Novembers Doom time machine: 1996

NvmbrsDoom5

Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
Hey guys, an old friend and bandmate of mine, Dan, posted these pics on Facebook earlier today, thought I'd share them with everyone here. These pics are from circa 1996, from a Novembers Doom gig at the Thirsty Whale. I'll give a brief backstory for y'all.....

In 1995, there were two doom/death metal bands in the southside Chicago area, Novembers Doom and Dead Serenade. By this point, as you know, ND had released their debut cd "Amid It's Hallowed Mirth", with the core members being Paul Kuhr, guitarist Steve Nicholson, and female vocalist Cj Hejna. Dead Serenade had released two demos, and the core members were vocalist/guitarist Jerry Koziol, bassist Brian Whited, and me (Larry Roberts) on guitar. At this time, Jerry and Brian were also doing double-duty with ND on 2nd guitar and bass.
A tragic accident in mid-1995 resulted in the death of Jerry Koziol, ironically the day before we (Dead Serenade) were supposed to sign a record deal no less. Needless to say this put an end to the band, with members being in disagreement about whether to carry on or not. I wound up quitting music all together for a brief period of time, due to disillusionment and the loss of my close friend. Meanwhile, the other members of Dead Serenade (bassist Whited, drummer Emmet Hall, and 2nd guitarist Jason Armelius) were absorbed into the lineup of Novembers Doom. This is the lineup that lasted throughout 1995 and 1996, and is most closely associated with the "Her Tears Drop" 2-song sampler. In fact, the song "Seasons Of Frost" (which can now be found on the re-release of "Amid...") was co-written with Jerry Koziol shortly before he died.

Around 1997, this lineup ended, with only Paul and CJ remaining to restart the band again after a short hiatus, with new members Eric Burnley, Mary Bielich, and Abbas Jaffary, and I didn't join up with them finally until February 1999. Steve Nicholson is currently the guitarist in THESE ARE THEY. But that's another story for another thread.

Anyhow, picture and video evidence of this period is kinda rare so I thought I'd share it here, hopefully Dan doesn't mind my stealing his pics lol....

Look at this young guy! Paul Kuhr.

doom96-7.jpg

Guitarist Jason Armelius
doom96-6.jpg

Bassist Brian Whited
doom96-5.jpg

Drummer Emmet Hall
doom96-3.jpg

Guitarist Steve Nicholson
doom96-2.jpg

Female vocalist Cathy Jo Hejna
doom96-8.jpg

Steve, Paul, and Emmet
doom96-4.jpg

A shot from the crowd....you can't see me but I was in attendance at this show, actually.
doom96-1.jpg

very cool lary! Always cool to see how things have changed over the years. :) I have actually looked around a bit for some dead serenade demos but to no avail. Is that something you would ever be willing to share?

I've never seen these. This is rare. That was the best line up in the early days. 2 guitars and CJ. And of course, Chicago's rock/metal legend, The Thirsty Whale! With Gene and Judes!!!

Paul's wearing the ultra rare, International Metalfest shirt from Knoxville Tenn.

Great pics!!!!!

Even in those days you couldn't see Brian's face through all that hair!

Fotch's was a cool club from what I rememeber.
I remember there was one room with the bands, and the other with a ton of video games.

Fotch's was great, alot of fun, alot of GREAT bands played there, and the perfect place for an 18 year old metalhead like me to hang out and play at the time. The Whale was fun too, but a bit more of a headache (and more expensive!)

Farlo, I don't mind you posting that link at all, that's very cool that it's out there and people can hear it. The stuff on there is so primitive by todays standards, but the songs on that demo were written between 1991 and 1992, and we recorded it in early 1993, if memory serves correctly. One of these days I'd like to get the two DS demos properly remixed and stuff and release them, and maybe re-record some of the songs with special guests.

with it being recorded 17 years ago, its just awesome that someone is out there sharing it. it'd be cool as hell to me if people were sharing the stuff my friends and i have recently started working on, even a few years from now.

That ND show at the Whale was one of the last metal shows ever before they took the ole wrecking ball to the place. We played 2 sets that night, an all ages and a 21+.

If I remember correctly, we did a cover of the Dead Serenade song “Tears of Pain” in honor of Jerry’s passing during our second set that night.

I dug up a few old photos of ND’s official AAA team, taken during the only DS live performance in some po’dunk town in Ohio.

Larry

larry.jpg

Brian

brian.jpg

Jerry

jerry.jpg

Very cool to see those old photos Brian, thanks for posting them! I wish I had the chance to see that DS line up live.

We had some good times back then. It’s a shame that so very few had the opportunity to see Serenade perform, at least we all had the opportunity to jam together in the various incarnations of ND over the years.

Its cool seeing all the pics of the old lineups, I have some more from the TWTF and Pale Haunt era that I’ll post later this weekend, after I recovery from tonight’s show \m/

Cool to see those pics Brian, thanks for posting them. Really glad you came out to the show last night and we could have some laughs and a few drinks together (first alcoholic drinks together since 1996!)

Yeah I remember that you guys played "Tears Of Pain" at that ND Thirsty Whale show, I'm sure my sissy ass got all choked up about it hahaha. Nah really it was just cool to see/hear Jerry get his tribute, he would've dug it.

I'm gonna try to see if I can find more old DS and ND pics from back then, post 'em here.

novembersbrian!!!!
Long time no see on here.........

Are you still doing AVERNUS?

No, Avernus is dead and buried and the most recent members are all involved in new projects.

Vocalist/founding member Rick McCoy re-located to Colorado earlier this year in order to pursue a career opportunity as a therapist specializing in traumatic brain injuries and collectively
we agreed to dissolve the band.

Cool to see those pics Brian, thanks for posting them. Really glad you came out to the show last night and we could have some laughs and a few drinks together (first alcoholic drinks together since 1996!)

Yeah I remember that you guys played "Tears Of Pain" at that ND Thirsty Whale show, I'm sure my sissy ass got all choked up about it hahaha. Nah really it was just cool to see/hear Jerry get his tribute, he would've dug it.

I'm gonna try to see if I can find more old DS and ND pics from back then, post 'em here.

Yeah, I think that may have been one of the few times me and you have shared a drink, anyways I’m glad I was able to make it out to the show and catch up with you and Vito.

BTW,I thought you guys sounded great, hands down one of the tightest ND shows I’ve ever witnessed as a fan or as a member of the band.

Anybody whining about ND’s performance should be thankful they didn’t break out this set list:

ndsetlist2.jpg

Taken from ND's final set at the Whale.

Wow, that's awesome that you have that setlist! I forgot you guys played "Dwell The Dross of Hours" (or whatever it was called) at that show. Can't believe it was 14 years ago, christ we're getting old.