Norse mythology books

i was workin for a guy that wrote a book about where the vikings came from, who they really are, about the gods, its really good, but its on danish, i made him a cd-book on a program... i can ask him if i can put it on the internet for those who read danish... its a really good book.

OnceSealedInBlood said:
I was just wondering, is there some kind of Norse Mythology book I could buy. I geuss sort of like the bible...but replace god with Oden, and replace jesus with Vidal (sp). Or just like Norse Mythology stories. I was reading up some definitions on who all these people are that Amon Amarth talks about....it's cool stuff. I geuss that's part of what makes Amon amarth so cool. Its basically telling a story through kick ass music. So yeah, any books on Norse Mythology??? I know there is obviously some books out there, but I geuss i'm asking for any suggestions...or reccommendations. Although I am christian (thats just a title...i dont go to church or anything and i dont pray to god and stuff....im basically a nothing. I have next to no religious beliefs) I do have to say, Oden is a much cooler god then "the god"....He freikin has a spear...and it never misses its target...and he rides a horse with 8 frekin hooves! Now thats awesome stuff.
There's a great picture book called "Sagas of the Norsemen" published by the TimeLife book series. I highly recommend getting it. It's really cheap and it's filled with beautiful pictures of drawings, artifacts, historical documents, and Nordic landscapes.

Arch said:
There's a great picture book called "Sagas of the Norsemen" published by the TimeLife book series. I highly recommend getting it. It's really cheap and it's filled with beautiful pictures of drawings, artifacts, historical documents, and Nordic landscapes.

a colorful little booklet with lots of big fat pictures and drawings in it to make it cooler and more fun to read, this is definately for OnceSealedInBlood!... :D

no seriously i've long been looking for a huge book (like a big atlas) but on the vikings and the myths, with pictures and lots of details, but its so impossible to find any here, that fucking sucks... i guess i'll have to get into Greeko-roman mythology, its easier to get stuff here... heck its awsome stories too!.. but i probably know them all anyway.

see you guys, cause i have some time to spend, i'm bored and drunk, i shall enrich your knowledge (except Belgar who knows everything!). so i live joyfully and happilly in france. you guys should know that french litterature is pretty rich, and at a period in time, authors would only pick up stories already written by ancient greeks and romans! this was a trend.. so these french authors would rewrite famous old tales and myths, authors like Racine and this other famous dude i just cant figure the name out anymore (it starts by a C i think and he was a rival of Racine). anyway, these authors would ONLY repeat stories already invented untill authors like Perrault said "no stop! lets write our own popular stories!", and this dude wrote the little red ridding hood. anyway this is to say that greeko-roman mythology is very incrusted in my culture cause all these authors had that theme! Egyptian mythology is also so well known here cause napoleon was the first to start studies about it (indeed when he invaded egypt, he had the good sens to bring a couple hundred archeologists and scientists with him!)... celtic mythology is less well known as the ones i just talked about but its still a little known cause we have some cetlic populations, and we got the famous comic strip Asterix Et Obelix wich stars these celts of Gaul resisting the romans... anyway all this to say that the only cool mythology i have a hard time finding info about is the germanic one which is a shame cause for all i know about it it seems to be one of the most interresting for me so that fucking sucks shit. now you know what? i could keep on blablaing for quite some time and bore you with all that shit which doesnt concern you so why would you give a flying fuck. but i think i should stop here cause i wouldnt like my computor to crash down (yeah it does that quite often) after spending more than half a fucking hour on that shit for nothing, so it ends here.

if you read all this, i can only :worship: down to you and be :OMG:

You can find anything about Norse and vikings on the net.

But, if you prefer info on paper, check out "Handbook of Norse Mythology". It's a recent publication (2001 I think), hell my college's library had quite a few Norse books and this was the best one.

Also if you're interested, check out "Westward to Vinland", it's a good book on pre-Columbian viking settlements in North America.

OnceSealedInBlood said:
See...we have something in common. I always wish I could go back in time and be a viking, or fight fire breathing dragons and shit. You could always pull a stunt like in "The Village". I would come live with you in the little reserve. When I die, I want to go to Valhalla....So I want a viking sword and shield so that Odens Valkyries can find me...and bring me accross the rainbow bridge...then when Ragnarok comes...im going to be right behind Oden and Sleipnir as he goes to battle Fenrir....then me and Valdir will fucking rip fenrirs jaws open...like a tag team match.....And then the world will sink into the sea, and I will be reborn in a flawless world where gods and mortals live in peace.

Dude, welcome to the SCA! You should try us sometime - we've a busy chapter in your neck of the woods. It's somewhat close to living in the past. And you get to beat celts over the head with battleaxes and swords, too. And besides, "IF YOU CAN'T GET LAID IN THE SCA, YOU CAN'T GET LAID AT ALL", so what have you got to loose anyhow?! There's no fucking hockey:yuk: and football season's over:yell: :yell: :yell: , so now is a really good time to go to some events like this:headbang: .
That Time Life book (Sagas of the Norsemen) is available through Chapters here in Canuck land. And, (this is not meant as a snotty remark or anything) don't forget to look in the children's section, too, 'cause that's where all the books with the best pictures are. I couldn't find a damn thing on asatru in my library. Turned out that's because they park books on Norse Mythology in the science fiction section...:Smug: ...who knew.

Tyra said:
Dude, welcome to the SCA! You should try us sometime - we've a busy chapter in your neck of the woods. It's somewhat close to living in the past. And you get to beat celts over the head with battleaxes and swords, too. And besides, "IF YOU CAN'T GET LAID IN THE SCA, YOU CAN'T GET LAID AT ALL", so what have you got to loose anyhow?! There's no fucking hockey:yuk: and football season's over:yell: :yell: :yell: , so now is a really good time to go to some events like this:headbang: .
That Time Life book (Sagas of the Norsemen) is available through Chapters here in Canuck land. And, (this is not meant as a snotty remark or anything) don't forget to look in the children's section, too, 'cause that's where all the books with the best pictures are. I couldn't find a damn thing on asatru in my library. Turned out that's because they park books on Norse Mythology in the science fiction section...:Smug: ...who knew.

Alright, so what exactly is this SCA? I'm really confused as to what exactly it is. Am I missing something? And just for the record, i'm 15 (parents would have to drive me around)...And i'm also not pagan or satanist or whatever...I'm also straight edge...So no drinking or drugs for me...By the sounds of this SCA thing, it sounds cool. I've always imagined myself being an axe weilding maniac, and heres my oppurtunity to see it through...So, you have my interest. Just a bit more of an explanation if its not too much trouble, thanks. HaHa, I just realized something. I've made maybe 10-15 posts on here, and you guys are already telling me to check the childrens book section at chapters and talking about how books with size 18 font and large, colourful (yeah, theres a U in colour) pictures are perfect for me...Is it that obvious....that i'm retarted??? :hotjump: I'm joking...but I really do enjoy those old kids books...Reminds me of the good old days...My 5th year of grade 4....And they finally let me go onto grade 5 this year! I'm so psyched! 2*2=1

Society for Creative Anachronism (I'm still too drunk to spell, so I may have to edit that later). We dress up like morons in medieval duds (anything before the year 1700), then we pich our ...ähum...tents (well, they are whatever an army of whatever culture you are depicting would have lived in - ours in a Norse A-frame Oseberg replica, basically). Sometimes we have tourneys, but sometimes we have wars. In the tourney it's a one-on-one round robin thing, but in the war it's actual screaming hoards attacking eachother all in armour (the best you can afford or make, sometimes actual scale mail, chain mail or plate armour, sometimes old hockey equipment dressed up to look right). At the last event there were 1600 of us attacking with swords, bows, axes, maces, and even a trebouchet. Oh, and then there are the rapier dudes and dudettes, but they don't parttake in the battles with rapiers, obviously. Sometimes there is equestrian and dog races, too. It's loud, hot and stinky at war, but it is also awesome. Everyone looks out for everyone, but your parents will have to sign a waiver that it's OK for you to be there. Lots of people get drunk, but one really, really doesn't have to be pagan or do drugs or drink or whatever. Hell, we bring our kids, and they love it (yeah, they get to beat up on the ogre with bofferswords and stuff, too...that helps, especially if Dad's the ogre - I am going to make Uncle Johan be the ogre next time). Anyhow, you make it exactly what you want to make it. I can get you a website if you PM me.

T. (who edited while still intoxicated)

shit i always wanted to do medieval swordsplay, but i dont have enough money or time :(
btw OnceSealedIBlood, just so you know Tyra is Johan Hegg's sister (johan is the singer of amon amarth). i tell you this cause it took month for me to figure that out :p

Tyra said:
Society for Creative Anachronism (I'm still too drunk to spell, so I may have to edit that later). We dress up like morons in medieval duds (anything before the year 1700), then we pich our ...ähum...tents (well, they are whatever an army of whatever culture you are depicting would have lived in - ours in a Norse A-frame Oseberg replica, basically). Sometimes we have tourneys, but sometimes we have wars. In the tourney it's a one-on-one round robin thing, but in the war it's actual screaming hoards attacking eachother all in armour (the best you can afford or make, sometimes actual scale mail, chain mail or plate armour, sometimes old hockey equipment dressed up to look right). At the last event there were 1600 of us attacking with swords, bows, axes, maces, and even a trebouchet. Oh, and then there are the rapier dudes and dudettes, but they don't parttake in the battles with rapiers, obviously. Sometimes there is equestrian and dog races, too. It's loud, hot and stinky at war, but it is also awesome. Everyone looks out for everyone, but your parents will have to sign a waiver that it's OK for you to be there. Lots of people get drunk, but one really, really doesn't have to be pagan or do drugs or drink or whatever. Hell, we bring our kids, and they love it (yeah, they get to beat up on the ogre with bofferswords and stuff, too...that helps, especially if Dad's the ogre - I am going to make Uncle Johan be the ogre next time). Anyhow, you make it exactly what you want to make it. I can get you a website if you PM me.

T. (who edited while still intoxicated)

Holy fuck shit...that is awesome. And so you guys have like swords and stuff and just beat each other with them? Are they like plastic or what? I really dont want to be slashed open...Celtik Militia, I found it that she was Johanns sister the day I joined. I was looking at old threads, and I saw something mentioning that. It was like "maybe next time i'll post Johanns baby pictures on here." Something to that effect. So yeah, that is very nifty. And yes, i'm well aware who Johann Hegg is...and who the other Johan, Johann Soderberg is as well. Oh, Tyra. Does Johann or any of the other band members ever partake in the wars? If so, that would just be so insane...Fucking getting into a sword fight with Johann Hegg....ha....He'd kick the shit out of me though....How tall is he by the way? He looks pretty tankish. And no, i'm not gay...

OnceSealedInBlood said:
Holy fuck shit...that is awesome. And so you guys have like swords and stuff and just beat each other with them? Are they like plastic or what? I really dont want to be slashed open...Celtik Militia, I found it that she was Johanns sister the day I joined. I was looking at old threads, and I saw something mentioning that. It was like "maybe next time i'll post Johanns baby pictures on here." Something to that effect. So yeah, that is very nifty. And yes, i'm well aware who Johann Hegg is...and who the other Johan, Johann Soderberg is as well. Oh, Tyra. Does Johann or any of the other band members ever partake in the wars? If so, that would just be so insane...Fucking getting into a sword fight with Johann Hegg....ha....He'd kick the shit out of me though....How tall is he by the way? He looks pretty tankish. And no, i'm not gay...

lol the swords are normally in metal but they dont cut, and you wear armour or heavy clothing like fur clothing to protect you... and you try to not really hit the other dude with the point of the sword into the gap of the other dude'd helmet :D especially if he's a beginner... in mt country their wasnt one single big injury in the history of medieval swordsplay. but the weird thing is that i think tyra mentioned she let her son in the fight.. how old is he? isnt it dangerous for him to go into a big sword fight where there can be mistakes, that is unless he's old enough and experienced...

anyway yeah how tall is Johan Hegg? he seemed quite tall at the gig but i didnt go on the stage to slam so i couldnt really try to guess.

Celtik Militia said:
but the weird thing is that i think tyra mentioned she let her son in the fight.. how old is he? isnt it dangerous for him to go into a big sword fight where there can be mistakes, that is unless he's old enough and experienced...
QUOTE]

What's the point of living if you can't feel alive?

SHE is nine, and she is into archery, so she doesn't have to be inte fights, only in the target shoot. You can be in the war as an archer, too, though, but there are gennerally events for the kids set up to teach some of the skills that one might need. Hence the ogre. They get to beat on him with a boffer sword. In the SCA, the weapons are treated in various ways so as not to injure beyond repair. The swords are made of these very thick rattan pieces that don't have an edge to them, but it hurts lika S O B to get hit with one anyhow.(Kind of like how you know when you're in karate or TKD or other martial arts, in training it's supposed to be non-contact", which is not at all non-contact, but you just don't go all fucking out and beat the tar out of a guy...but it still hurts if you get hit!) Hence the armour. There are very tight rules for how the weapons can look and how the armour must protect. There are loads of other reenactment groups that use live steel, but it's fun to play with the SCA becuase there are so many of us that there is always something going on, rather than just every three months. In Montreal (I think) there is a school that teaches live steel swordfighting.
As for Johan, I can't remember how tall he is exactly, but I do know that I fit under his chin with some to spare, and I'm 168 cms (I think that's like 5'5" appx.). The way I would describe him is "really fucking tall", and about as wide across the shoulders as a small barn door. And the best brother. Ever.

Tyra said : And the best brother. Ever.

awww isnt that cute :D, well i'd love to have him as an uncle!
does your daughter (sorry about remembering falsy that she was a he :p) listen to AA and headbang on it?

Ofcourse she does!!! Apparently Ozzy rules, though, and her five-year-old sister is in L_O_V_E with Metallica. Apple don't fall far from the tree around here.