Novembers Doom - Pale Haunt Departure

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
What a slab of death/doom. I spun this again today after a few months break and I think I like it more now than ever.

From my review:

Now on to “Autumn Reflection”, and here is where I’ll lead into the crux of the review. First of all, there is no doubting the ANATHEMA vibe circa Alternative 4. The melody and even the vocals do sound influenced by Vincent Cavanagh, and that’s where I become slightly uncomfortable. For what it is, it sounds great but this is an example of how a great song just misses out from becoming a masterpiece. Let me explain: first of all, the first 4:32 minutes of this track begin to sound repetitive.

I DISAGREE with this completely now -- could be the best song on the album now. Funny that. Plus it might sound more like late day KATATONIA than it does ANATHEMA, but eh.

The rescue arrives in the shape of a magnificent riff and melody at the 4:33 mark. THIS IS MASTERFUL. Whoever wrote this piece should be commended. I only wish they could have introduced this piece sooner in the song, in between the verses to add something more ‘homegrown’, and then reprise it in full blown effect at the ending of the song.

I COMPLETELY stand by this. Wow, just 90 seconds of pure genius to end the song, and they really should have extended it out or just made an entire new song based around this composition.

Great, great album.

Actually, now that I think about it, ND could be the surprise band of the night at HEATHEN CRUSADE.

Just got the cd version of this at FYE of all places. The only reason I was even in there is because they were advertising a 3 cd's for $25 special. I figured "what the hell" and browsed, only to find ****gasp**** a metal section that did not contain just Limp Bizkit and Hardcore junk. My 3 cd haul:

November's Doom - the Pale Haunt Departure
Fireball Ministry - Their Rock is not our Rock
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery remastered re-issue with 5 bonus tracks

I don't really hear any Anathema on the album, and I agree about Autumn Reflection being one of the best tracks on the album, I'll admit that Paul's vocals can wear off on the listener after awhile, but I can't deny that he pours his emotions into every word, especially on that track and Swallowed By The Moon...

JayKeeley said:
Actually, now that I think about it, ND could be the surprise band of the night at HEATHEN CRUSADE.
Right now, it stacks up like this for me:

Primordial
Novembers Doom
Moonsorrow
Thyrfing

"The Pale Haunt Departure" was my intro to ND. My first thought was, they remind me of Opeth. That said:

"The Pale Haunt Departure" >>>>>>> "Ghost Reveries"

By the way, how come no mention of the disc's opening? It goes from atmospheric to pure Metal bliss. Those drums, followed by that riff? Fuuuucccckkkkkk!!!! The title track is easily one of the year's finest songs.

Zod

General Zod said:
"The Pale Haunt Departure" was my intro to ND. My first thought was, they remind me of Opeth.

Just don't mention that to them. :tickled: ("Don't mention zee war").

That said:

"The Pale Haunt Departure" >>>>>>> "Ghost Reveries"

Easily.

It's a top 10 disc, that much was confirmed when I listened to it again yesterday.

Damnation sucks, no debate for me. But I guess Blackwater Park and Ghost Rev could be in the same ballpark in terms of boring the shit out of me.

this album is on strike 2 for me.

that means i gave it a handful of listens when it came out, said meh. 6 months later did the same thing, said meh. maybe i'll toss it on right now.

Respect the badge - he earned it with his blood
Fear the gun - your sentence may be death
because ...

I AM THE LAW
And you won't fuck around no more - I AM THE LAW
I judge the rich, I judge the poor - I AM THE LAW
Commit a crime I'll lock the door - I AM THE LAW
Because in Mega-City ...
I AM THE LAW

NFL!
NIFFELKDRJNDSKNTIN!
NFL!
NIFIJFDTHKSTENT!
NFL!
NICE FUCKIN LIFE!

okay track one of Pale Haunt, i remember digging the first few tracks and then getting bored, but this first one is a pretty nice little fluffy monster and i think i will name him george.

BWP is one of my favorite albums. it's 100% responsible for getting me into heavy music...or whatever you want to call it. and i have Terrorizor to thank for getting me into BWP. everything else i listen to is because of you jerks (especially nick - who was thrown overboard, alas).