Not Really News About HEX, But...

rgbeach

Feb 11, 2002
Chicago
www.hexology.com
Wanted to give everyone an update on what's been going on with me in the music department. (hopefully someone out there cares!)

First, several months ago I committed to record a 4-song demo for my Nephew's band, Self Fulfilled Prophecy (http://www.geocities.com/selffulfilledprophecy/). Well, after a long delay we have finally started this project. We started tracking a couple of weeks ago, spending 3 evenings recording drums, a long Friday night recording Joe's guitars (and watching Slayer's War at the Warfield DVD!), and a very long Saturday recording the second guitars, bass, and vocals. Since then, I've been in ProTools editing land, cleaning things up where necessary, and getting initial mixes completed. I'll begin editing/mixing the fourth and final song this evening. With luck - and lots of effort! - I'll be ready to master the demo this weekend, and SFP will begin their quest for world domination next week. For those would be home recording engineers, in case you want to get an estimate of the work involved with recording, editing, mixing, and mastering a 5-piece metal band, all in all I will have spent over 80 hours on this project. Man, I should have charged them for my time!

The second thing that is slowly coming more of a priority for me is writing and recording a guitar-oriented, all instrumental CD. I'm loosely planning for a 5-song release, including four original recordings and one cover (likely to be an interpretation of an Al DiMeola song). It's really important to me to keep this thing different from most guitar instrumental CDs, that have become so overdone in recent years. I'm just in the early writing stages, at the moment, but have been practicing hard and removing the rust that has built up on my playing over the months since the HEX release. I hope to begin tracking in August, and am targeting a September 2004 release.

Finally, what's up with HEX? Well, the biggest news is that Dan has relocated to London - at least for the next 12 months or so. This obviously puts any serious work on the next HEX release on hold. However, as you may have seen in a prior post, Dan and I did write a new song a few weeks ago (tentatively titled 'Demon'), so some progress has been made. My goal is to remotely collaborate with Dan and write two more new tunes. Once written, I will enlist some musician friends on drums and bass to properly record all three new songs. My very, very loose goal is to have this EP thingy release before the end of the year. As an added bonus, I will probably include some early Bob and Dan recordings so you can all hear us in our formative years.

Well, that's it for now.

Bob

Self Fulfilled Prophecy would like to thank Bob Beach for his producing of our four song demo. We owe Bob a lot for his time and effort. We realize you took time out of your extremely busy schedule to pruduce this, and we are eternally grateful for this. And if we should ever do this again, by all means charge us. Thank you Bob for recording us, and our quest for world domination begins.

For anybody who is even remotely interested, you can get a copy of the demo by emailing me at NapoleonVl@aol.com .

Hydraleader said:
Self Fulfilled Prophecy would like to thank Bob Beach for his producing of our four song demo. We owe Bob a lot for his time and effort. We realize you took time out of your extremely busy schedule to pruduce this, and we are eternally grateful for this. And if we should ever do this again, by all means charge us. Thank you Bob for recording us, and our quest for world domination begins.

For anybody who is even remotely interested, you can get a copy of the demo by emailing me at NapoleonVl@aol.com .

Thanks, Joe! It's been fun working on this thing. I look forward to doing more stuff for you guys.

BTW...I was joking about charging you ;)

Bob