Noob question.. About Camel

I've always thought early Genesis (Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound) was the 70's prog band that most reflected the spirit of Opeth. The ye olde atmosphere, the story-telling, the alternation between quiet acoustic passages and louder more aggressive ones, the long, exquisite arrangements, etc .

well, i have already heard the one called moonmadness and concearning with mendez, it is one of the most spectacular albums ever made (after opeth discography of course :rofl:)

no one finds camel (the self titled album, that is) to be as good as... snow goose maybe? i really like it.. great stuff.

I've always thought early Genesis (Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound) was the 70's prog band that most reflected the spirit of Opeth. The ye olde atmosphere, the story-telling, the alternation between quiet acoustic passages and louder more aggressive ones, the long, exquisite arrangements, etc .

Well Opeth had the Instrumental -For Absent Friends(Deliverance) And as we know, most of their songs are a tribute/reference to his 70's prog influences.

Definitely Moonmadness.

And if you have the extra cash, also buy In the Court of the Crimson King, by the prog band King Crimson. This last is quite melancholy and sad compared to the prog of the era. It's got a certain atmosphere that's quite comparable to Opeth. I don't know whether they are an influence or not though.

Hey saw your recommendation for Camel. I just picked it up on 12" record today after reading your post a few days ago. Great stuff thanks for sharing!

On Lamentations Mike talks about Ending Credits being "totally ripped off from Camel." What song from Camel is it supposed to be similar to?

I think it's The Snow Goose. The general style is similar. Not really the same to be honest. Also compare The Great Marsh to The Moor's intro. I had a eureka moment when I heard that.

Speaking about these old prog bands that has influenced Opeth,after digging into the world of Camel and King Crimson i have discovered an old German prog band called Nektar. I dont know that much about prog so i dont know if they are that famous,but man is it good stuff or what? I´ve never seen Mikael refering to them as an influence but they remind me of Opeth in so many ways.