Now Reading...

Very slowly working my way through Guy Gavriel Kay's "A Song For Arbonne." Dude's more miss than hit with me and this is teetering on the side of a miss. Beautiful writing, but the momentum is nonexistent.

Not sure what's next. I think probably Diana Gabaldon's "Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade," or maybe Greg Bear's "Queen of Angels." Or I could finish "Renegade's Magic." There's nothing out there I'm dying to read right now, that's been published yet.

Oh -- Tad Williams announced that he's going to have to split "Shadowrise" into two novels, the second part to follow a couple months after the first. I'm not sure the man understands the meaning of the word "concise." :lol:

Very slowly working my way through Guy Gavriel Kay's "A Song For Arbonne." Dude's more miss than hit with me and this is teetering on the side of a miss. Beautiful writing, but the momentum is nonexistent.

I liked the first two (?) of his Fionavar Tapestry books, but lost the third one, I think it was, in the middle of reading it and kinda never got back to 'em.

As for "miss," the British writer who comes to mind on that is Brian Aldiss' Helliconia books...finished the first one, barely, started the second one, decided I'd had enough and quit. That's rare for me....hell, I even finished that lousy Midshipman Halcyon Blythe book. :ill:

Oh -- Tad Williams announced that he's going to have to split "Shadowrise" into two novels, the second part to follow a couple months after the first. I'm not sure the man understands the meaning of the word "concise." :lol:

But at least he knows the meaning of the phrase "good stuff." :heh:

I just finished James Clemens' Shadowfall. It was interesting. Very unusual milieu and form of magic. I'll read the second book of the series.

I just started reading The Warrior Elite: The Forging of Seal Class 228 by Dick Couch. Somebody left it on the plane after one of my flights. Seems pretty interesting so far.

Actually reading all of the Dark Tower books since I started them back in the mid-90's and never finished. Makes me want to listen to Demons and Wizards.

Just over halfway through Atlas Shrugged...I know, because there's a cardboard advertising insert for Rand's Objectivism exactly halfway through. It's only about 20 years old. :heh:

I didn't know until yesterday that there was a a bit of a debate amongst Rand scholars as to which speech is better, Francisco D'Anconia's speech about money (earlier in) or the famous speech by John Galt near the end, so I re-read the earlier passage with that in mind. I do know which speech is shorter, and it ain't Galt's. :lol:

Going thru the Sookie Stackhouse ("True Blood") series... I could take or leave the books until the fourth - Dead to the World - couldn't put that one down... I started watching True Blood before reading the books - I like the series ALOT better... All the characters in the books are given more life - oooo pardon the pun...

the books are ok.. I like the series alot better... (the author, Charlene Harris' style of writing is a bit rough.. sometimes places where you think there should be like a new chapter started or at least a type of break, it just keeps going - makes ya feel like ya missed something... But from book 1 to 5 (which I'm currently on, it's ok right now) her writing's gotten better..

But I'm still reading them

Actually reading all of the Dark Tower books since I started them back in the mid-90's and never finished. Makes me want to listen to Demons and Wizards.

I loved the first four books...read each of them multiple times. I didn't care for the turn that the series took in the 5th book, and I was very disappointed with the last two in the series. I felt like he started off with a brilliant idea, but painted himself into a corner and couldn't figure out how to get out. I haven't read any Stephen King since!

Next up will be one of my bargain bin finds from Barnes & Noble:

Mozart - Marcia Davenport
The Soloist - Steve Lopez

Finished both of these – very interesting reads!

Mozart had quite a sorry existence, despite his musical genius. Some of it was his own doing, as he couldn’t quite seem to live within his means. But his “means” were pretty limited, given that musicians pretty much had servant status back then…and there was no copyright law. Once he’d been paid a pittance for a particular composition, the music publishers made boatloads of money printing copies of the music…and those who owned musical venues raked in the cash staging his operas. But Mozart never benefited from any of that…and died deeply in debt. :mad:

The Nathanial Ayers story was interesting as well. He was a student at Julliard when mental illness turned his life upside-down…and he ended up living on the streets in Los Angeles. It’s one of those books that really puts life in perspective. Too often I feel like throwing myself a pity party over all the minor complaints I have with my life…but then I realize that I’m actually very fortunate. :oops:

I’m on a musical kick now, so I’m going to try and pick up “Musicophilia” by Oliver Sacks again. I got really excited when this first came out, but the first couple of chapters were all about how stuff can go *wrong* with music and brain chemistry, such as people who have music-induced seizures and people who have musical hallucinations. I got aggravated and put the book down. Hopefully, I will find that the rest of it will be a little more uplifting!

I finished The Warrior Elite: The Forging of Seal Class 228 by Dick Couch yesterday. Great book. I thought it would be okay, but it was a really enjoyable read. It REALLY makes me admire guys who become Navy SEALs. Wow! They're hard core.

Princeps' fury - Jim Butcher

Next up: Night of knives : a novel of the Malazan Empire by Ian C.Esslemont.
Esslemont is co-creator of the Malazan Empire with Steven Erickson, but is just starting to write his books set in that world.

I loved the first four books...read each of them multiple times. I didn't care for the turn that the series took in the 5th book, and I was very disappointed with the last two in the series. I felt like he started off with a brilliant idea, but painted himself into a corner and couldn't figure out how to get out. I haven't read any Stephen King since!

Well, when I had started reading them the last book to come out was The Wastelands, which I just finished, so they're still good at this point. I'm excited to finally see what happens after they get to "Topeka." Hopefully the books don't start sucking too bad, but I guess i'll see. I'm not the kind of person who can keep reading a book or series when it ceases to hold my interest just to finish it.

...Night of knives : a novel of the Malazan Empire by Ian C.Esslemont.
Esslemont is co-creator of the Malazan Empire with Steven Erickson, but is just starting to write his books set in that world.

Surprisiingly short at <300 pages. Similar to Erickson in style, but his terminology is a little different.

NR: In shade and shadow - Barb and J.C. Hendee.

I finally got through Renegade's Magic - I really enjoy what Robin Hobb has to say about humanity, but sometimes she takes so damn long to get to the point. It ended much like the Fool books, too... kinda repetitive in that respect.

Now working on Greg Bear's Queen of Angels. A lot of pseudo-future-jargon, doesn't feel entirely right. I have the feeling Peter F. Hamilton found some inspiration in the lead female character.