Now Reading...

I'll probably start Adrian Phoenix's "Rush of Wings" soon. The cover art makes it look like everything else on the vampire front these days, but it's been getting really good reviews.

...lek gave me the 3 volume set of philip pullman's 'his dark materials' for christmas...i am about half-way through 'the golden compass'...cool story...i just can't figure out when it takes place...the past, present, future....(i haven't seen the movie so please don't tell me anything about it...unless you know when it takes place)...

thedelicateflower: His Dark Materials trilogy is set in a parallel universe.

Now reading Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley.

This is the same author who wrote The Hero and the Crown, which is an excellent novel, and been around for quite some years. Definitely worth the read, if you've never read it before.

I just finished On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony, and now starting Bearing an Hourglass...both awesome and fun books...even better when on your iPod!! :loco:

Anyone seen/used that new [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/]Kindle device[/ame] that Amazon is hawking, basically a dedicated handheld electronic book reader? It looks kinda neet, and has wide area broadband connectivity (uses wireless broadband), but it's still hella expensive.

I really liked Ghost Rider... let us know how it compares, assuming you've read GR. :)

Shaye

i read 40 pages at Barnes and Noble...i figured i should just buy the damn thing.
so far it's really captivating. Neil is a great observer, and he remembers place names and motel names with ease. I found that funny.
100 pages in, i really dig it...

Anyone seen/used that new Kindle device that Amazon is hawking, basically a dedicated handheld electronic book reader? It looks kinda neet, and has wide area broadband connectivity (uses wireless broadband), but it's still hella expensive.

yeah i know what you're talking about...still can't beat having a great story told TO YOU, instead of having to read it though. I'm not a huge fan of physically reading, but love story time! HAHAHA!

Trying to finish H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness, but compared to his other short stories I've read, this novella is just not keeping my attention. Ugh. And I want to get through it so I can go on to vol. 2 of the Lovecraft collections I have.

Day Watch, by Sergei Lukyanenko.

In cases where a movie adaptation is made from a book, I rarely ever read the book AND see the movie; I usually do one or the other. I've seen Night Watch and Day Watch, and I'm about a third of the way through the book Day Watch... and I'm amazed at how different the movies are from the books, even though both are amazing.

The Night Watch movie is based solely on the events of the first few chapters of the book (with some details borrowed from the second book as well), and the Day Watch movie appears to be vaguely based on the last few chapters of Night Watch. It's got me very interested to see where they go in the third movie (Twilight Watch/Dusk Watch), whether they go to the Day Watch book or the Twilight Watch book.

My husband loves these; I can't stand them. he also likes reading on his super-phone thingy (whatever it is). I don't want to read on a screen, or listen--I want to curl up with a book and hold it in my hands. I just don't think I will ever really change in that regard. *shrug*

Shaye

Ditto. Reading from a screen hurts my eyes after about five minutes of straight reading. I'd much rather curl up in my recliner with a hot cup of tea and a good book.

My husband loves these; I can't stand them. he also likes reading on his super-phone thingy (whatever it is). I don't want to read on a screen, or listen--I want to curl up with a book and hold it in my hands. I just don't think I will ever really change in that regard. *shrug*

Shaye

Ya know, I'm kinda the same as you. But for me, it's because I like to *have* the books I've read, just like I like to *have* the CDs I've purchased. However, I got an eBook reader for my Blackberry Pearl, which has a pretty small screen. I've read one book on it, and I'm working on the second. It's great because you can read a book whenever you have a small amount of downtime, but don't have a book with you. When I read that last book, I sometimes read if for a couple of hours (it was a good book). It never bothered me to read it on a screen. The only problem I have with it is I have to keep moving the little trackball very slightly to keep the screensaver from kicking in. I don't read the pages quite quick enough. Of course, if I move it too much, it jumps to the next or previous page, but that's a minor inconvenience. I don't like reading books on the PC though.

Trying to finish H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness

Have you seen this?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1118070/

I'm re-reading Terry Brooks' The Elfstones of Shannara. I'll read his Genesis of Shannara series after the third book comes out, and I wanted to remind myself how Elfstones went. I like it a lot more upon second reading than I liked Sword of Shannara when I reread it a year or two ago, ugh.

I'm also biting the bullet to finish Goodkind's Sword of Truth series, I got Phantom from the library and it's my "read while on the treadmill and stairmaster" book.

Ken

Just received these books and will read them this weekend or at least one of them.

Time Camera - Terrence Lee
The Venetian Betrayal - Steve Berry
The Last Templar - Raymond Khoury