My Norse Mythology book.

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
On the weekend I bought an amazing book on Norse Mythology. There was a sale on in the bookshop and I found a bargain with a book; it is about 100 pages and it's got heaps of fantastic illustrations...

Being into Black Metal, I especially love the religion that goes with it. This book is very thorough in the way it covers the entire concept of norse ideas.

Anyone else into Norse Mythology/religion?

The complete details are:

'Norse Mythology: The Myths and Legends of the Nordic Gods'.

Author: Arthur Cotterell.

ISBN:0 75480 584 0

Published: Lorenz Books, 2000.

This is the best book on the subject that I've seen so far. Not just to do with the subject matter, but the quality of paper used as well as the illustrations and layout.

And no, I don't work for the publisher or author!

Cooool!
And now that u guys mention it: Only a few days ago I thought
of refreshing my knowledge in norse mythology.. :)
This inspired me more ;)

i´m interested in the norse religion and all sorts of old norse myths.
i´m no expert on it, but i do know something.
i also like the old sagas.

Fleischwolf: so you follow the Ásatrú? to what extent? well, i´m guessing you don´t do all the fighting stuff, but what do i know :)

hm, don't know what you mean with fighting stuff! i'm not going out with my axe and burn churches and slay christians , if you mean that! but the viking era was the beginning of the end of the native germanic religion(well not REALLY the end as you can see), yet their faith was the norse religion. they fled their homes in norway, sweden and denmark because missionars from the south were allready trying to force christianity on them and kings in scandinavia were tryingto unite the villages and towns to kingdoms! of course the first thing onr assiociates today with Asatrú are vikings and of course the are an element in the history of this religion, but not all! remeber that the west-germanic tribes(todays english, dutch and german), were already christianized at this time, but once they had the same faith as their northern brothers. we are calling the allfather Wotan, while in scandinavia he's named Odin. even today you see this influence in "wednesday", Wodens(anglo saxon for Wotan) Day!

if you're refering to stav, the germanic martial art, i have to say that i don't have any skills of it, but would like to learn it.

i do follow Ásatrú as much as i respect nature, and have a special spiritual connection to it(specially of my country and to countries of similar cultural background) aswell as the old custums and myths. i celebrate the pagan hollydays. i read the germanic sagas a lot. i lead a healthy life and i despise most of todays plastic "culture" like mcdonalds or other "cultural enritchment" from the usa(sorry, no offence to the american guys, but you have to understand that the "american way" is not suitable for all the world). i do blóts, hopefully more regular in the future and celebrate summer/winter solstice.

since you live in iceland and Ásatrú is an officially recognized religion there you shoul have quite some knowledge about it! ;)

I am fascinated by Mythology. It was and always will be, an important facet of how we view our worlds.

i do follow Ásatrú as much as i respect nature, and have a special spiritual connection to it(specially of my country and to countries of similar cultural background) aswell as the old custums and myths.

I also feel a strong spiritual connection to the land and nature, something which seems to have shifted aspects of how I live my life. Even though we don't have a long cultural history and collective understanding of this land, it did impact quite severly on my childhood years, something I have only really realised and embraced recently...I fully respect what you are saying!

yeah, but i also meant the connection of the germanic religion which was practiced in this lands over thousend years ago! i couldn't have this feeling in australia, even if i was born there, simply because this land has a total different history, which has nothing to do with Ásatrú or other europeans faiths.
however, i can relate to your feelings about nature and recognize the great landscapes of australia!;)

Fleischwolf: well, yeah, my sister is legally registered as being ásatrúar, and once i went with her to a blót (although i was only 14 or 15 and all the people were drunk :lol: ). But, she doesn´t really belive in it, she only registered as one so the part of her taxes that went to religion wouldn´t go to the church.
and i know of some people who believe in Ásatrú and act as Vikings and all that stuff.
So, i was just curious how you "took" the religion to yourself. Because it seems to me people have many ways of "believing" in it.
yes, i knew of that days of the week thingie :)
i´ve never heard of stav, the germanic martial art.

yeah, so you don´t "believe" in Valhalla and all that stuff but more of a fascination of the old myths and follow the rituals? That sounds the most logical to me :)

Originally posted by Fleischwolf
yeah, but i also meant the connection of the germanic religion which was practiced in this lands over thousend years ago! i couldn't have this feeling in australia, even if i was born there, simply because this land has a total different history, which has nothing to do with Ásatrú or other europeans faiths.
however, i can relate to your feelings about nature and recognize the great landscapes of australia!;)

I wasn't very clear about why I replied. I respect the fact that the Germanic, Norse etc beliefs are quite dated as far as mankind goes! :)
I was simply drawing parallels between the way of life you were describing (that was related to Ásatrú) and the similar aspects of my way of life. (that was related to a juxtaposition ( that I didn't describe in any detail) of spiritual and physical life that really has no greater cultural basis) I certainly wouldn't expect Ásatrú to give you the same feeling if you were born in Australia. And yes, such long standing ancestral beliefs are quite non-existent in these parts.

I hope that makes it clearer, I was digressing a bit from the main topic, but I just love to hearing someone else describing a "healthy" life as you did. ;) Cheers.

Also as you imply, Australia is a young country as far as European settlement goes and I will add that the invaders are yet to gain a collective understanding of this land (requiem can talk about this! Go Tacey), which would be a big step towards a significant sacred cultural practice. I tend to regard mythologies and pagan (or similar) beliefs, if properly understood and respected, as a means to achieve an important (sacred) connection between thought and action within environment.

I think that any religion, if viewed as an anological tool instead of something that is literally true and must be adhered to, is positive because they can teach us interesting ways of viewing reality/humanity and provide valuable insight (must the same way as reading a fictional novel can provide insight). However, when a mythological religion is regarded as an absolute, if one mistakes the map of religion for the territory of reality/humanity, it has a tendency to cage the mind within it's stict confines and turns the thinker to an unwitting sheep to the doctrine, not good.

You must realize you are the one who controls your religion, your religion does not control you (which is not what religious leaders would have us believe.. but they are cunts). Religion is what you perceive it to be, a way of thinking/understand, you are not what religion perceives YOU to be, that's just innane.

Repeat after me: "religion is MY bitch, I am not religion's bitch."

hehe,

Satori

I love norse norse mythlogy...very interesting...i did numerous projects on in past year in school for english and art...my final piece was based on norse mythology. But i think greek mythology is a bit lame..

ok, some replies:mad:gleemonex: well, i know that there are some persons who believe that being Ásatrú is just to shout:"Hail Oðinn" and behave like vikings. that's not! in fact i hardly ever drink. i would drink mead on a blót, but i veeeery seldom get drunk. Ásatrú is a religion, closely realted to nature. in a way it's like the faith the american indians believe in: honour, respect for nature, spirituel connection to the forces of mother earth and dignity! i think it's great that Ásatrú is an offically religion in iceland, i think native religions should be recognized in all countries! i will pay a visit to iceland on day for sure, when i have the money to go there! mér finnst ísland flott! ;)

@brightofsky: i understand your feelings towards nature! even if your history in this land isn't very long (i don't know, maybe your an aboriginal;) ), you can still feel connected to it! there might be an Ásatrú organisation in australia (at least there is in america)! hail to you for respecting mother nature! ;)

@satori: well, we are all influenced in our perceptions of religion by the worldreligions. an ethnic religion doesn't want to convert you to it's faith! it's bot like christians went to africa and america and forced their faith on the natives!
of course i do not really believe that donnar cracks with his hammer when the thunder rolls. i know that the germanic people invented all those myths(just like the jews and christians invented the storys in the bible, even though there are some christians so stupid that they neglect the evolution theory and still believe that adam and eva really existed like the bible describes it)! but to believe in the germanic faith actually draws some strength to you, those myths are full of wisdom and i feel very much connected to it. it's hard to describe it if you don't feel it yourself. but it has a sence of belonging to these realms here. maybe it's because the germanics interpreted their religion in this way and they got influenced by their land surrounding them why one living here can relate to it! however most people here don't care about all that! they are just mindless tv-slaves and consumers!

hahahahahahahahahaha! :lol: :confused:

Don't worry Fleischwolf, I think you missed my point. I don't want to adopt a Germanic pagan religion! Either way I will give up. Good day and thanks for the kind words. :)
(I am not Aboriginal either)

Hey Satori, your points are good but a little patronising and I actually presumed that everyone on this thread does not in fact take mythology (or 'ethnic religion') literally...which I think is quite reasonable. But hey.