My Norse Mythology book.

All this talk of mead and germanic/Australian crossovers is making me thirsty.

Maybe later this evening I'll raise my chalice in praise of Odin...

The fact that European Australians have only just arrived in relative terms means that there is a definte struggle for cultural identity. That's why we propagate myths such as 'the little battler' and 'true blue' Australians.

Like the great David Tacey says, we pride ourselves on the outback and our colonial ballads while huddling in megacities around the coastline. We're not a 'land of sweeping plans' but a land of clogging suburbs.

That's fine, but it sometimes gets annoying when the media and government attempt to make us something we're not!

I suppose that's why it took so long for reconcilliation with Aboriginals here in Australia (although that hasn't even worked properly). We just had no understanding of what the land meant for Aborigines, so when we took it from them we couldn't understand why they were so pissed off....

But, yeah, Norse mythology is cool.:lol:

Originally posted by Fleischwolf
@satori: well, we are all influenced in our perceptions of religion by the worldreligions. an ethnic religion doesn't want to convert you to it's faith! it's bot like christians went to africa and america and forced their faith on the natives!
of course i do not really believe that donnar cracks with his hammer when the thunder rolls. i know that the germanic people invented all those myths(just like the jews and christians invented the storys in the bible, even though there are some christians so stupid that they neglect the evolution theory and still believe that adam and eva really existed like the bible describes it)! but to believe in the germanic faith actually draws some strength to you, those myths are full of wisdom and i feel very much connected to it. it's hard to describe it if you don't feel it yourself. but it has a sence of belonging to these realms here. maybe it's because the germanics interpreted their religion in this way and they got influenced by their land surrounding them why one living here can relate to it! however most people here don't care about all that! they are just mindless tv-slaves and consumers!

I completely agree ;) Being a spiritualist nature-freak myself, I understand precisely the inexplicable "sensations" and preludes to "wisdom" that you are referring to.

I think that ANY religion, if perceived as inherently fictional and anological, can be a positive thing in the lives of people. It's only when people start believing the folklore as absolutely real and start putting the doctrine ahead of their own sense of reason that it becomes something potentially blinding and negative.

No one has ever acted like and irrational idiot in the name of a god which they realize is a work of fiction.

Satori

Originally posted by brightoffski
Hey Satori, your points are good but a little patronising and I actually presumed that everyone on this thread does not in fact take mythology (or 'ethnic religion') literally...which I think is quite reasonable. But hey.

I'm glad to see my efforts haven't gone to waste, hehe.

I'm sure everyone participating in this thread doesn't take mythology literally too, I just felt the need to point that out and clear the air in case some people skimming this may think otherwise. I'm glad everyone is fully aware, it's a shame more people in real life aren't as insightful as many of you here.

Satori

I think that feeling that intense connection with nature is the root of spirituality because that is where we came from, it's us. It's a shame that so many religions (ie. Judiasm and the christian-slanted spinoffs) do not feel that connection with nature, instead, they regard nature as something merely given to humanity for our exploitation. That's just fucked up and sad, people feeling disconnected from nature, as if they just appeared here from outside of it, placed here by some egocentric god freak for it's amusement. Sad.

One of my heros Alan Watts once remarked:
"You did not simply appear in this world from outside of it, you grew out of it, like a wave from the ocean - you are not a stranger here."

It's so cool that this idea, like a spiritual Darwinism, is present in so many ethic and native religions, and how sad it is that the larger organized religions bypassed this obvious wisdom in their rhetorical confusion.

Any religion that does not have it's roots in ecology (and reality itself) is intellectually childish and pulling people in completely the wrong direction. People NEED to feel connected with reality, that's the essence of spirituality, and our connection to nature is entirely apparent. It's a shame that so many of the larger religions cannot see or accept this obvious fact in their idiotic contention that humans are not born of this world. Could they be any more moronic or deluded? I don't think so.

Satori