Questions about line6 gear and recording

AlienPowerslime

New Metal Member
Feb 5, 2011
First of all hello everyone :). This is my first post on this sacred forum :worship:.

My questions concern line6 gear. I've been looking for an answer all around the web, so now I'm turning towards my last hope.

It's been now a year that I own a toneport gx and I'm quite happy with it, but something has always bugged me: if you climb up the product latter (from gx to let's say UX2 or pod XT/X3), does that also mean that the sound quality gets better ? (in other words, does a UX2/pod XT generate a better sound than the gx, due to better tech specs or whatever?). It might seem like a stupid question but I've always been bothered buy this sort of "backgroundish" sound that I get with the gx, compared to what others get with a pod xt for example. After tweaking my ass off for months, all I got was a "respectable" sound but nothing that would come close to the "clarity" of what others get. (Maybe I just suck at tweaking though :loco:).

Secondly, concerning recording (knowing that I can't afford either physically nor financially an amp setup), would you guys rather suggest going with the line6 sect or does a good usb audio interface+amp sims bring much better results in sound?

I would have answered those questions by myself if only I had a chance to test all that gear :(. I just hope someone can clear this up for me!

Thanks to all who take a minute to answer :headbang:

(oh yeah and if I don't answer right away, that's because it's past midnight here and it won't take long for me to sleep in on my keyboard...)

I can not comment on the toneport as I never had one. I have tried however to get a decent sound out of pod xt and x3 for years and while they are ok for clean stuff, they just don't cut it for chunky metal riffs. The biggest problem in my experience isn't with the amp models, but the cab simulation. If you have the option to download any version of pod farm with your toneport then do that, they should sound identical to what is in podxt/x3 (I had both and the amp models or cabs were not updated).

I would suggest disabling the pod built in cab sim and only use the amp models with impulses (available on here somewhere). Just grab a free impulse loader like Kefir or Boogex and one of the great impulses (do a search, they are on here somewhere). The difference in sound and clarity will blow your mind. No kidding...