Now Reading...

I recently finished the first book I can recall in, heck, forever?!

Gordon Ramsay's "Playing With Fire" (UK only).

I'm a Gordon fanboy. Great book if you like him and/or are interested in how he built his business up.

Me, too. The introduction of Will, the windows to other universes and the knife itself reallllly amped up the story a lot.

It's an excellent series all around.

Though I should probably re-read it, because while I was watching The Golden Compass I couldn't remember much of anything from the book. Mind you, I was in junior high when the first book came out, and I was much annoyed that it took Pullman so long to finish the series. :lol: So it's been awhile.

Question - has anyone here read the 3 Dean Kootz books with the character, Odd Thomas?? If not, GET THEM... I tried to read a Kootz book before and got totally turned off by a previous book, but my mom pusshed the first book 'Odd Thomas' on me so I read it - in a week... The other two books are Forever Odd and Brother Odd - both as good, if not a little better than the first...

MEGA HUGE recommend...

I'm curious...are each of the books self-contained stories, or is this a series? I’ve sworn off starting any new “series” books with cliffhanger endings, as I tend to obsess WAY too much about how the story will end.

I'm curious...are each of the books self-contained stories, or is this a series? I’ve sworn off starting any new “series” books with cliffhanger endings, as I tend to obsess WAY too much about how the story will end.

completely self contained stories... if you only want to read one of them you can... No major cliffhangers :)

completely self contained stories... if you only want to read one of them you can... No major cliffhangers :)

Thanks! I'm getting ready to head out for vacation and might have to grab one of these. I read "Watchers" years ago and really enjoyed it, but haven't picked up any other Koontz books in ages.

Now Reading: Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Blood Games

--And it'll be great having her as a guest at Dragon*Con this year, too. :kickass: (Not yet posted on the website, I think.)

We actually have some decent SF/fantasy/horror writers coming this year. (!)

Now reading simultaneously:

Darwin's Black Box (borrowed from my girlfriend. Neither one of us buy the argument but it's still interesting)
The Invisible Man, 1st edition hardcover.
Gravity's Rainbow

If you haven't already read it, I very strongly recommend the guy in my sig, Gene Wolfe. Just read a couple reviews or his wikipedia page. Incredibly impressive writer.

...finished 'the subtle knife'...............i hate when i get too attached to characters in a story...........they always wind up breaking your heart....:erk:

now on to 'the amber spyglass'....(last of the trilogy)......

I just got started on "Duma Key." Slow start, I still haven't figured out where its going...

Next up is probably "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke. Anyone?

my recommendations for the bored:

BEST: Gene Wolfe - The Book of the New Sun/Long Sun/Short Sun (in 2/2/3 parts)
SHORTEST/BIGGEST MINDF*CK: Gene Wolfe - The Fifth Head of Cerberus
MOST ACCESSIBLE: China Mieville - Perdido Street Station
LONGEST: George RR Martin - A Song Of Ice & Fire (in 4 parts thus far, of 7)
MOST HISTORICALLY ACCURATE: Gene Wolfe - Latro (In 3 parts)

Haven't read any of His Dark Materials, but after seeing the film The Golden Compass, I'm interested.

Reading Mage of London by Mercedes Lackey.

Of course, after reading Paul's accounts of dealing with her, I now feel guilty whenever I purchase one of her books. Definitely having a clash between the Id and the Superego right about now.

Reading Mage of London by Mercedes Lackey.

Of course, after reading Paul's accounts of dealing with her, I now feel guilty whenever I purchase one of her books. Definitely having a clash between the Id and the Superego right about now.

Hell, if you like her stuff, don't feel guilty about supporting her or buying her books!

I just wandered away when it seemed like EVERY book she was writing
a) involved birds in some way, shape or form, often in the title
b) was co-written with at least one, sometimes two other people, and
c) had so many italics and Creeping Capitalization, it drove me batty.

I didn't notice some of the dreaded CCs had crept into her stuff as early as the Last Herald-Mage series...until I re-read it recently. Blargh.

As expected, my reading has slowed down substantially since I moved here. I would normally have plowed through four or five books by now, but I only *just* finished rereading Golden Fool and have Fool's Fate in my bag. I haven't quite finished the first Dresden Files book either, which is by my bedside.

I'm going to place an Amazon order shortly to replace several books in paperback - I gave the first three (rather well-thumbed) Kushiel books to a friend who hadn't read them and needed to, and also several hardbacks that I bought only because I didn't want to wait another year to read the story, but didn't want to keep in that format. It was one or two fewer boxes to move, at least.

I'd buy them from the Books-A-Million next door to my store, but the pickings are very slim there; they're missing a lot of major authors, and what they do have, is often only pieces of trilogies and series.

Do I have any room on the bookshelves for them? NO. I suspect another paperback cull is in order, because there isn't really room for another bookshelf, either...