Not listening to metal anymore

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hi guys,

Do any of you realized they are not really listening to metal anymore ? Not that it's a bad thing, just stating the fact. I find myself that there is waaaaaay too many bad/boring/generic metal bands popping up and I don't find myself anymore in those. Also it is maybe because I have more or less discovered all there is to discover in the well known ones, seen them live, listened to their legendary CDs... Of course I might discover or re-discover some of them, but you see the point, it's not as fresh as it used to be to me.

Also I just cannot stand growls for the sake of growls anymore. I love it when it's very well done like in the obvious famous acts, but any average growler just flatten the music, even though he might be doing a very good job, it just doesn't do it for me anymore in itself.

Anyway, the last thing that touched my soul was the latest Katatonia. Did I miss very good albums this year, in a melodic / emotive / chill / epic / progressive fashion ?

I've noticed I'm listening to the same bands over and over and over again... Though I'm trying to make an active effort to find new interesting stuff...

I'm still listening to quite a lot of metal, but I agree on your observation of there being a flood of generic stuff. I try not to waste too much time with that, though, and focus on the music that's still innovative or at least new to me.
Since I'm still interested in the genre as such and where it may lead I make it a point to check out new bands, and sometimes stumble upon a gem that way. I still buy about 30 CDs per year, though I noticed that most of them don't offer that much replay value after the initial few days.
But then there's bands like Katatonia who you just can still rely on delivering the good stuff every time. Dead End Kings has quickly become my favourite release this year, and since it was released I had little incentive to listen to anything else. Love when that happens... :)
Apart from that I noticed that there are some bands/albums I've known for a long time that I can still listen to and they never get old. Usually just one or a few per metal subgenre - if I want to listen to death metal I mostly put on Decapitated, Testament for thrash, Katatonia for melancholic metal and so on.

So basically I listen to new stuff out of curiosity and to the old albums that happened to stand the test of time for me.

BTW, do you know Leprous? Because that was one of the very few bands I discovered lately (last year actually) that fall into the "good replay value" category due to sounding unique and fresh to me.

I still find new, fresh and interesting stuff, but you know, I think the older you get, the more and more demanding you are. And masterpieces aren't released everyday. The other fact is that nowadays there are many more bands than in the past, and many more releases. There are two ways to reduce Mozart to silence : to forbid people to listen to him, or to make such a noise around it is impossible to listen to a single note. To sum it up, the scene, today, is overcrowded, and it gets more difficult for the really talented bands to emerge.

Leprous, together with the last Protest the Hero album, have been a great surprise.

Go back and listen to the old bands (1980's). Lot's of great music.

Witchfinder general, PileDriver, Metal Church, Riot etc..

I agree. with most recent metal I basically just listen for the sound and production because the songs itself don't grab me as much as when I was younger.
however, I don't know the cause for that. is it because I'm not in my teens anymore or because most songs from most bands aren't up to par with the old stuff.

stopped listening to metal (especially new bands) almost completly 2-3 years ago.
If I listen to metal it's stuff like Devin Townsend, Opeth, Ihsahn, Morbid Angel or
Beyond Creation, besides that I am digging stuff like Leprous alot.
But most of the time, I just listen to soundtracks (from Star Wars to the Social
Network) or more relaxing stuff like Buena Vista Social Club, Tina Dico or Jamiroquai,
some classical stuff from time to time.

I started listening to metal at the age of 7 and especially 95% of the newer stuff
gets boring sooo quickly imho that I just can't stand it anymore, I just need music
to chill, relax and not for the brootz anymore.

At the same time, I really have the urge to listen to metal from time to time, no
clue why, but the funny thing is, if I visit a local concert I feel so strange, like not
fitting the enviroment that I won't visit a show for a few months.

Not at all, I'm still finding new bands to love nearly a decade after getting into metal. There's 30 years of music to go through before even starting on new bands, and the thing about new bands is they keep forming.

I'm still listening to quite a lot of metal, but I agree on your observation of there being a flood of generic stuff. I try not to waste too much time with that, though, and focus on the music that's still innovative or at least new to me.
Since I'm still interested in the genre as such and where it may lead I make it a point to check out new bands, and sometimes stumble upon a gem that way. I still buy about 30 CDs per year, though I noticed that most of them don't offer that much replay value after the initial few days.
But then there's bands like Katatonia who you just can still rely on delivering the good stuff every time. Dead End Kings has quickly become my favourite release this year, and since it was released I had little incentive to listen to anything else. Love when that happens... :)
Apart from that I noticed that there are some bands/albums I've known for a long time that I can still listen to and they never get old. Usually just one or a few per metal subgenre - if I want to listen to death metal I mostly put on Decapitated, Testament for thrash, Katatonia for melancholic metal and so on.

So basically I listen to new stuff out of curiosity and to the old albums that happened to stand the test of time for me.

BTW, do you know Leprous? Because that was one of the very few bands I discovered lately (last year actually) that fall into the "good replay value" category due to sounding unique and fresh to me.
Decapitated isn't death metal anymore...

Not at all, I'm still finding new bands to love nearly a decade after getting into metal. There's 30 years of music to go through before even starting on new bands, and the thing about new bands is they keep forming.

I only really expect/need to find two or three records per year that I really enjoy. Whether that's new or old music.

Also.... growling for the sake of growling??? as opposed to singing for the sake of singing?

I've been listening to metal for 20-some years, and interest waxes and wanes - that's only natural. Most of my new music purchases of the past 5 years have been bands that I've listened to for years. It's been a long time since I found something new that I really liked on store shelves. To be honest, I'm more prone to enjoy a certain amount of stuff on this forum than stuff that I can find in stores.

A lot of times when I get burned out on it, I start checking out music from my youth (or before) that, for whatever reason, never totally connected with me. Were it not that I was getting bored with whatever was "new", I'd have never gotten into UFO, Roth-era Scorpions, King Crimson, Focus, Yes, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, and a bunch of other music that's from before my time. For better or worse, if I never got burned out on "current" metal, my musical catalogue would be much smaller and my actual guitar style would probably be completely different (for better or worse).

I don't even listen to music anymore.

+1

I got my metal/rock dose from the bands that i work with. If i listen to music its quite the opposite of metal. I liked some of Michael Bublés album, Norah jones debut album was one which i listened to quite frequently when it was released.

I do like to listen to one or two metal songs occasionally but i feel it to be to tiring to the ears in the long run.