Now Reading...

Just finished:

618BhCXV%2BPL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And am now working on:

51eb1jgWw3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-72,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Barbed-Wire Kiss by Wallace Stroby...The Sopranos meets Springsteen in this Asbury Park crime novel.

Okay, I started this this weekend. About half way through already. Mostly good so far.

I thought the main series ended extremely weakly. It really pissed me off after god-knows how many hours spent reading the dozen books up to Chainfire, so I haven't read either of the ones after that. How does this one compare to the rest of the series?

I will preface by saying that I liked the last three books, if only because the series was dying for me after the first few, and the middle felt like a slough to get through. So I was okay with the last three books basically making the whole middle part moot. After reading Law of 9's, I didn't even try his last one about Richard and Kahalan. Just couldn't do it.

But with First Confessor, he's keeping it fairly simple. It's mostly about the creation of the Confessor and about the Rahl Oath. Its mildly a mystery novel, focused on Magda trying to "find the truth". So far it has kept my interest. Had one good action scene. I'm still curious to read on to see where he's going with all this...and that's with the obvious leading up to Wizard's First Rule eventually. There's a lot of space in between that he COULD fill in. We shall see!

I'm still amazed how quickly Seanan McGuire has become a successful author (Mira Grant is one of her pen names). I met her before she got published, when she was "just" a talented filker.

It is just too bad that the subject matter for most of her books aren't to my tastes. I'm not big on Zombies.

I'm still amazed how quickly Seanan McGuire has become a successful author (Mira Grant is one of her pen names). I met her before she got published, when she was "just" a talented filker.

It is just too bad that the subject matter for most of her books aren't to my tastes. I'm not big on Zombies.

You'd be surprised at how little the series is actually about zombies. It's much more focused on biology/epidemiology and the way politics and media interact in a very changed America.

Just finished What the Night Knows by Koontz. Not a huge fan of his stuff but it's decent for listening to on the commute to work in the morning. This was definetely not his worst, had a neat "Fallen" aspect to it.

Pariah by Bob Fingerman -- depressing and fun all at the same time. Great take on the zombie apocalypse. Mucho thanks to Rakosh for the hook-up...sorry it took so long to break this one out...

Lots of great reading suggestions but this thread leaves me feeling like an uber-dork as I pick up "On the Origins of War and the Preservation of Peace" by Donald Kagan.