Now Reading...

I'm reading Stephen King's 11/22/63. I was afraid it was going to be The Dead Zone, part 2, but it is actually completely different. I am enjoying it a lot.

I actually wanted to bring up the Dark Tower series... Is it just me, or does this suck? Over the many years of people telling me to read it, I have tried twice, unsuccessfully both times, to get through the first book. In general, I like King. A few of his books are long time favorites, and some have been rough to get through. This the first one I've simply not been able to make it through. Thoughts on the series?

I haven't read the series myself, but based upon what I read from Amazon.com,many say the first book is the hardest to get into because King is laying a foundation, but they say to keep on reading because it gets better and better, and I know that the Dark Tower series is highly regarded by many as a classic and one of the best series out there.......

Catching+Fire.jpg

I haven't read the series myself, but based upon what I read from Amazon.com,many say the first book is the hardest to get into because King is laying a foundation, but they say to keep on reading because it gets better and better, and I know that the Dark Tower series is highly regarded by many as a classic and one of the best series out there.......

From my own personal experience, I didn't have a problem with the first two books, but I struggled through the third, only really getting into it at the end when the payoff finally happens. I still haven't been able to get through Wizard and Glass.

Just quit halfway through:
514cJYxO9tL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-67,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This sequel to the very good Santa Olivia is poorly-written and pointless, and feels like she wrote it simply to assuage the chants of "Sequel! Sequel!" from the fans. HINT: If you intend a book to be a one-off, and you don't really want to write a sequel to it, then don't do it. I can't even bring myself to finish it. Carey's work has always been hit-or-miss for me, but these days it's more "miss" than "hit".

Just started reading these, simultaneously:
518XISF0OoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-66,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
41K7%2B1SA70L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-61,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Adam Carolla is one of my favorite people to watch on TV/listen to podcasts, but his book is not well-written (much like this sentence). I'll stick with it a while longer though, because it's funny. What I've read so far of the Rothfuss is spectacular.

Don't get me wrong, I loved The Dead Zone. I just was afraid he was going to rehash it.

I finished the book last week and did get a Dead Zone vibe, but not from the whole assassination angle. Something about the main character, particularly during his romance, felt a lot like the Johnny Smith character from Dead Zone. Good book though. King is hit and miss these days, but this one counts as a hit i think.

Nnedi Okorafor - Who Fears Death

I've heard good things about this book from a number of people, including some fairly high profile folks, and then I found a trade paperback on a remaindered cart for three bucks. Okay!