Now Reading...

I'm looking for a few suggestions. I'm about to wrap up the Raymond Feist series and don't feel like rereading any of the other series I've read:

David Eddings
Robert Jordan
R.A. Salvatore
George RR Martin
Tolkien, of course
Terry Goodkind
Piers Anthony (about 1/4 of the Xanth novels but lost interest)
Frank Herbert

I'm sure I've missed an author or two. I usually like to read series versus standalone novels. Anything along the fantasy/wizard/magician stuff is pretty good for me. Never got too much into Anne McCaffrey but probably should give it another try. I'm too lazy to go back through the 49 pages here looking for good suggestions.....

If you're delving back into Anne McCaffrey, try to include the Harper Hall novels (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, Dragondrums) if you "go back to the beginning." They run concurrently with the original Pern trilogy, but are, if anything, superior works.

For other epic "high fantasy" works you haven't read yet (per your authors list), I'd suggest:

• Barry Hughart, The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox -- brilliant, but hard-to-find, high fantasy set in ancient China. Great fun to read and flawlessly executed.
  • Tad Williams: the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy -- great interrelationships, great traditional high fantasy.
  • Katherine Kurtz: the Chronicles of the Deryni
  • Ursula K. LeGuin: the Earthsea trilogy (actually I think it's 4 books now)
  • Guy Gavriel Kay: the Fionavar Tapestry (trilogy)
"Grittier" sword-and-sorcery series:

• Michael Moorcock: the Eternal Champion Cycle (Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon, Erekose)
  • Fritz Leiber: the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser books
Funny, yet often incisive fantasy:

• Terry Pratchett: the Discworld series
Darker fantasy:

• Jacqueline Carey: the Kushiel trilogy (starts with Kushiel's Dart) -- excellent series with strong (!) female lead character. Highly recommended.
  • Storm Constantine: the Wraeththu trilogy -- the single most influential fantasy I've encountered in the last ten years and the origin of my nickname here. Storm's Grigori and Magravandian trilogies are good, too. Fine writer and a truly nice person.
I'm re-reading the Belgaraid, by David Eddings. I read it back in high school, but I recently purchased The Mallorean, so I wanted to refresh my membory about the characters and their background. It's like reading the books for the first time, because I've forgotten so much. Though I'm still not looking forward to the introduction of Ce'nedra.

You'll find that the Mallorean is remarkably similar to the plot in the Belgariad -- so similar, in fact, that at one point the characters start quipping about the similarities. I restrained the urge the throw the book across the room. :lol:

Oh, I just finished Tanya Huff's Blood Lines and Blood Pact together in one volume -- both excellent.

Have just started Eric Flint's 1632, and I'm looking forward to some alternate-history fantasy after some really good vampire books. :)

I'm almost done with Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy - I'm finding it rather heavily clichéd in places, but it's so well executed that I don't really care that much.

Following that, I have Wizard of Earthsea (it's been SO long since I've read it), the expanded Beggars in Spain (loved the novella), Imago (3rd in a trilogy which went out of print before I finished the first two), and then a second huge trade ppb SF anthology that I got for two bucks...

Thanks for the suggestions. I nver seem to get enough time to do a lot of research on the novels I want to read. Suggestions usually work well for me and tend to be consistent with my interests.

Are you guys familiar with Bernard Cornwell and his work? Great historical fiction writer. I'm reading his Saxon Stories saga, currently on the third book, Lords of the North. Great stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saxon_Stories

Ordered The Last Kingdom for my wife. This is right up her alley. I enjoyed the Wilbur Smith novels. He's a great historical fiction writer. His ancient Egyptian novels were excellent. Taita is like an ancient Thomas Edison.

Joe Abercrombie- The First Law Trilogy

Going to try this series.

For other epic "high fantasy" works you haven't read yet (per your authors list), I'd suggest:

• Barry Hughart, The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox -- brilliant, but hard-to-find, high fantasy set in ancient China. Great fun to read and flawlessly executed.
  • Tad Williams: the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy -- great interrelationships, great traditional high fantasy.
  • Katherine Kurtz: the Chronicles of the Deryni
  • Ursula K. LeGuin: the Earthsea trilogy (actually I think it's 4 books now)
  • Guy Gavriel Kay: the Fionavar Tapestry (trilogy)
"Grittier" sword-and-sorcery series:

• Michael Moorcock: the Eternal Champion Cycle (Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon, Erekose)
  • Fritz Leiber: the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser books
Funny, yet often incisive fantasy:

• Terry Pratchett: the Discworld series
Darker fantasy:

• Jacqueline Carey: the Kushiel trilogy (starts with Kushiel's Dart) -- excellent series with strong (!) female lead character. Highly recommended.
  • Storm Constantine: the Wraeththu trilogy -- the single most influential fantasy I've encountered in the last ten years and the origin of my nickname here. Storm's Grigori and Magravandian trilogies are good, too. Fine writer and a truly nice person.

I'm going to have to print this list off for future reference.

I'm almost done with Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy - I'm finding it rather heavily clichéd in places, but it's so well executed that I don't really care that much.

Following that, I have Wizard of Earthsea (it's been SO long since I've read it), the expanded Beggars in Spain (loved the novella), Imago (3rd in a trilogy which went out of print before I finished the first two), and then a second huge trade ppb SF anthology that I got for two bucks...

Heard a lot of good things about this series so I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Oh dear...Maybe purchasing the series was a mistake. :loco:

Nahh. Eddings tosses in a nifty, kinda throwaway plot-twist at one point in the Mallorean that almost makes the whole refried journey worthwhile.

Thanks for the suggestions. I nver seem to get enough time to do a lot of research on the novels I want to read. Suggestions usually work well for me and tend to be consistent with my interests.
(...)
I'm going to have to print this list off for future reference.

I adapted it from here: http://www.paulcashman.com/favbooks.html

I need to revise that page, too, with some updates and additions.

Just finished Hogfather, Good Omens, and a scholarly book on Hindu Goddesses. Next in the cache is Final Watch, then the last two installments of the Sandman, maybe re-read American Gods after that.

Since Memorial Day, I knocked out 5 books.. Karie Moning's Fever series and LK Hamilton's Flirt... And I'm about 2/3 thru her newest Anita Blake book, Bullet..

Finally finished the Sanderson trilogy - I ended up very impressed that he did a good job of stretching the plot across three books and relating endgame revelations to seemingly unimportant details from the first.

Finally finished the Sanderson trilogy - I ended up very impressed that he did a good job of stretching the plot across three books and relating endgame revelations to seemingly unimportant details from the first.

This will be good practice for ending the WoT books....'cause there's a LOT to tie together. :D

I'm nearly done with 1632 by Eric Flint. Really enjoying it; I'll probably order the sequel soon, or pick it up.
The new Honor Harrington book from David Weber should be arriivng within a day or two, though.....can't wait! It even shipped a little early! :kickass:

Finished Eric Flint's 1632 -- really good, I'll be getting the sequel immediately. As I expected, many of the characters and details are historically accurate, which adds a lot to the book. (A town in contemporary West Virginia suddenly being swapped through time for Germany in 1632 is probably not historical, though. :lol: )

Now reading Mission of Honor by David Weber, the long-awaited Honor Harrington novel, and it is great.
Weber and his publisher were doubtless taking some heat from fans over the recent books in the same universe that are centered on other characters, as this one is clearly marked "The new novel starring Honor Harrington" on the front cover. :)

Just finished:

Just After Sunset, by Stephen King. Short stories, very hit or miss.

a re-read of War of the Twins, by Weis & Hickman. I'm not enjoying the series as much as I remember when I was younger, but I'm not finding this better than the Dragonlance trilogy.

Now reading: the second half of House of Chains, by Steven Erikson.

Up next: Iorich, by Stephen Brust.

Ken

a re-read of War of the Twins, by Weis & Hickman. I'm not enjoying the series as much as I remember when I was younger, but I'm not finding this better than the Dragonlance trilogy.

I liked War of the Twins, but not nearly as much as the DL Chronicles. In fact, I re-read the Chronicles two or three years ago. :) Still enjoyed it just as much then as I did when I was 16. I haven't felt a desire to re-read WoT yet. Maybe if I end up getting the annotated version...

I'm about halfway through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Went ahead and ordered the other two already...

I enjoyed those books as well. Mistborn was a bit slow and took me a while to get through, but I was pretty well hooked all through Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages. The fact that Sanderson took up the reigns of the Wheel of Time makes me almost want to get back into them...except I stopped reading them years ago, after Crown of Swords and it would be quite a chore to try and get up to speed with the new book.

Instead, I am about to finally start reading Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself. Been on my list for a long time, hope its up my alley as much as it seems from the hype.