Now Reading...

I just finished listening to/reading the latest book from one of my favorite authors, Peter Clines, called "14". One of the more bizarre things i have read lately. Imagine a combination of Lovecraft, Heinlein, and a Scooby Doo episode. Yeah, I couldn't either. Highest recommendations for this one!

I just finished listening to/reading the latest book from one of my favorite authors, Peter Clines, called "14". One of the more bizarre things i have read lately. Imagine a combination of Lovecraft, Heinlein, and a Scooby Doo episode. Yeah, I couldn't either. Highest recommendations for this one!

can you give us a synopsis??

Normal guy moves in to an apartment in LA and begins to notice a lot of very strange things. Each apartment is different in size and layout when all should be the same. No power lines coming into the apartment building from anywhere. Apartment 14 padlocked with 4 separate locks on the outside of the door and decides to investigate along with certain occupants of the apartment building. Gets to be a real strange nail-biter after that.

Normal guy moves in to an apartment in LA and begins to notice a lot of very strange things. Each apartment is different in size and layout when all should be the same. No power lines coming into the apartment building from anywhere. Apartment 14 padlocked with 4 separate locks on the outside of the door and decides to investigate along with certain occupants of the apartment building. Gets to be a real strange nail-biter after that.

sounds awesome

It's a fantastic book. All of Clines's novels are great.

Just a heads up for kindle owners, there are a few great titles on sale right now.

American Gods [ame]http://www.amazon.com/American-Gods-Anniversary-Edition-ebook/dp/B004TTHLBE/ref=br_lf_m_1000706171_1_6_img?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&pf_rd_p=1401461002&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000706171&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=166KRA9V5R799C9MGASZ[/ame]

Heart Shaped Box [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Shaped-Box-ebook/dp/B004O0UTVM/ref=br_lf_m_1000706171_1_18_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&pf_rd_p=1401461002&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000706171&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=166KRA9V5R799C9MGASZ[/ame]

The Fall (The Strain book 2) [ame]http://www.amazon.com/The-Fall-Strain-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B003VIWNKI/ref=br_lf_m_1000706171_1_17_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&pf_rd_p=1401461002&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000706171&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04MZ1K7Z4WB457BJ27X8[/ame]

The Dreadful Lemon Sky by John D. MacDonald (Travis Mcgee #16)...a truly excellent series!

this-green-hell.jpg

Finished Brent Week's "Blinding Knife". Awesome book. The first book in the series, Black Prism is on sale for kindle for $1.99. If you like big fantasy at all, you need to give this a try!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Prism-Lightbringer-ebook/dp/B003JTHY76/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1349276730&sr=1-1&keywords=black+prism[/ame]

In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton -- about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis...(anyone remember that scene in Jaws?)...

Some crazy, scary stuff...

Just finished J.K. Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy" -- wish I would have saved the $25 I paid for a hardback and waited for a library copy!

I knew it would be a departure from the HP series, but the book had none of Rowling's usual charm, humor, fast pacing, and colorful characters. (Well, the characters were still colorful, but *none* of them were likeable). It was almost like she was so determined to show that she's an "adult" writer now that she had a whole litany of stuff to she felt she needed to work into the book. Swearing? Check. Heroin use? Check. Domestic violence? Check. (And the list goes on...)

Just finished J.K. Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy" -- wish I would have saved the $25 I paid for a hardback and waited for a library copy!

I knew it would be a departure from the HP series, but the book had none of Rowling's usual charm, humor, fast pacing, and colorful characters. (Well, the characters were still colorful, but *none* of them were likeable). It was almost like she was so determined to show that she's an "adult" writer now that she had a whole litany of stuff to she felt she needed to work into the book. Swearing? Check. Heroin use? Check. Domestic violence? Check. (And the list goes on...)

That's too bad. I was cautiously optimistic, but wasn't willing to pay the high early price to see how it was. I'm sure I'll give it a go at some point.

It's funny that you mention this. I heard about the book and read the reviews on Amazon and they pretty much echo what you said here. It only got 3 out of 5 stars.

hhhmmm...characters that are not likable, swearing, heroin use, domestic violence...
...sounds like it could be sort of awesome if you totally push out of your mind the fact that it's the same author as the harry potter books...
i'll but it when it's in cheap paperback

hhhmmm...characters that are not likable, swearing, heroin use, domestic violence...
...sounds like it could be sort of awesome if you totally push out of your mind the fact that it's the same author as the harry potter books...
i'll but it when it's in cheap paperback

But even with all of this stuff, the book is still fairly slow and plodding. I only kept reading because I was *sure* it was going to get better. Kind of like the old joke about the optimistic child digging through a gift box filled with manure, thinking, "there MUST be a pony in here somewhere..."

It's funny that you mention this. I heard about the book and read the reviews on Amazon and they pretty much echo what you said here. It only got 3 out of 5 stars.

Yep, and it's interesting how divided the reviews are. The average is around 3, but there are actually *very* few ratings of 2-4.

Wow...probably don't read as much non-fiction as I should. Most tend to be either true-crime or music-related. Glenn's reco of The Lost City Of Z some time ago was a very enjoyable and memorable read. I recently finished In Harm's Way by Doug Stanton, and it was a 2-night nightmare inducing book. You couldn't possibly make that shit up, people it would tell you it was too unbelievable and extreme. It's unimaginable what those men went through. Highly recommended! Be warned, it will make you laugh, make you cry, gross you out, and piss you off.

Just finished -- A Cold Day In Paradise by Steve Hamilton (Alex McKnight #1), a good start to a series.

Currently Reading -- No Sanctuary by Richard Laymon, which will cleanse the palate as effectively as a tablespoon of Drano before I tackle anything more rich and tasty.

I was hoping Glenn or anyone else would elaborate more about the Michael J. Sullivan fantasy trilogy that Glenn referenced beginning on page 100. Thoughts on that?

Also looking for feedback on The Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence.

I've been a fantasy burn-out for the past few years and looking to get back into a fairly rich series...but not so rich that I wander completely confused half the time (Malazan-syndrome), so I haven't tackled anything new lately...would gladly welcome some recommendations.

Thanks in advance!...and Rock On!