Now Reading...

Now reading: Phillip Pullman, The Subtle Knife

Last finished: ibid, The Golden Compass (excellent, and of course majorly different and mostly better than the film)

hey, I just got to use 'ibid.' That kinda rules. :lol:

For want of something short and quick to read, I reread an old favorite that's long out of print - "Virgins," by Caryl Rivers. If you have any experience with Catholicism (I grew up in a predominantly Catholic town, although I obviously am not religious myself), it's *hysterical*. I need to find myself a newer copy one day, because this one's falling apart - it was severely used when I bought it, and it's not weathered the last ten years very well.

Last finished: ibid, The Golden Compass (excellent, and of course majorly different and mostly better than the film)

I devoured the whole series as soon as I got my hands on the books after seeing the movie. Most excellent, indeed.

George R. R. Martin - Dreamsongs Volume I
This is a chronological collection of short stories. I really like the parts where he talks about his life and how/when the stories came about.

George R. R. Martin - Dreamsongs Volume I
This is a chronological collection of short stories. I really like the parts where he talks about his life and how/when the stories came about.

Yeah, yeah. If he keeps slumming around and not writing that last book (last books?) in the Song of Fire and Ice series....... There. Will. Be. Trouble. :lol:

^I've personally given up on ever seeing more than one more book in that series. I think he doesn't care any more, based on the fact on how long it's taken him to complete a book that was supposedly at least half-finished when the fourth volume came out.

dt

George can take as long as he wants to finish them imo. He's an amazing writer and he needs time. He's not a fluff writer who can put out 10 books a year.

Meteor: He cares a lot. Its just that he's very busy. And he finds it hard to write when busy. He needs to be away from people and all that to write. Meaning when he goes to a con, and stays in a hotel, he isn't going to get much writing done. However, he is regularly working on the chapters. He updates on the status fairly often in his 'not a blog' section. I think he cares so much, that he doesn't want to mess it up. He wants to do the best job he can.

And he'll definitely finish as he will need enough material out there to cover all the years the mini-series will go on ;)

I'm starting to get a little impatient/frustrated with GRRM myself. If the next book is as bad as the last one (which wasn't BAD bad, but not up to the standards I expected), after all the time he's been taking to write it, I'll be seriously disappointed.

But I'm accustomed to him taking several years per book, and it's not like I don't have a million other books to hold my attention in the meantime.

I wonder how much I'll read once I move, though... part of my ability to read so much here in Baltimore is that I take public transportation everywhere, including to work, so I have at LEAST an hour to an hour and a half every working day to do nothing but read. Where I'm moving is about 1.3 miles from work - which is totally walkable, which means I'm not going to get nearly as much reading done.

Right in the middle of the Hunters Blade trilogy by RA Salvatore....

Bear

Action packed from start to finish! Love Salvatore's large battle and individual combat narratives.

Just started The Darkness That Came Before by R. Scott Bakker.

hey, I just got to use 'ibid.' That kinda rules. :lol:

...i am almost finished with 'the golden compass'...great story...though some parts make me :cry: (haven't seen the movie)...then off to read the rest of the trilogy...

where i work now, the t.v. in the break-room always has sports on...so i am sure i will finished many a book....

I'm starting to get a little impatient/frustrated with GRRM myself. If the next book is as bad as the last one (which wasn't BAD bad, but not up to the standards I expected), after all the time he's been taking to write it, I'll be seriously disappointed.

That's why you should move on to Steven Erikson! :lol:

Gardens_of_the_Moon.jpg
Deadhouse_Gates.jpg
Memories_of_Ice.jpg

Action packed from start to finish! Love Salvatore's large battle and individual combat narratives.

Just started The Darkness That Came Before by R. Scott Bakker.

I think that The Lone Drow, which I just finished today was one of the best he has ever done, besides the incomparable Dark Elf Trilogy....Awesome, they should make a freaking Trilogy movie out of his stories...

Bear

I think that The Lone Drow, which I just finished today was one of the best he has ever done, besides the incomparable Dark Elf Trilogy....Awesome, they should make a freaking Trilogy movie out of his stories...

Bear

I doubt a mere trilogy would do them justice.

I read that series. I really liked it. It's gritty and has a pretty good story. However, the end is a bit weak.

Thanks. I'll look forward to that.

Just finished Phillip Pullman's The Subtle Knife and thought that, if anything, it was better than The Golden Compass.
(However, I was a bit crushed at the end when two major and likeable characters get vaped. Argh....)

I'll be starting The Amber Spyglass in a few minutes. :kickass:

I just finished Steven King's "Lisey's Story", and am currently plowing through Dean Koontz's "Brother Odd"

I know, I'm a fan of watered down suspense novels. Shoot me.