Not listening to metal anymore

I reread my post and while I'm still interested in the overall questions I brought up, I realized I never completely answered the OP's observation/question clearly.

I still listen to quite a bit of metal consisting of quite a bit of new metal - with the ease of access to at least a sampling of new music either through streaming services or as I mentioned Youtube and bands streaming new releases themselves, there is little reason not to at least give a listen. My problem is how much unmemorable stuff I wade through to get to a nugget of quality that really genuinely makes me want to part with my money and either buy the bands albums or go see them live if they happen to come to my region of the country or world for that matter.

It's pretty clear from other postings I've made that I'm older than many (younger than some apparently :) ) that I grew up during the formative years of what we now call heavy metal - through it's hard rock foundations through it's mind numbing shattering of sub-genres. Technology has given all levels of artists with varying levels of creativity and capability the ability to get music out to the listening public (as mentioned, I see both the good and the bad side of this), but rest assured there is no going back - that genie has left the bottle.

I do just wonder what bands from the last 5 maybe even 10 years will be remembered in the same way some of the founding/formative metal bands are and how many will see the same level of success and stability some 30 years down the road as some of these early metal bands still do even in this different technology world less driven by direct album sales and huge album marketing once afforded by that early filter I spoke of in my first post.

Trust me I get odd looks from some of my friends that used to be metal heads and have softened with age when I tell them what I'm still listening to but my feelings are - their loss, not mine. Sure my tastes have broadened somewhat but in reality I've always been a bit eclectic with music, but metal still does it for me - even if I have to break something a little bit older out to do it.

I do just wonder what bands from the last 5 maybe even 10 years will be remembered in the same way some of the founding/formative metal bands are and how many will see the same level of success and stability some 30 years down the road as some of these early metal bands still do even in this different technology world less driven by direct album sales and huge album marketing once afforded by that early filter I spoke of in my first post.

Great question, though it could use some grammar edits

I discovered Genesis like a year ago and gradually started to dislike metal as a whole. I now dislike the aesthetics, the over-production, and i absolutely hate people who call themselves metalheads.
Almost every band i used to like has let me down with their new releases, biggest example: New Gojira fucking sucks.

I hate mediocrity, it absolutely bothers me that bands seem to take their fans for granted. I hate when bands start repeating a formula o recycling old riffs for their new songs. And i also hate new bands that think that ripping off at the gates and adding a catchy chorus will make them succesful, there's no honor in being a rip-off.

-Bands that let me down with their new releases: Annihilator and the obvious DKFH, Arch Enemy and their wah-faggotry, Chimaira, Fear Factory, In Flames, Machine Head, Lamb of god, Megadeth, Sylosis, Symphony X, Trivium and Testament.

-Bands that keep me listening to metal: Mastodon, Exodus & Strapping Young Lad.

-Music that i listen to nowadays: Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Sting, TOTO, Earth wind and fire, Mastodon and Yasunori Mitsuda.

Long story short: I listen to less and less metal every day.

You young guys don't understand. 15 years ago it was literally inconceivable that you would hear double bass drums and heavy guitar on television. I cannot emphasize this enough. It still shocks me when I hear a clip of something heavy on TV. A band like Arch Enemy would probably draw about 60 people in SF in 1998. Metal has come a long way back, and it's stayed.

I completely agree, and definitely vividly remember feeling the same way at the time (a little later for me actually, as 2000 was when I absorbed Metallica's discography and started on the path), the 95-04 period was pretty much metal's hibernation time from the mainstream; I detest the majority of popular rock from those years, whereas before (and since) there's much more of a metal influence IMO

I discovered Genesis like a year ago and gradually started to dislike metal as a whole. I now dislike the aesthetics, the over-production, and i absolutely hate people who call themselves metalheads.
Almost every band i used to like has let me down with their new releases, biggest example: New Gojira fucking sucks.

I hate mediocrity, it absolutely bothers me that bands seem to take their fans for granted. I hate when bands start repeating a formula o recycling old riffs for their new songs. And i also hate new bands that think that ripping off at the gates and adding a catchy chorus will make them succesful, there's no honor in being a rip-off.

-Bands that let me down with their new releases: Annihilator and the obvious DKFH, Arch Enemy and their wah-faggotry, Chimaira, Fear Factory, In Flames, Machine Head, Lamb of god, Megadeth, Sylosis, Symphony X, Trivium and Testament.

-Bands that keep me listening to metal: Mastodon, Exodus & Strapping Young Lad.

-Music that i listen to nowadays: Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Sting, TOTO, Earth wind and fire, Mastodon and Yasunori Mitsuda.

Long story short: I listen to less and less metal every day.

You realize you have Megadeth in your avatar.

Great question, though it could use some grammar edits
That's what I get for typing out long/quick responses while cooking dinner - worried about the steak burning on the grill and trying to my usual concise ;) and short to the point self.

City and Colour, Elliot Smith, Dredg, Iron and wine, Beatles. I guess theres a softer side inside of me that is trying to get out. Its funny though, because, 5 years ago, I would've hated myself for listening to this.

I am very picky when it comes to Metal now a days, If its a new band I'm listening to, it has to have soundscape, some atmospheric vibe, otherwise its garbage to me. Also, it can't have djent breakdowns throughout the song, that shit is old for me. Even blast beats aren't doing it for me anymore.

As I age I find myself listening to more and more pussy shit. I guess I'm just not that angry kid anymore, oh well.

I hardly listen to other music as well. I teach guitar/bass/drums/piano 7 days a week and have for the last 3 years and I like silence most of my free time. Most recent new artists I have discovered is Justice the french disco dance group, Shpongle the pystrance group, Puscifer which is Maynard from Tool's side project and Cloudkicker only for his album Beacons.

My favorite music are from bands who mix it up or have a cool vibe. I get bore very fast, ever since I heard mr.bunlge back in 91, other bands can't hold my attention. But there are lots of good bands that use metal that don't sound like all these other bands that have just flooded the market with the same old crap.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6w2xg0LZnY&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3-Ef3rpieo&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTg-_EKmL8&feature=relmfu[/ame]

just to name a few

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm listening to the Beatles and loads of British 80's/90's guitar bands.

Can't beat the likes of the smiths, blur, oasis, ocean colour scene, stone roses, bluetones, libertines, charlatans, Jesus and Mary chain, ride, the jam/Paul weller, morrissey, radiohead, verve etc. some amazing guitarists in those bands too.

I listen to all sorts of music, but I still mostly listen to metal, and I don't see that changing :) I have my periods when I almost don't listen to music, but they never last. When I started engineering more and more I was afraid that I'd stop appreciating music in the same way as I used to, since so many people seem to have it that way. But it just hasn't happened, if anything it makes me appreciate the really good stuff even more.