Now Reading...

I've read/will continue reading the Fire and Ice series as well. I had read them all up to the last one and then when the last one came out I went back and re-read them all before reading it. Now it will be a long time again before the NEXT book, but I can't possibly go read them all again! I really like the series though, and will def. read the next book which is supposed to be out late this year. It amazes me that someone can come up with so much detail and keep track of it all through multiple books :OMG:

I'm in a George RR Martin phase right now...I'm currently on A Feast For Crows...so far this series has been amazing, and A Storm Of Swords is perhaps the best book I've read...up there with a couple of the Dark Tower books, and The Stand.

For something a bit different than my usual, just finished In An Instant by Lee & Bob Woodruff. Shortly after Bob Woodruff took over ABC News for Dan Rather, he was injured in Iraq. The book is sort of their life story together, focusing on the accident and recovery. It's a very good, real-life story of a family surviving a tragedy.

NR: Mercedes Lackey, Magic's Price

I'm re-reading this trilogy after a looong time away.

For personal reasons I will never buy a new book from her again. This is a used copy I picked up at the mighty McKay's in Chattanooga. :kickass:

I love her novels. And that account makes me very, very sad to hear. Unfortunately, I just finished The Phoenix Unchained written by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory, and I am rabidly awaiting the second book, because I HAVE to know what happened. So altruistically I'd like to join you in the Lackey boycott, but selfishly, I just can't do it.

I can only hope that she and her husband have mellowed out since then.

@KaptainKrude: I was going to start the book earlier tonight, and then I got a phone call. So I guess I'll have to start tomorrow.

I also recently ordered Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman. DEFINITELY looking forward to reading that.

Started reading Anansi Boys.

Already I don't like Fat Charlie or Spider. One has no spine and the other is arrogant, self-centered and thoughtless. Two extremes that I abhor. Should make for an interesting read.

While I haven't heard that particular DragonCon story, I've never heard anything good about Mercedes Lackey... I won't buy anything from her or Anne Rice just based on their behavior.

What did you think of the first book?

Not bad. The only glaring problem I've had with the storyline is Esmi. She follows Achamain to the Holy War to "urgently" warn him, but hangs out with someone else for weeks before going to him? Then when he fails to notice her she simply walks away? No, "Don't ignore me asshole! This is urgent! I came all this way to warn you!" No, "What did I do Akka? Why are you ignoring me?" She just walks away without a word? Whatever.

I realize she probably had to go away to play some other significant role, but that was a lame way to do it. Otherwise things seem plausible to this point.

I just finished up with a little piece of literature called SCHWA, written by Bill Barker.
I don't know really how to describe this book other than that it had very few words, very simplistic black and white drawings of aliens, stick-figure people, ships, churches, factories and dollar-signs (and plenty of schwas, of course), and for some reason it absolutely facinated and terrified me simultaniously.
Very bizarre social commentary of sorts; more entertaining that I would've guessed by looking at it.
I would recommend this book to pretty much anyone, although I don't think it would suit most peoples' fancy...but if you go check it out, no fair coming back to tell me that you think I'm nuts. :err:

FYI: A schwa is an unstressed, vaguely pronounced vowel sound, like the "a" in "ago" or the "i" in "pencil" and is represented as an upside-down lowercase "e."
Random focal point for a book, yes...yet in some inexplicable way, it made sense...sort of. :rolleyes:

Next up for me is whatever Forensics For Dummies they decide to throw at me next for my impending new job...

Don't think, just read. Seriously. Excellent book. Might get off to a bit of a slow start... but if you like Gaiman to begin with, when the story hooks you, it will be difficult to put down.

+1

I read Stardust when it first came out (proud owner of an autographed 1st ed. of it too!!) and I highly recommend anything he's written... Good Omens, written with another author who's name escapes me is just plain freakin brilliant...

And I also own the almost complete collection of Sandman comics by Gaiman - once I found out he was going to kill off Morpheus, I couldn't bare to read on so my copies stop at about #66 but I do have #72... That is by far some of my favorite reading EVER... Hellraiser was a good comic too (the movie Constantine was based on that comic)

I'm currently reading Cerealian Sins (Anita Blake series - still in my re-read of the series!!) and I started reading Dante's Divine Comedy again... I was so freakin' blown away by it I instantly began reading it again...

JenniferLynn: Good Omens was written with Terry Pratchett. That book should be on its way to me as I type.

In the end I did like Anansi Boys. Character development for the win! The ending made me smile.

Thanks Orb!!!! I've got a copy of it around here somewhere and can't seem to find it... It's probably in one of my boxes of books ;)

Spag - my mom is currently reading Duma Key and she says it's easily becoming one of her favorites of his (both of our all time fave King book being IT)

Question - has anyone here read the 3 Dean Kootz books with the character, Odd Thomas?? If not, GET THEM... I tried to read a Kootz book before and got totally turned off by a previous book, but my mom pusshed the first book 'Odd Thomas' on me so I read it - in a week... The other two books are Forever Odd and Brother Odd - both as good, if not a little better than the first...

MEGA HUGE recommend...

That's cool to hear. My favorite of his books is also IT, so sounds like I may really like it. Now I have to power through my current. I wish I had more time to read.

I'm reading 'The Confessor' the last book of the Sword of Truth series. I'm a little over halfway through it. And its just now picking up. The first half's writing style bothers me. I feel like he was forcing so much of his writing that it just didn't flow well. Maybe it was constant re-edits, or constant stop and starts. Not sure. But usually he writes very well (even if you don't care for the story).

I hope to enjoy the rest of it. Because it started to get very good.

Zig Zag- Jose Carlos Somoza

From Publishers Weekly:

Somoza (The Art of Murder) combines elements of SF, horror and suspense in an ingenious novel with an original intellectual premise that delivers a megaton of action and adventure. In 2015, Madrid physics teacher Elisa Robledo receives a phone call that plunges her back 10 years to a time when she worked with famous Spanish physicist David Blanes. Blanes theorizes that by using quantum physics and string theory he can build a machine that will enable researchers to see the past. Elisa joins Blanes and a small team of scientists on New Nelson, a mysterious island where they realize all of Blanes's theories. After intriguing glimpses of dinosaurs and Jerusalem during Jesus' lifetime, the project begins to go seriously awry. People die, the lab explodes and in the end everyone is taken away and ordered never to speak to each other again. Then things get really bad. While not quite up to Michael Crichton standard, this page-turner is sure to please thrillers fans. (Apr.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.