Now Reading...

Elantris and Warbreaker.

I just finished Elantris and I have to say that it is my least favorite Sanderson novel. It was good, just not as good as the other 3 (plus 2 WoT books) that I've read.

I'd rank the books I've read this way:

Mistborn: The Final Empire
(the 2 WoT books)
The Way of Kings
Warbreaker
Elantris

Elantris and Warbreaker.

I recommend reading Mistborn before writing him off. It is the first of his I read, and it is pretty darn good.

As for what I've been reading. Just about finished with my random Pratchett book:

103275238.jpg

After reading "Going Postal" before this, it kinda pales in comparison. William de Worde just isn't much of a character.

Also finally made it through this:

103090971.jpg

Really, trying to read a reference book straight through can get pretty old after a while.

Started Hunger Games. It's going okay so far. I'm just about to start the actual 'games'. The writing is okay, and the story thus far has been fairly simple, but it has an enjoyable quality similar to the movies of this genre (at least the genre the book is within thus far).

I just finished Elantris and I have to say that it is my least favorite Sanderson novel. It was good, just not as good as the other 3 (plus 2 WoT books) that I've read.

I'd rank the books I've read this way:

Mistborn: The Final Empire
(the 2 WoT books)
The Way of Kings
Warbreaker
Elantris

Way of Kings was amazing. I'm still eagerly awaiting the next book in the series.

Anyone heard anything about Stephen King's "The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel" coming out next month?

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/wind_through_the_keyhole/announcement/

I'm interested, although I'm still pissed at King for the direction the DT series took after the first 4 books. I hate to shell out any more $$ on this series, so will maybe wait a couple of years for a library copy to become available or see if I can snag a copy through bookcrossing.com!

Just finished Jill Conner Browne's "American Thighs" and now reading Elizabeth Gilbert's "Committed" on my Kindle.

I've gone digital. I'd rather having a phsyical collection of CDs as opposed to having two physical collections. Only using the Kindle Cloud Reader as I don't want to pay $79 for a Kindle and would also be using the NookForPC if they allowed their manga collection to be on the NookForPC apps - they're good for the Nook, just not the apps for whatever reason. Also signed up for Audible.com now that Amazon owns the website for the 40min drives home at night and the trail.

First three digital purchases:
The Hunger Games (Kindle $5.99 & Audible.. free credit)
Sherlock Homes Volume 1 & 2 (Kindle $2.99)
Wheel of Time Book 1 (Audible free credit)

Not a bad alternative as opposed to using that to get snacks for the weekend.

You know, you probably could have found those stories for free.

Some good sites for you to browse:

www.mobileread.com: Best site for everything eBooks. Forums for different platforms, news, deals, recommendations and free eBooks as well.
www.baenbooks.com: Best eBook publisher, period. Reasonably priced SF books and no DRM.
www.feedbooks.com: Another good source for PD books, tho now they have a store where they sell books.
www.calibre-ebook.com: Must-have software for those who like their books DRM-free and convertable to other formats.

On that note, I'll post what I'm reading now:

9780061373305.jpg

A cheapie that I bought from Amazon last year. Not bad so far.

My current pBook:

16600.jpg

Trying to read Gardens Of The Moon again. This is one of those books that I start to read, seem to get bogged down in the story, and then put the book down long enough to forget what's happening, so I have to start it over. It does seem to be clicking more with me this time, so we'll see if I can finally finish it!

dt

I've gone digital. I'd rather having a phsyical collection of CDs as opposed to having two physical collections. Only using the Kindle Cloud Reader as I don't want to pay $79 for a Kindle and would also be using the NookForPC if they allowed their manga collection to be on the NookForPC apps - they're good for the Nook, just not the apps for whatever reason. Also signed up for Audible.com now that Amazon owns the website for the 40min drives home at night and the trail.

First three digital purchases:
The Hunger Games (Kindle $5.99 & Audible.. free credit)
Wheel of Time Book 1 (Audible free credit)

Not a bad alternative as opposed to using that to get snacks for the weekend.

In terms of portability and ease on the eyes, the $79 you spend on the basic Kindle is well worth it.

ringworld.jpg

-- a classic I've never gotten around to reading.

There's a used bookstore in Virginia Beach that has about sixty feet of just sci-fi and fantasy, most of it from the 70s and 80s - the proprietor actually went in and sorted out all the paranormal smut into its own section, too. Awesome.

I actually wanted to bring up the Dark Tower series... Is it just me, or does this suck? Over the many years of people telling me to read it, I have tried twice, unsuccessfully both times, to get through the first book. In general, I like King. A few of his books are long time favorites, and some have been rough to get through. This the first one I've simply not been able to make it through. Thoughts on the series?

I actually wanted to bring up the Dark Tower series... Is it just me, or does this suck? Over the many years of people telling me to read it, I have tried twice, unsuccessfully both times, to get through the first book.

Ten years ago, I would have told you to keep slogging to get through the first book, as the rest of the series was brilliant. But it took a crappy turn starting with "Wolves of the Calla".

My opinion now? Don't waste your time.

I actually wanted to bring up the Dark Tower series... Is it just me, or does this suck? Over the many years of people telling me to read it, I have tried twice, unsuccessfully both times, to get through the first book. In general, I like King. A few of his books are long time favorites, and some have been rough to get through. This the first one I've simply not been able to make it through. Thoughts on the series?

I struggled through the first one too, and wasn't crazy about the ending, but I'm a big fan of the series as a whole. Books 2-4 in particular are among King's best works. He issued a revised version of The Gunslinger a few years ago that is much easier to get into. If you're willing to give it another shot, that may be the way to go. By book two you'll be glad you did.

Started Hunger Games. It's going okay so far. I'm just about to start the actual 'games'. The writing is okay, and the story thus far has been fairly simple, but it has an enjoyable quality similar to the movies of this genre (at least the genre the book is within thus far).

anyone going to see the hunger games movie?