Noob question about Interfaces

Jan [MTW]

Aug 26, 2010
Germany
Hey,
At the moment i record my guitars wih a line6 studio gx and i was wondering
if there are quality differences of the DIs when you use different
interfaces?! Or are the only differences between serveral interfaces just
the inputs/outputs and the latency ....?

Sorry if the answer is obvious, but i really have no clue. :loco:

Yes. Different interfaces will have different preamps which will contribute to the quality of the signal. For instance, I just upgraded my Presonus Firebox to a Saffire Pro 40 and the difference in quality is amazing. Latency will mostly depend on your PC specs and the stability of the unit's drivers.

Nice to hear. Then i think it's time to upgrade for me, soon! :)
Could anybody recommend a nice interface for less than 500€?
I only need one input, because i don't record drums !

Yes. Different interfaces will have different preamps which will contribute to the quality of the signal. For instance, I just upgraded my Presonus Firebox to a Saffire Pro 40 and the difference in quality is amazing. Latency will mostly depend on your PC specs and the stability of the unit's drivers.

Wow, I was thinking of making this exact same post.

@Scottrosia, I'm just about to upgrade from an old AuidoBox to the Saffire unit guitarguru777 recommended to me.

Now as for the difference between the Firebox and Saffire Pro 40, is the difference between the recorded signals really that noticeable?

Nice to hear. Then i think it's time to upgrade for me, soon! :)
Could anybody recommend a nice interface for less than 500€?
I only need one input, because i don't record drums !

I got my Saffire Pro 40 for $340 on eBay. Obviously, it has more inputs than it sounds like you need but you can get some pretty good deals on them. Otherwise, you should try to find a Saffire Pro 14 or Pro 24. The preamps in these things are pretty amazing and, from what I've gathered around the interwebz, the best for the price. I do still have my Firebox if you'd be interested but it would most likely just be a stepping stone unit.

@Scottrosia, I'm just about to upgrade from an old AuidoBox to the Saffire unit guitarguru777 recommended to me.

Now as for the difference between the Firebox and Saffire Pro 40, is the difference between the recorded signals really that noticeable?

I think so, yes. The DI signal is much clearer. I hooked my condenser up to it the other day to do some scratch tracks for a singer/songwriter I'm recording and that's where the preamps really shined. It made my mic, an AKG C2000B (which is a pretty decent mic) sound so much better. The highs were so much clearer and the lows were much more well defined and there is plenty of gain to spare. It was definitely a noticeable difference. It's not that the Firebox pres sound absolutely terrible, it just doesn't compare to the quality of the preamps in the Pro 40. You will definitely be please with your unit.

I got my Saffire Pro 40 for $340 on eBay. Obviously, it has more inputs than it sounds like you need but you can get some pretty good deals on them. Otherwise, you should try to find a Saffire Pro 14 or Pro 24. The preamps in these things are pretty amazing and, from what I've gathered around the interwebz, the best for the price. I do still have my Firebox if you'd be interested but it would most likely just be a stepping stone unit.

Is the Saffire Pro 14/24 as good as the Saffire Pro 40 only with less inputs?
Would be awesome, because I don't want to pay like half of the Pro 40's
price only for all those inputs I will never use!

Check out the TC Konnekt series. I don't think you can get anything better for the price.

So, Is the Saffire 14 as good as the 40 only with less inputs/outputs?
And the Konnekt is as good as the Saffire 14, but it costs less?
If i am right I would rather go for the Saffire 14, because it looks like
its better produced.

So, Is the Saffire 14 as good as the 40 only with less inputs/outputs?
And the Konnekt is as good as the Saffire 14, but it costs less?
If i am right I would rather go for the Saffire 14, because it looks like
its better produced.

I think both are solid choices.

I'm pretty positive the preamps in the Pro 40 are the same ones that are in the Pro 14. I've never heard of the TC Konnekt but it may be worth looking at. All I know is the general consensus is that the Saffire stuff is at the top of the line and based on my experience, I would have to agree.