Notable releases to come 2014

A REALLY bad recent example is Drought by Deathspell Omega. One of the loudest, harshest and most unpleasant albums ever put to CD. It's a shame too, because the vinyl sounds perfect and the album itself is great.

Part the Second might qualify for a "universal appeal" RC album. I know that only a handful of us love that album, but really, it is fucking glorious in every possible sense.
This thread has become incredibly interesting (and as Zod said, informative.) I'm curious what (if any) examples of really well-produced/engineered albums you all could show put out in the last 5-10 years. I feel like I have a horrible grasp of these kinds of things.
Colour Haze, in particular Periscope (15 years old now, whatever). Dynamics up the god damn fuckin' WAZOO.

Ulver are quite good at this. I will go out on a limb and say that Messe I.X - VI.X is a required listen for all peoples of RC. Especially in terms of this particular discussion. Do it. Thank them.

I don't know. Maybe it is just the terminal musician in me (been doing that whole crap since I was 8), but dynamics are one of the absolute PINNACLES of transcendence of musical experience for me, so much so that the lack thereof is not not only disconcerting in the immediate, but downright god damn frightening in terms of the continual existence of our culture. We are doomed...

Alcohol has not exaggerated any of my feelings whatsoever this eve, I an assure ye of that. Oops. Yar. Etc.

All Graveland releases since Will Stronger Than Death have excellent mastering as well. Thunderbolts of the Gods is heaven to the ears. Book Burner by Pig Destroyer is another one that is mastered very well.

It's disheartening to really think about this stuff when you realize vinyl is so god damn expensive to ship internationally (even between Canada and the US), to the point that I find it really isn't viable. I've been getting rid of it where I can. 1x 12" is like $18 to ship to or from Canada. More like $20 if you want to make sure it doesn't arrive warped or cracked in half. I shipped a dude in the US my Walknut vinyl and it was $20, and that's with a Venture One card for discounts on expedited airmail.

So most cds are shit but convenient, and vinyl is skullfuckingly expensive and a bitch to deal with. Awesome!

All Graveland releases since Will Stronger Than Death have excellent mastering as well.
they may have that but they have other sonic issues that prevent at least me from enjoying them at all

those horribly programmed drums and mega-cheesy vocal synths, ugh

they may have that but they have other sonic issues that prevent at least me from enjoying them at all

those horribly programmed drums and mega-cheesy vocal synths, ugh

I love the drums but yeah the synths are pure cheese.

new Dornenreich and Lantlos May 2nd.

It's probably already in this thread, but TOO BAD.

primative folk compilation put together by the drudkh dude

Proving that there’s far more resonance to be gained from the folk/metal alliance than a knees-up and songs about beer, Drudkh mainman Roman Sayenko has gathered eight bands from across Europe, asked them to delve deep into their musical heritage, reinterpret it for a compilation album that gives voice to the timeless and unifying nature of traditional music.

Released on May 23 (May 27 in North America) via Season Of Mist Records, One And All, Together, For Home features the likes of the UK’s Winterfylleth, Ireland’s Primordial, Norway’s Kampfar and Ukraine’s Drudkh themselves as you’ve never heard them before.

Thanks to the elders of SOM Records, we have an exclusive preview as we reveal Primordial’s heart-stopping take on Liam Weldon’s folk classic Dark Horse On The Wind, transforming the raw, a cappella ode to the pain of Ireland’s civil war into a rich, drone-borne lament that will retune your brainwaves into a boundless alpha state.

Delve into the song below and prepare for time and your heart to dissolve…

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/exclusive-new-primordial-track-as-youve-never-heard-them-before/

Ogre-The-Last-Neanderthal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The band will release a new mini-album titled 'Concrescence Of The Sophia' on June 24th via 20 Buck Spin in North America. The European release will be handled by Osmose Productions.

The release consists of two tracks Concrescence Of The Sophia (21:42) and Silence Of The Passed (8:57) totaling just over 30 minutes of completely new music from the Gods of Extreme Doom. The vinyl release for North America will be the band's first domestically available vinyl pressing and will come on black vinyl and two additional color variants. The CD version will be a digipak. A t-shirt design based on the album artwork is also planned.

:headbang: