Now Reading...

Boy's Life was one of the good ones. Gone South was pretty interesting, too. Mine was unique. Have you read Speaks the Nightbird? Interesting period piece, but some of the dialogue was pretty hackneyed. Talk about a LOOOONG set of books.

No, so far Boys' Life is the only McCammon I've read (sorry, Kirk!)...although I picked up Swan Song sometime along the way and it's here....somewhere....

Silent Coup: The Removal of a President by Len Colodny and Robert Gettlin. It is supposedly an account of all of the things that led to Nixon being impeached. It claims that his impeachment amounted to a coup without violence that was perpetrated by his staff, Congress, and the press (Bob Woodward in particular).

This isn't the type of thing I normally read, but I've had this book sitting around for years. My uncle gave it to me after he had read it. Since I'm trying to minimize my spending right now, I figured I'd read something I already have. We'll see how good it is.

I always liked McCammon better than King and other more famous writers of the genre. Night Boat, They Thirst, Stinger, Swan Song, The Wolf's Hour, and Mine were all pretty good.

McCammon rules - or used to, at least. I always recommend that folks read everything up to and including Boys Life, then just stop while you're ahead. Great stuff.

Another book that reminded me a bit of Boys Life (strange goings-on intermingled with male preteen nostalgia) is Mystery, by Peter Straub.

Ken

McCammon rules - or used to, at least. I always recommend that folks read everything up to and including Boys Life, then just stop while you're ahead. Great stuff.

Another book that reminded me a bit of Boys Life (strange goings-on intermingled with male preteen nostalgia) is Mystery, by Peter Straub.

Ken

Might not have been a coincidence he got dropped not too long after Boy's Life... EDIT: not dropped, but the editors wanted to do a number on "Speaks the Nightbird" and he refused, thus going into self-induced exile for over ten years.

I always liked Straub, even if he's a bit too clever for his own good sometimes. I'm more of a mystery/thriller guy myself and can only handle the supernatural horror stuff if it's believable, if that makes any sense.

Just finished Swan Song today and at least he knows how to finish an epic, unlike a certain Mr. King...

Currently reading Bret Hart's autobiography - My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling... I'm not an autobiography person, but damn what a great book... I grew up watching wrestling and for anyone that did - this book is one HELL of an eye opener of what these guys go thru, a little more of what the business it about, triumphs n' tragedies.... and I still have 200 more pages to read...

The great thing is, there's no "filter" (i.e. McMahon editing) on this so you really get it all... Great great stuff!!!

I'm also reading LK Hamilton's Blood Noir - but it's on hold while I finish the other.... (can't put it down for nothin'!!)

Currently reading Bret Hart's autobiography - My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling...

I read this a few weeks ago. I did enjoy the non-censored writing that could have made good works from current guys (i.e. Jericho & Foley) even so much better. One thing that I did come away with from the book is that Hart is pretty much responsible for every good thing that has happened in wrestling in the past 20 years. :puke: I respect the man, but damn is he quite high on himself.

If you want to read some other excellent non-biased works, I'd suggest a few other old school reads (such as Funk!).

I read this a few weeks ago. I did enjoy the non-censored writing that could have made good works from current guys (i.e. Jericho & Foley) even so much better. One thing that I did come away with from the book is that Hart is pretty much responsible for every good thing that has happened in wrestling in the past 20 years. :puke: I respect the man, but damn is he quite high on himself.

If you want to read some other excellent non-biased works, I'd suggest a few other old school reads (such as Funk!).

I agree with that assesment...

I loved Jericho's book and all of the Metal related coments...

One thing that I did come away with from the book is that Hart is pretty much responsible for every good thing that has happened in wrestling in the past 20 years.

Considering the history behind Center Stage, I think an excellent addition to the Showcase for PP X would be a wrestling match, perhaps featuring an out-of-retirement Bret Hart or even Ric Flair. With Iron Mike Sharp as the special guest referee.

Ken

Considering the history behind Center Stage, I think an excellent addition to the Showcase for PP X would be a wrestling match, perhaps featuring an out-of-retirement Bret Hart or even Ric Flair. With Iron Mike Sharp as the special guest referee.

Ken

Iron Sheik as referee. He lives around here, as do some other wrestlers.

Finished reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman while on the honeymoon. I originally started it on the plane to PPIX but hadn't picked it up since. Started reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson again after that. Which I believe I started reading on the plane trip to PPVII..... Or maybe it was the plane trip to North Carolina for work sometime in 2007. Oh well. Basically I get most of my reading done on planes and/or vacation and I don't fly often or take many long vacations.

I enjoyed American Gods though it took a little while to get used to Gaiman's writing style. His dialogue is great but sometimes the way he describes things comes off as almost brusque.

I'm really liking Elantris. It's one of those books that you want to keep reading to find out what is going on. Which was also kind of the way American Gods was but the characters and writing style are more enjoyable so far.

Iron Sheik as referee. He lives around here, as do some other wrestlers.

Yep, he lives in/near Fayetteville.

I know this, because by totally-weird chance, me and Ripper damn near ran him over in the parking lot at the F'Ville Kroger. Accidentally, of course. :lol: (He was calmly pushing his loaded grocery cart out toward the lot....which is a pretty weird sight to see.)

oops, on topic:
currently-reading: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Acheron, 10% done, great so far.....

I'm working my way through the first book of Amber now... I'm enjoying it, but I find it takes a few chapters to retool my brain for sixties fantasy/sci-fi, because it's so very different in style than the more contemporary fantasy that kicked in around the mid to late 80s.

I'm also working on Stephen King's "Lisey's Story" - I wouldn't touch his stuff for years after a few clunkers, but I'm slowly rediscovering that he's not a bad writer, he just gets a little out of hand with nonsensical concepts sometimes.

Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson

It has been available on his website in manuscript format for a while, but Tor will be publishing it in book form next March. It gives a good taste of what Sanderson can do in a single volume (rather than a series). His worldbuilding is very good and this book has an intriguing magic system relying on colors and "Breath". Recommended (so far).

EDIT: Ok, the book ended a bit abruptly and a little "cutesy", but tied up everything nicely and left room for more adventures in this world. It seems Sanderson will definitely put a nice bow on Jordan's Wheel of Time when he finishes that series out. Still recommended.

:Smokin:

I agree with ya on Bret's view on his responsibility... That and he took the opportunity to paint HBK in the worst light possible - can't say I blame him... I use to really like HBK (he lost some respect after Montreal but I held out that bit of hope he was still a good guy) - after this book, not so much...

Thanks for the recommend on the Funk book - didn't know he had one out.. I'll definitely be on the look out for it!!!

Just got a book for Christmas - Blackbeard... It's a small author, small publisher was doing a bookstore signing and mom thought I'd be interested in reading it... Not too deep in but it's not bad...

I love my historical reading!!

Several things are in cicrculation in the Luther household:

1) I'm close to finishing Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle! The only part left is Book 8: The System of the World! Quite an endurance test to get through this stuff, but it's worth it.

2) I'm reading Soldier of Arete, by Gene Wolfe, and will read the newest one, Soldier of Sidon, soon. As much as I appreciate Wolfe's writing - his stories are so well written and crafted to almost be on another plane of existence, reading his books is often more of an academic exercise. His characters always strike me as a bit sterile, and as I've been reading the Soldier series, I figured out what bugs me: his characters hardly ever show any inquisitiveness or curiosity about their own predicaments. The writing / narration is always very matter-of-fact, no matter how strange the events are.

3) I will also read Dies the Fire, by SM Stirling, to check out his Change books and see if I like one.

Ken