Noob with Amplitube

prizo

Noob
Nov 21, 2005
Calgary, AB
Hi all.

I thought my production was allright until I heard some of the stuff you guys are doing.
Wow.
Looks like many of you use Pod, but I have Amplitube (using with FLStudio).

Anyone have any killer (or half decent) patches for Amplitube they can share... or any tips?

I'm not looking for a solid state sound... ideally it would be a Machine Head tone (or Thrice - if any of you are familiar with them).

Well I also have a Line6 AX2... but I always thought that Amplitube sounded better.

But maybe there are some sweet ax2 patches out there?

Machine Head use tube amps. Amplitube is horrible, although it looks like a lot of improvements are on the way with the upcoming version.

I'd use any Line 6 product ever made before I'd use Amplitube.

prizo said:
Hi all.

I thought my production was allright until I heard some of the stuff you guys are doing.
Wow.
Looks like many of you use Pod, but I have Amplitube (using with FLStudio).

Anyone have any killer (or half decent) patches for Amplitube they can share... or any tips?

I'm not looking for a solid state sound... ideally it would be a Machine Head tone (or Thrice - if any of you are familiar with them).
You can check some general patches I have made some time ago:
www.milking-rosewood.com/Audio/amplitube_DushanS.zip
Nothing fancy, and not strictly metal. As Amplitube can sound really harsh and is (at least for me) quite hard to make amplitube track to "sit" in mix, I was just trying to get rid of annoying "fizzy" character.
You can hear sounds of presets with my guitar:
www.milking-rosewood.com/Audio/Dushan_Amplitube_Presets_Sounds.mp3
These are Joe Burdens, that are really clear and defined, you may get more "Metal" results if you have EMG's.
Even if I dislike general sound of Amplitube it beehaves more like a real amp when playing than guitar rig. GR has some character of the amps right, but feels very unnatural to play for me. I think that line6 emulations are still ahead of anything in strictly software form, even basic Guitar Port will do the better job than Amplitube or Guitar Rig.

Just playing a little devil's advocate for Amplitube: most of Chimpspanner's earlier tunes were made with it (see his Soundclick page, specifically "Clarity and Chaos" and "Smiles and Cries"), and I think they sound pretty damn good. As for patches, I don't think he ever posted them anywhere, but someone posted an e-mail he wrote to them about how his patches were set up in this thread.

Thanks guys.
That Chimpspanner patch is nice.. I'll be following his 'instructions'.

I could buy Stienberg Warp from a buddy, is it any better? Anyone use/try it?

prizo said:
Thanks guys.
That Chimpspanner patch is nice.. I'll be following his 'instructions'.

I could buy Stienberg Warp from a buddy, is it any better? Anyone use/try it?
Try it for yourself. That was one of first soft sims, and it produces considerable amounts of ugliness for such a small plug.

I think I came up with a half decent tone. I went through so many patches that I dont remember which one I used as a starting point but I tweaked it quite a bit.

I'll post a sample later so you guys can rip it apart.

I also used an idea I got from one of the linked threads... I recorded the bass part on my guitar, then pitch shifted down an octave. Works out well for a guy without a bass. Better than synth bass anyway.

Hee... James from Datura hangs out here as well?? cool... :headbang:

I think what you have done with amplitube is amazing man.. sounds wicked to... been following your project for a while now.. good to see it's progressing...

Black neon bob said:
Hee... James from Datura hangs out here as well?? cool... :headbang:

I think what you have done with amplitube is amazing man.. sounds wicked to... been following your project for a while now.. good to see it's progressing...

Heya mate! Cheers for the cool words :) Where did you first hear it... Harmony Central?!

Prizo - Just mailed you the patch bud :wave:

i ever use amplitube (vst version) as a amp/cabinet simulator... the distortion comes from my shredmaster... but one day, i proove the 80 metal patch of amplitube with more gain for a ramstain cover... and the results was very very acceptable