Norse mythology books

OnceSealedInBlood

fuck shit
Jan 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I was just wondering, is there some kind of Norse Mythology book I could buy. I geuss sort of like the bible...but replace god with Oden, and replace jesus with Vidal (sp). Or just like Norse Mythology stories. I was reading up some definitions on who all these people are that Amon Amarth talks about....it's cool stuff. I geuss that's part of what makes Amon amarth so cool. Its basically telling a story through kick ass music. So yeah, any books on Norse Mythology??? I know there is obviously some books out there, but I geuss i'm asking for any suggestions...or reccommendations. Although I am christian (thats just a title...i dont go to church or anything and i dont pray to god and stuff....im basically a nothing. I have next to no religious beliefs) I do have to say, Oden is a much cooler god then "the god"....He freikin has a spear...and it never misses its target...and he rides a horse with 8 frekin hooves! Now thats awesome stuff.

Well since the vikings haven't left much written traces but runes ... I guess you could read Hagard the Horrible, simply because he is god and maybe add some Jager to it. But yeah, AA doesn't mention any of them so maybe it's not that cool. Oh .. wait Hagar has a shield so yeah he must be cool.

i'd suggest you start out reading a book entitled something like "legends of the Norsemen".. its no particular book, just try to find a book which resumes all the legendary stories of the Gods, and then you go into more precise stuff and hero stories later on once you know the basic stuff. thats how i started and i think its the best way. these legends are indeed truly beautiful, its like reading some Tolkien.. hmm actually reading Tolkien is like reading legends of the Norsemen :p

Celtik Militia said:
i'd suggest you start out reading a book entitled something like "legends of the Norsemen".. its no particular book, just try to find a book which resumes all the legendary stories of the Gods, and then you go into more precise stuff and hero stories later on once you know the basic stuff. thats how i started and i think its the best way. these legends are indeed truly beautiful, its like reading some Tolkien.. hmm actually reading Tolkien is like reading legends of the Norsemen :p

I was at this finnish store down town Toronto today after signing up for my drum lessons (which is going to be fucking awesome...im the next fredrick!) . I looked around but I couldnt find a book on anything like the Norse Mythology stuff...maybe because it was a finnish store....but maybe like "The Kalevala" (sp)...its apparently like the finnish lord of the rings...I'll check chapters I geuss....

I don't know if you have Borders or Barnes and Nobles up there, but if you do check out the history section, you should be able to find something in there. The Edda is the place to start, I have another book that tells pretty much all the same myths plus some extra stories (Sigurd) but they're all slightly different in spots. Can't remember the name though.

Belgar said:
You could also read Crichton's book, "Eaters of the dead" very good book. But again, only thing I can sayis that I don't belong in this century and that is the sad part, reading books will just clear my mind for a few hours.

What do you mean "not in this century", are you like a futuristic being? Please tell me that Im 200 years old and a cyborg in the future.

Belgar said:
Not that! Just that i tend to long for ancient times. I wish I could live back in my village but maybe 700-800 years ago. Regardless of the hardship life was back then ... I could care less about the modern concrete life of 2005.

See...we have something in common. I always wish I could go back in time and be a viking, or fight fire breathing dragons and shit. You could always pull a stunt like in "The Village". I would come live with you in the little reserve. When I die, I want to go to Valhalla....So I want a viking sword and shield so that Odens Valkyries can find me...and bring me accross the rainbow bridge...then when Ragnarok comes...im going to be right behind Oden and Sleipnir as he goes to battle Fenrir....then me and Valdir will fucking rip fenrirs jaws open...like a tag team match.....And then the world will sink into the sea, and I will be reborn in a flawless world where gods and mortals live in peace.

Well, don't mix fantasy or tales with reality of what ancient life was. I would love to go back to the village I grew up in but 700-800 years back ... as far as dragons ... well I leave that to storytellers :p but honestly, while living in Europe and going back there for vacations I often dwell in the minds of what it would have been 700 years (or more) ago when my people roamed these same very streets. Right now, with the way the world is going, we are more and more headed towards a madmax era than anything else. My prospect for the future is very bleak.

Belgar said:
Not that! Just that i tend to long for ancient times. I wish I could live back in my village but maybe 700-800 years ago. Regardless of the hardship life was back then ... I could care less about the modern concrete life of 2005.

fucking AGREED!!

i would have liked to know the period when we could fuck 'em virgins in the hay with our farm boots still on... how i would have liked to live in these unstable periods, times of war and mighty battle, swordsmanship and great adventure. honestly i often tell myself i was born in the wrong period.
but i wouldnt know what period to choose, there are so many fascinating ones.. the greeks, the romans, the 500-900 period, the midieval period, the renaissance, the fucking kick ass Napoleon :p, etc... we live in a boring period.. dont we? except for the music, what would we do without it?

Celtik Militia said:
fucking AGREED!!

i would have liked to know the period when we could fuck 'em virgins in the hay with our farm boots still on... how i would have liked to live in these unstable periods, times of war and mighty battle, swordsmanship and great adventure. honestly i often tell myself i was born in the wrong period.
but i wouldnt know what period to choose, there are so many fascinating ones.. the greeks, the romans, the 500-900 period, the midieval period, the renaissance, the fucking kick ass Napoleon :p, etc... we live in a boring period.. dont we? except for the music, what would we do without it?

Aha! a Bonapartist! Guards, arrest him!

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
do you like him, or just respect him, keltik? Anyway you forgot to mention the mighty Charlemagne!

i like and respect Napoleon, he has done much for france and europe, although through war... but actually he didnt really start those wars anyway.
Charlemagne is pretty cool too, except that he was too much into the christian bullshit.

Start here: Prose Edda, Poetic Edda, Sagas of Icelanders, Njals Saga, Saga of Volsungs, Sagas of Warrior Poets, Heimskringla, King Haralds Saga and the loads of Norse myth books like Tales of the Norse Gods, Gods and Myths of Northern Europe, The Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley Holland, Norse Mythology: A guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals and Beliefs.