Now Playing

Counting Crows - This Desert Life.

anyone know how to get around Windows saying "this content is protected you can't listen to it?" Fuckin OS, I own the albums and don't want to rip them again but it claims I have no rights to them, probably having to do with my hard drive crash + OS reinstall.

anyone know how to get around Windows saying "this content is protected you can't listen to it?" Fuckin OS, I own the albums and don't want to rip them again but it claims I have no rights to them, probably having to do with my hard drive crash + OS reinstall.

Unfortunately, it's probably quicker to re rip them... I can't think of any audio codec player that skips the DRM, all the things I've seen just play the file and record the audio output. That's a 1:1 time operation, compared to ripping a cd which can happen much faster.

I can only suggest next time avoiding WMP(I assume you're using WMP by what you've said), and say getting a program that rips to ogg vorbis, or even just high VBR mp3's. Ogg Vorbis is considered the equal of the lastest versions of WMA, so you're not losing quality if that's a concern.

I use itunes these days (ripping to vbr mp3's for my ipod) on windows, but I used a program called CDex previously for CD ripping, and I'd still recommend it now.

I'm listening to some random music being piped over the office speakers...

yeah it's because of your fresh OS install. if you must rip with WMP again in the future, turn off the protection:

Tools > Options > Copy Music > Copy Protect Music

yeah it's because of your fresh OS install. if you must rip with WMP again in the future, turn off the protection:

Tools > Options > Copy Music > Copy Protect Music
i used something else. windows just decided to try and copy protect some of the more popular crap I have. Idiotic machine. Oh well, it still works if I listen with VLC