Novembre - Dreams d'Azure

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Novembre - Dreams d'Azure
Century Media, 2002

560_1.jpg

The Roman band's latest album Dreams d'Azure is actually a re-recorded version of their first album. The original version Wish I Could Dream It Again had been sold-out for a long while. They also changed the title not to confuse their fans who own the original version because it's not a simple re-released album. Two former members Thomas Negrini and Antonia Poletti also took part in the re-recording. It certainly gives a plus to the album.

The first time I've heard about Novembre was on the occasion of their promotional split cd with Borknagar. After a little research I found out that the band was formed in 1990 when the Orlando brothers moved to Rome from Sicily and and gave birth to their first band named Catacomb. Since then Novembre released four albums and this makes me wonder. How could it happen they didn't get bigger attention when bands like Anathema, Katatonia and Opeth has so many fans around the world.
Many times they were descirbed as a melodic death metal band and though in their music there are faster, tempod passages where we can feel their death and black metal influences, I wouldn't call them melodic death nor melodic black metal band. They also have gothic and dark influences, progressive passages and some classical inspirations too but none of these styles are predominant. What's more, some of their songs are even have a rock feeling. The sound of acoustical guitars and piano are also have their place in the music.
Dreams d'Azure is a dynamic and varied arranged album. Slower parts interlaced with soft, light vocals are followed by faster music and shrieking vocals or in reverse. Every song has its own little world and while we are listening to them different visions get pictured in our mind. Well, this kind of music makes us poetical and even such songtitles like 'The Dream Of The Old Boats' and 'Old Lighthous Tale' help in that. Especially while 'Sirens In Filth' was on it felt like stading on a lonely shore under the heavy clouds covered sky where Carmelo's voice touched us from the distance.

What really caught me in their dark, atmospheric, timeless music is that they hasn't become too melancholical, it's not depressing at all. They rather dwelled on the dark beauty of this music.

Tracklist:
1. The Dream Of The Old Boats
2. Novembre
3. Nottetempo
4. Let Me Hate
5. Sirens In Filth
6. Swim Seagull In The Sky
7. The Music
8. Marea (Part 1, 2, 3)
9. Old Lighthouse Tale
10. The White Eyed
11. Neanderthal Sands
12. Christal

Playing time: 69:50

Novembre Official Homepage
Century Media Records

That's the 'The Old Lighthouse Tale' by the way. I don't know what a tighthouse is and I don't think I want to find out. :lol: Lighthouses, seagulls, and old boats...ahhh, ocean-friendly music.

I think they did a great job with Dreams D'Azur. I have all their albums and the music from Wish I Could Dream It Again is just as outstanding, sometimes as much as Classica (my personal favorite) but the vocals needed work. It made it hard to appreciate at times. I say Carmelo did a righteous job this time and I'm very pleased the songs of their past were not forgotten.

There's an inspiring feeling that comes with the music of Novembre. It feels like a place that I'd wish to be but haven't found. But for some reason, by playing this music, it makes me feel like I'm getting closer.

:D