that many notes

who the hell is better than him? hendrix? psh...

mh G3...haven't listened to that stuff in ages. i don't care much tho i kinda enjoy some guitar-wankage every now and then. mike wouldn't fit there at all. jeff loomis would be a better idea. he would shred satriani and vai off stage... ^^

Joe Stump and Jeff Loomis would be great additions to G3... from what I've heard though, both these guys a pretty tasteless... way more wankage from these guys than from Satch or Vai...

Zakk Wylde would rip it too...