Which brand are Line6's DAC's on PODxt and POD HD (and how good are they)?

F

filipe

Hey guys! So i just read on the internet that the quality of the DAC's of an interface is the soul of the audio it produces.

My question is the one in the thread: - What are the DAC's Line6 uses on POD HD and which one did they use on the XT bean.

I own an XT bean, so that's the source of my interest.

Thanks DeLuther!

I just have three more questions:

- Can i change the the digital converters for better signal to noise ratio and dynamic range?

- I just opened my PODxt yesterday after asking this, and wonder where this chip is located. Is it on the plugs you plug your guitar in or is it one of the chips sitting on the electronic board?

- Plus, i have copied this information about some chips i saw inside the POD:

1st) hynix hy57v161610dtc-7 (This a very small one, with 3 or 4 of them)

2nd) aml29l v800bb (This a mid-sized one, and only one of it)
-90ec
0243mvm q
amd

3rd) analog devices (This the bigger one)

adsp-21065l
ks-240
121925.1-0.3
sharc

4th) There was another one from Philips, mid-sized and only one, but i
wasn't able to check what it was written in, cause it had a sticker.

Also i touched the Philipps chip while trying to take the sticker off, and there was a little bit of 'grease' from my hand on the chip. Can that affect the device somehow?

And again thank you very much for the answers!

You can only change converters for compatible ones, this is stated in datashits.
Just make larger photo of board :)
Hynix must be memory chips, Sharc is main DSP processor.
CODEC should have ak4528xxx marking, according to info...
I think that it can`t affect device, unless you seriously damaged it :)

if you want to improve the sound of the POD you can't just swap the ADC and DAC. Those chips are only a small part of the signal path and the analog parts around them are going to have a bigger change.

IMO, don't mess inside digital gear. Operate them well within their ideal levels and run them into transformers and tubes to improve the sound.