Novembers Doom

Where'd he go? Anyway...

Black Winter Day said:
monikaedv (sent YOU a pm calling you an asshole), burkhard, klaair (you started the thread that pissed them off)
I count that as one. :D I don't know why she sent me the PM anyway. Perhaps because I'm the moderator. Or that I published PJ's review. :heh:

november's doom
That was just weird, how the hat thing outweighed everything else. :loco:

When!? :confused:

hell, I'M the one getting in flame wars everywhere i go! :Spin:
Then don't go anywhere. Or at least stay away from the land of Bodom. ;)

I guess i'll poke in here, and drop my 2 cents. First off, we know we're not going to please every single metal fan out there with our music. We do this for ourselves and if anyone likes it, then it's a bonus for us. We'll never be swayed by reviewers, or peoples comments. If you want to hear something different, pick up a different band, because we will continue to do what we like. I'm not the type to get mad, or angry when someone doesn't like what we do. I do however take offense to personal attacks, and meaningless provoking. (Not that this has happened here at all!) The "Influence" topic comes up with us quite often, and that however gets under my skin. For the record, this band has been doing the SAME style of music since 1989, BEFORE bands like MDB, Anathema, and Opeth were in the scene. The unfortunate thing is we have not had the luck that some other bands may have due to poor business decisions on our part, and being from the US doesn't help either. So, while bands like MDB have added us in the thanks lists since Turn Loose the Swans, we still get the "worship" comments, and never the respect we deserve as being one of the first in this genre. Believe it or not, the main song writer in the band through Sculptured Ivy and The Knowing, never listened to bands like that. his influence came from Trip Hop, and black metal. If a band plays a style that resembles another "popular" band, they automatically get pegged as a clone, a rip off, greatly influenced, or "worship". Bullshit. We even tell people directly where we get our influences from, and they still insist on drawing the same conclusions. It amazes me how often we're compared to Anathema, MDB, Opeth, Moonspell, and Katatonia and NONE OF THOSE BANDS SOUND ANYTHING ALIKE! It's LAZY journalism. Bottom line, we are our own band, doing the same style since the same time, if not before all of the mentioned bands, and we STILL get the lack of respect from some people. I'm too old for garbage like this, and there are MUCH more important things in my life to worry about then this, but I felt I needed to speak my mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed the live show. We will be back, and we will make believers out of all of you. haha! :)

:guh:

okay, man, we believe you!!!! ;)
for the record, i don't usually give a shit who a band is influenced by, who they sound like, etc. it's all superfluous to the music itself. and to be fair, i don't think anyone here suggested that you guys are ripoffs of any sort! hell, most people here adore your music! why get defensive over a few harmless comments when there is an overall feeling of adoration for your band on this board and in this thread? :confused:

but then again, i'm not a serious musician and can't pretend to know how you feel, even in the most (seemingly) inane circumstances. anyway, as far as the people who don't give you enough respect... FUCK EM! you do what you do and people are bound to notice. and if not... well, that's their loss. :)

Black Winter Day said:
:guh:

okay, man, we believe you!!!! ;)
for the record, i don't usually give a shit who a band is influenced by, who they sound like, etc. it's all superfluous to the music itself. and to be fair, i don't think anyone here suggested that you guys are ripoffs of any sort! hell, most people here adore your music! why get defensive over a few harmless comments when there is an overall feeling of adoration for your band on this board and in this thread? :confused:

but then again, i'm not a serious musician and can't pretend to know how you feel, even in the most (seemingly) inane circumstances. anyway, as far as the people who don't give you enough respect... FUCK EM! you do what you do and people are bound to notice. and if not... well, that's their loss. :)

Honestly, this wasn't directed at any of you here. It was just a rant I tend to go off on from time to time. Trust me, I have much respect for anyone who would spend their hard earned cash on my band. The music tends to get a bit personal with me, and we (Novembers Doom) seem to be constantly defending ourselves in interviews and what not, so this is sort of a defensive reaction in general, even if it was not ment to "defend" anything here. Also, we do have the "Fuck em" attitude. It's the reason we're still doing this after 15 years.

METAL.

Howdy again all....actually to answer your question Jay, someone told me that this thread existed so I searched for it and the rest is history. I didn't take great offense to the whole thing and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I do get tired of catching alot of flak from people about the hat, because like I said before, I wear it because I like it and have done so for years, and Im not the only guy in the metal scene to wear it either, so I just never really understand why anyone even pays it much notice when I wear it. Plus I just wanted to make it clear to people that we DONT all wear them onstage and look like Tesla, because that would be very misleading LOL If you think my hat-n-hair look is old school cheesy, well thats cool because its all just a matter of personal taste. I understand where you're coming from because for example, I can't believe there are still bands coming out wearing corpsepaint, or bands who actually go onstage in wrinkly old band t-shirts! But thats just my opinion. Again, to each their own.

As for that whole influence thing, I am well aware that most people would not know or realise where our influences are truly coming from, and when I saw you guys speculating as to where our influence came from, I just wanted to make it known. We have caught shit in the past from people who don't realise that we have roots that actually do go back further than just the underground music that's come out in the past ten years. I wasn't saying that anyone here was calling us rip-offs or anything. If Paul and myself come across as defensive, I apologise for that. We just like to make things clear when we are given the rare chance of doing so. So many people don't realise that we've been making records for as long or longer than alot of these bands that people claim we are copying. Saying we bear similiarities to certain bands is cool, and often times, a compliment!
In any case, I did get the sarcastic joking nature of your posts, and I'm sorry if you took my reply as being more defensive and angry than it was intended. I guess I just have a habit of wanting things having to do with myself and my band to be as clear and understood as possible.
And to people like Dark Chapter, I completely respect what you said about us not being your cup of tea. The fact that you will admit to not liking us but at the same time not bashing us for it is very cool. If more people took that attitude, the scene wouldn't be quite as aggravating as it sometimes gets.

The bottom line of what I was trying to say initially in my earlier post is, hopefully people will give our music a fair chance and not hold it against us if they don't like the way I look or dress, and hope that people will listen to us open-mindedly and not assume that we are just copying bands that we have similarities to. We're not so vain or anything that we want or expect everyone to like what we do, just that people will give it a try.

Anyhow guys, thanks for discussing this shit with us in a mature manner. Good luck on the whole getting Steve Harris to come around! If he shows up, tell him I said to put "Murders In The Rue Morgue" back in the goddamn set!

P.S. I am of partial "limey" descent as well. My mother's side of the family lives down south in Torquay. Hopefully the band will make it over the Atlantic sometime soon so I can see everyone!

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Plus I just wanted to make it clear to people that we DONT all wear them onstage and look like Tesla, because that would be very misleading LOL If you think my hat-n-hair look is old school cheesy, well thats cool because its all just a matter of personal taste.
Heh, yeah I admit that the original, "Dude, they all wear them on stage and sit on bar stools like Tesla", was me being ridiculous. Forgetting sometimes that the RC forum is not a private little corner of UM, I should have been more sensitive to the fact that people 'from the outside world' could misconstrue what I said. Let alone the band themselves. :loco: My apologies bro', but I'm glad you knew I was joking. :cool:

I understand where you're coming from because for example, I can't believe there are still bands coming out wearing corpsepaint, or bands who actually go onstage in wrinkly old band t-shirts! But thats just my opinion. Again, to each their own.
Yeah, metal isn't actually a world of trendy fashionable people I guess. I'm old enough to remember when metal was considered 'popular' so it's funny that I still see people in drainpipe jeans, denim jackets smothered in band badges, bullet belts, etc but that's cool because there's an allegiance amongst metal fans where you can pretty much wear whatever you like and nobody will laugh at you for it. Well, not much anyway. :)

As for that whole influence thing, I am well aware that most people would not know or realise where our influences are truly coming from, and when I saw you guys speculating as to where our influence came from, I just wanted to make it known. We have caught shit in the past from people who don't realise that we have roots that actually do go back further than just the underground music that's come out in the past ten years. I wasn't saying that anyone here was calling us rip-offs or anything.
I'm glad you make your influences clear. Of course, to people who don't yet know Novembers Doom, it's a lot more natural to compare you to other more 'commercially succesful bands, as opposed to listing your actual influences, which are perhaps a little more discrete (e.g. trip hop and black metal).

However, I'm prepared to do one better and offer you an interview where you can set the record straight for our readers. We have a review in the works for To Welcome the Fade, I'll do The Knowing, and perhaps we can tie in an interview with the band? It could be a cool mini-feature. How does that sound?

We're not so vain or anything that we want or expect everyone to like what we do, just that people will give it a try.
I was blown away the first time I heard TK. Seems like Chief B wants to tell the world about TWTF, and he's adamant about doing a good review. We'd like to support you as much as we can. There's little other reason as to why Royal Carnage exists other than to support the artists. And perhaps get the leftover groupies at shows. :tickled:

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
And to people like Dark Chapter, I completely respect what you said about us not being your cup of tea. The fact that you will admit to not liking us but at the same time not bashing us for it is very cool. If more people took that attitude, the scene wouldn't be quite as aggravating as it sometimes gets.

Thanks for Noticing Me...

It's November. I like Doom. Therefore, it is time for me to give these dudes another chance.

I have Pale Haunt Departure and it never did much for me. What should I try instead?

I enjoy bumping threads without reading them first, my answer could be here already.