Notable Releases to Come 2009 Edition

That Panda Bear solo album is pretty cool, but nowhere near as good as pitchfork and others say it is. But definitely better than most AC I've heard, including the new one.

I think they know what they're doing.

They don't though. That's the thing. Being on a major label this is forced on the mastering engineers and Flaming Lips are either unaware or can't do anything about it resulting in (for me) a string of unlistenable albums that's been going on now for a DECADE with this band. Unacceptable.

Well they seem to consider themselves masters of sound (enough so to put out something like Zaireeka) so I find it hard to believe that they would let "the label" fuck up their sound and a) not know about it and b) not bitch about it constantly in the press. And do you include The Soft Bulletin as one of those "unlistenable" albums? B/c if so, that's a big loss 4 U.

Their new one is definitely their most compressed release to date.

bitch0.gif

Once the album I'm listening to is over I'm going to smoke dope and listen to it and see if I hear what you guys are talking about. And maybe get an ice cream sandwich beforehand.

Hmmmm.... you know I always THOUGHT that The Stooges - "Raw Power" sounded super-super-loud.... Turns out it's the loudest album ever, "reaching RMS of -4 dB, rare even by today's standards." :lol:

One of my releases fell prey to the loudness war. The master was submitted 'loud' and the plant evened it out a little. With the exception of a few spots, it was mostly unnoticeable...except to the artist. He wanted it to peak out at times which, post press, it didn't.

Biggest offender the loudness war has seen yet.

have you

heard

tankard

"beast of bourbon"

even if you don't like the music, it's worth listening to just for educational purposes. i don't think it gets worse than this album, so since someone "won" the loudness war in 2002, can we please stop fighting it

Listened to Embryonic on headphones for the first time last night, and you fags are totally right. I had to listen to it at 2/3 the possible volume, otherwise it sounded like those old Walkmens when you put on the "bass boost." Terrible. I wouldn't be surprised if these record companies had some kind of deal with the manufacturers of those pussy ipod earbud headphones, where eventually music will be so loud that people will have to by new headphones once a month....

Me right? NEVER. By the way In Rainbows is way overmastered as well. Just listen to the amount of distortion in Bodysnatchers. WTF.

New Pelican is trash.

i like it a lot actually, but then again, i like everything they've released though I think Fire in Their THroats is their weakest. Australasia is classic all the way, with the self titled and City of Echoes behind it.

EDIT: it's weird to hear vocals from Pelican

sad_02_cd_cover.jpg

i had no idea Sad Legend had a new one out. i enjoy their debut and especially their EP, but not sure how relevant this music will be these days. i might grab it, though.